Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

single core or dual core?

Hi guys, I'm researching what second computer to buy for my Level d 767 cockpit. "Fs2004"

The first computer a duo core 2 e6600@2.7Ghz 4 GIG Ram with 8800gt would run FS2004 + LevelD + Sb + Activesky + Internet etc

The second computer only needs to run the outside forward visual and maybe a second left view. Will the 2 computer setup only run as fast as the slowest computer? Considering fs2004 only uses 1 core, what would be better do you think, a single core pentium 4 around 3.0 - 3.4 ghz or a dual core e5300 or so @ 2.4 - 2.6 ghz for a 2nd machine? Any idea of fram rates to expect?

Any help would be great here folks as I'm ready to buy the second box now ( Limited budget) so I would hate to waste it on something that won't really work properly.

Thanks to all
    Drewsta

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Re: single core or dual core?

It's better to run Sb and ActiveSky at the second computer as well.

That second computer does not have to be super fast. Your fps will be determined by the speed of your FS pc. It's better to take a dual core at the highest clockspeed available for that FS pc.

Don't see how why (and how?) you want to run those visuals at the 2nd pc? Just put another video card in your FS pc and run it over there.

regards,
    Nico Kaan

Hi Drewsta,

Quite al lot of system performance depends on your OS.
    More than 3 Gigs of ram are useless for 32bit OS's... they simply can not count that far... not enough bits.
    Rendering scenery is the hardest for your CPU.

My latest system I ran FS9;
    Asus P5Q mobo with, E8400 dual core @ standard 3GHz, 4 Gb DDR2 Ram @ 1066. Win7-pro_64, Palit 9800GTX+
    FS9 running with heavy add-on scenery packs.
    Performance: > 100 fps at full sliders on any scenery or airport.

Add on's:
    Pilots Global FS 2008 (3 DVD's)
    Terramesch Ultimate terrain Europe
    NL2000 Dutch scenery V3 (5 DVD's)

Kind regards, Nico
    Intel DX58SO, i7_920, 6GB DDR3,
    WD Velociraptor, 9800GTX+, Win7_64

Quote Originally Posted by kiek View Post
    It's better to run Sb and ActiveSky at the second computer as well.

That second computer does not have to be super fast. Your fps will be determined by the speed of your FS pc. It's better to take a dual core at the highest clockspeed available for that FS pc.

Don't see how why (and how?) you want to run those visuals at the 2nd pc? Just put another video card in your FS pc and run it over there.

regards,
    Nico Kaan
    Hey Nico, My current motherboard only has 1 pci e slot so I can't run dual cards on the fs pc. Would my one pc really run fs2004 with leveld 767 plus addons with up to 4 screens at around 25 frames with dual cards? I thought I'd have to have a second computer running wideview or widefs to run the outside visuals. I' a little confused these days about what I really need to have it all work. I just want to be able to have level d running with fs2004, a cptns panel, an engine panel, an fo's panel and forward visuals (maybe a side visual later) all running at 25 frames a sec. I was guessing it would be cheaper just to buy a second computer with a gpu installed than change my motherboard etc.

If it's just the visuals then why not buy a TripleHead2go and a better video card which is capable of higher fill rates? I think this would be a much more elegant solution for your visuals than to try to force FS9 into doing something it wasn't natively designed to do (slaving multiple computers to display different outside views ... X-plane & Flightgear both have this feature natively built-in, unfortunately FS does not and this is why you should consider the wideview approach as a very hacky solution).

A 2nd pc in a FS setup should really be used for driving a glass cockpit, since they are basically external programs which act as peripherals and do not require a powerfull processor to drive 2D displays.

Ohh dear...hahah I feel like i'm just going around in circles. I have the triple head to go digital edition but I can't get it to do what I want. It won't display 3 seperate monitors for me it will only seem to stretch the desktop across 2 monitors and when Fs2004 comes up it flickers and ends up crashing. I was also told that for what I want the th2go is a real overkill and that I should just get a cheap second computer with a decent gpu? Thankyou for your input i do appreciate it but now i'm just more confused about what i should do.

It seems what I should be doing is getting a fast computer that can support 2 graphics cards and just run the entire cockpit from that one pc?

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsta View Post
    It seems what I should be doing is getting a fast computer that can support 2 graphics cards and just run the entire cockpit from that one pc?
    Indeed.
    And add a small notebook for SB and Activesky.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsta View Post

Drew, that's what I tried to tell you previously in another post. Use the TH2G as it was intended and that is for your outside scenery view. Use the 2nd output from your video card for one of your mip display. If your motherboard only has one PCI-E slot, then get yourself a cheap PCI video card instead. Use that for additional monitors for your mip. Easy.

Regards,
    Henry
    Level D 767
    FSX

OH oh oh hold the phone?? Pci graphics card? You mean there are pci graphics cards and pci-e cards? I thought it was pci-e or apg cards. I feel like such a goose yet enlightened!! So I just need to find a pci graphics card and put that in a pci slot? Now that will save alot of headaches! I didn't realise I could do that. Hmmm ok..so now my Core2 duo e6600@2.7 with 4 gig ram will have 1 x overclocked 8800gt 512 and say 1 x 8400gs 512 (pci). Would that run Fs2004, LVLD767, Activesky6, Squawkbox3, 1 x cptn's Panel > split for Fo + Middle Panel + Forward visuals on a projector at 25fps?

A very thankful
    Drewsta

10+ Posting Member

try to get dual core, i will be expensive but you can work fine with it, and if you want to exchange it then it will be sale easily.
    Packaging Supplier in United States of America

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast