Thread: software

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

software

As im in the process of building a 727 i want to start with the right software rather than change it halfway through .

At the minute im running FS9 and captain sim 727

But would i be better off buying FSX?

Also has anyone used both captain sim 727 and dreamfleet 727 as i would like to know which is the better version all round ?

Many thanks bigbore

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Re: software

come on guys , who has used both fs9 and fsx ? Do i stay with fs9 or upgrade to fsx ?

cheers bigbore

I think that really depends on your PC and how much time you are willing to spend tweaking.
    I have just upgraded from FS9 to FSX and initially was very disapointed as it was very slow and juddery with blurred scenery.
    I upgraded to a Quad core Q9400 Overclocked to 3.5GHz and got a great improvement but I was using Photo scenery and it was still a bit blurry.
    I found this was due to the texture files loading speed so installed an Adaptec Hardware Raid controller with 4 disks in mode 0 and now the scenery is crisp and it runs really smooth.

So to conclude, in my opinion it is worth upgrading but be prepared to upgrade your PC specs and spend a lot of time correctly configuring FSX to acheive acceptable performance.

150+ Forum Groupie

A very simple answer: upgrade to FSX.

a longer, more involved answer:
    If you need better graphics MSFS relies MORE on CPU than GPU so if FS(x) is what you mainly use as a game then spend more on a CPU and a good MB and a FANTASTIC cooler and OC a little

I have a quad 2.83GHz OC'ed to 3.15GHz, 5GB DDR800 ram and a GTX250 graphics card. Then i set my FPS to unlimited - why?? Because it uses processing power to limit this!!! I now get, depending on scenery complexity, between 45 and 215FPs. Most of my sliders are set to max except water which i leave at around low 2x i think - i use WOAI with around 360+/- AI airlines loaded including cargo AI. The wierd thing, just a note - if i set my FPS to 20 it dops to 17 or 18 at VERY dense areas like heathrow or JFK with all that AI but with unlimited it has never been below 35 that i can remember - let's just say it is ALWAYS smooth!!!

I also, initially, had an INTEL MB which cost me around $350 when i got it - trust me, THE most useless MB i have ever had. I changed it and made no other changes and already my FPS was up by about 25% and i hadn't even OC'd yet.

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TasKiNG View Post
    I think that really depends on your PC and how much time you are willing to spend tweaking.
    I have just upgraded from FS9 to FSX and initially was very disapointed as it was very slow and juddery with blurred scenery.
    I upgraded to a Quad core Q9400 Overclocked to 3.5GHz and got a great improvement but I was using Photo scenery and it was still a bit blurry.
    I found this was due to the texture files loading speed so installed an Adaptec Hardware Raid controller with 4 disks in mode 0 and now the scenery is crisp and it runs really smooth.

So to conclude, in my opinion it is worth upgrading but be prepared to upgrade your PC specs and spend a lot of time correctly configuring FSX to acheive acceptable performance.
    Does NASA know you have one of their PC's???

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    A very simple answer: upgrade to FSX.

a longer, more involved answer:
    If you need better graphics MSFS relies MORE on CPU than GPU so if FS(x) is what you mainly use as a game then spend more on a CPU and a good MB and a FANTASTIC cooler and OC a little

I have a quad 2.83GHz OC'ed to 3.15GHz, 5GB DDR800 ram and a GTX250 graphics card. Then i set my FPS to unlimited - why?? Because it uses processing power to limit this!!! I now get, depending on scenery complexity, between 45 and 215FPs. Most of my sliders are set to max except water which i leave at around low 2x i think - i use WOAI with around 360+/- AI airlines loaded including cargo AI. The wierd thing, just a note - if i set my FPS to 20 it dops to 17 or 18 at VERY dense areas like heathrow or JFK with all that AI but with unlimited it has never been below 35 that i can remember - let's just say it is ALWAYS smooth!!!

I also, initially, had an INTEL MB which cost me around $350 when i got it - trust me, THE most useless MB i have ever had. I changed it and made no other changes and already my FPS was up by about 25% and i hadn't even OC'd yet.
    Does NASA know you have their other PC???

75+ Posting Member

Hmz... i won 't tell wich computer I'm using... (the 3th NASA thing)

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nixon View Post
    Does NASA know you have their other PC???
    Yeah LOL they sponsored it (I WISH)

Does NASA know you have one of their PC's???
    LOL thats the big problem with FSX that you need a NASA computer to run it. Already thinking about updrading