Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Can fs2Phidget do the following ?

I've been trolling around and I think I've seen enough to confirm this, but it would be nice for someone that's done it to just say yes 100% before I lay out some dough !.

Can I build my own radio panel ?
    key pieces I think I would need to make work
    - rotary knobs to feed plus/minus changes into FSX for changing freq.
    - push button to swap freqs
    - a way for FSX to send the freq back out to 7 segment displays controlled by Phidgets through FS2Phidget ?

Would each rotary knobs use up two digital inputs ? one for increase, one for decrease ?

Can FS2Phidget be programmed to increase/decrease a value faster, the faster the knob is turned ?

Would I be correct in assuming I can order ....
    PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8
    http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=613

PhidgetLED with 64 LED connections.
    http://www.phidgets.com/products.php...roduct_id=1030

How about where to order switches and rotary knobs and the 7 segment displays ?
    Would this work for the freq knob ?
    http://www.phidgets.com/products.php...roduct_id=1116

and this 7 segment display ? just stick that in some breadboard and solder wires between it and the Phidget LED interface card ?

http://www.newark.com/avago-technolo...whereElse_None

Thx in advance

Andy (dying to start playing with the next level of flight simming and drive the other half mental).

75+ Posting Member

Re: Can fs2Phidget do the following ?

hi andy -

for setting the freq's, you're probably better off using a dual rotary encoder (for 100's and fractions) -

you would need http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1057

the reason i gave up on this route is that i would have to match the encoder to phidgets and this required me trying a lot of encoders before I found the right one -

Some builders have had success with the Greyhill SERIES 62C http://www.grayhill.com

the freq swap is a simple assignment in FS2P - no issue here -

I have no idea about using phidgets to drive the segment displays -

Hope this helps!

fc

builder

Andy,

Unfortunately, Phidgets have not supplied cards specfically for 7-segment displays for some time now. That really only leaves their LCDs. A downside to the supplied LCDs is their size, especially when trying to install in tight places.

Bear in mind that OEM manufacturers like Grimes are switching to LCDs.
    i.e. going LCD might be more in line with latest trend in flight decks.

Cannot comment on whether LED card will drive 7-segment displays.
    Have not tried it. Guess might be theoretically possible, but hopefully someone will weigh in with a practical and definitive answer on this.

Take that all back! I just had a look at the Phidgets web site. They are bringing out a 1031 model that will support 7-segment. However, F2Ph doesn't currently drive individual 7-segment elements thru the LED card.
    Something I now plan on adding.

Regards,
    Alan

Hey Alan, its great to hear from you, I had seen some post that you may have stopped development. I'm 200% more convinced to invest in some Phidgets since you are still active !

Can you recommend any specific makes and models of rotary encoders to use with Phidgets, so far the one recommended below is about $70 which is far too expensive to make building my own radio panel comparable to just buying one.

So far I've seen 100s of rotary encoders anywhere from a few $ to $70.

Can you confirm/discuss the recommendation below about using the "1057 - PhidgetEncoder HighSpeed" with a rotary encoder for a radio tuning knob ? I'd really like to understand why I can't use the regular Encoder which is 1/2 the price ?
    Also assuming I did purchase a dual rotary encoder, I assume I would need to buy two PhidgetEncoders per dual rotary encoder ?

Just to share some thoughts about what I'm trying to do.....As a first step into building a complete flight sim. I'd like to build my own radio panel and try to come out without spending more than just buying the radio panel complete.

The radio panel seemed like a nice example of multiple interfaces methods of both physical inputs and outputs to FSX. I figured if I can make push buttons, rotary switches and 7 segment displays work it would mainly be a case of building out the same more times.

Lets say Saitek as an example of what I'd like to build myself.
    http://www.saitek.com/UK/prod/pfradio.htm ($150 cost).

That's two dual rotary encoders and two rotary encoders at lets say $10 each (which would mean 6 Phidget Encoders at $30 each). That's $220, and I haven't even got the push switches, 7 segment LEDs, Phidget cards for driving LEDs and reading switches, and hardware to build the front panel.

Is this cost estimate exercise accurate and should I be prepared to spend this much if I want to build something similar to Saitek ?

Not that I'm not prepared, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious and buying the wrong thing.

Oh and one more question I haven't looked at your software yet, but I was sort of assuming I could use it to take a value from FSX, figure out which of 7 LED outputs needed to be lit in order to drive a 7 segment display. (and assuming the current Phidget display card would provide enough juice to light up an LED segment instead of a regular LED).

Thanks in advance

Andy

builder

Hey Alan, its great to hear from you, I had seen some post that you may have stopped development. I'm 200% more convinced to invest in some Phidgets since you are still active !

Can you recommend any specific makes and models of rotary encoders to use with Phidgets, so far the one recommended below is about $70 which is far too expensive to make building my own radio panel comparable to just buying one.
    Not really my area of expertise. I have seen this topic discussed many times on various threads over the years. I would suggest searching some older threads.

So far I've seen 100s of rotary encoders anywhere from a few $ to $70.

Can you confirm/discuss the recommendation below about using the "1057 - PhidgetEncoder HighSpeed" with a rotary encoder for a radio tuning knob ? I'd really like to understand why I can't use the regular Encoder which is 1/2 the price ?
    Also assuming I did purchase a dual rotary encoder, I assume I would need to buy two PhidgetEncoders per dual rotary encoder ?
    Dual (from duo = two) encoders are 2 encoders. You can use either encoder card.

Just to share some thoughts about what I'm trying to do.....As a first step into building a complete flight sim. I'd like to build my own radio panel and try to come out without spending more than just buying the radio panel complete.

The radio panel seemed like a nice example of multiple interfaces methods of both physical inputs and outputs to FSX. I figured if I can make push buttons, rotary switches and 7 segment displays work it would mainly be a case of building out the same more times.

Lets say Saitek as an example of what I'd like to build myself.
    http://www.saitek.com/UK/prod/pfradio.htm ($150 cost).

That's two dual rotary encoders and two rotary encoders at lets say $10 each (which would mean 6 Phidget Encoders at $30 each). That's $220, and I haven't even got the push switches, 7 segment LEDs, Phidget cards for driving LEDs and reading switches, and hardware to build the front panel.

Is this cost estimate exercise accurate and should I be prepared to spend this much if I want to build something similar to Saitek ?
    No idea. I will defer to some of our more savvy builders.
    Plan on devouting 80% of your time to designing and 20% to builiding. Only way to shortcut design time is to buy unit already assembled. I have not used the Saitek unit, but that price is certainly a good deal.

Not that I'm not prepared, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious and buying the wrong thing.

Oh and one more question I haven't looked at your software yet, but I was sort of assuming I could use it to take a value from FSX, figure out which of 7 LED outputs needed to be lit in order to drive a 7 segment display.
    As the legal folks say - Asked and Answered - See my previous response

(and assuming the current Phidget display card would provide enough juice to light up an LED segment instead of a regular LED).
    You should download the product manual and study power requirements.

Thanks in advance

Andy