Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

do 2 computers really work guys?

Hey all, I just can't get my Th2go to work for my Mip panels after 7 days and countless hours of troubleshooting. I'm guessing the Th2go DE is a bit of an overkill for what I need anyway. I am opting for a 2 computer setup with a good graphics card in each that will give me 4 outputs. I have read many a thread on 2 computer setups and some totally swear by it but some say they get the worst performance they have ever seen with fs2004! Using wideFS i believe I could network 2 computers and then attach 3 monitors and 1 projector to the 4 graphics outputs, then click and drag the screens around as necessary. This would work right? Are there any hidden things I should know about before buying a second computer? My first computer is an intel e6600@2.7 8800gt overclocked with 4 gig ram. (3.2 with XP32).

things like : Can I run fs2004 and level d 767 over 2 computers? Use one computer to display the mip panels and use the other for overhead and forward visuals?

Thanks all
    Drewsta

Re: do 2 computers really work guys?

Take a look at this .... all the info you need:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13985

These guys are going the 2 computer route for performance, not because it makes it easier to setup panels on the MIP. Not sure why you are having problems. Here's my one computer setup:

video card 1 out 1 ---> TH2G 3 22" LCD for scenery
    video card 1 out 2 ---> 17" for Capt, VGA splitter 2nd 17" for FO
    video card 2 out 1 ---> 19" wide LCD for center panel

Once you drag all the panels in place you must save that situation (at whatever airport you fly out off is best) otherwise if you just select the LevelD 767 next time you have to do the setup again. Every time you want to fly load that saved situation, then select your airport, weather, flight plan etc for your flight.

Regards,
    Henry
    Level D 767
    FSX

Once again thanks for the fast replies, cheers Henry I will get a second computer as fast or faster than what i have just to be sure.

Thanks
    Drewsta

Mine's mostly the same but I use an 8800GT and an 8800GTS for my video cards and 1 computer.
    8000GT #1 output to 17" touchscreen Showing FMC or GPS
    8800GT #2 output to the TH2Go running 3 projectors for front outside view
    8800GTS #1 output running a 19" monitor for Radio or whatever else I might want to drag there
    8800GTS #2 with a splitter for the 2 19" widescreen monitors for the Capt side and Copilot side (shows the same view)

Touchscreen not shown above center console below middle monitor with GPS. Projectors not fully lined up when I took this pic last year.
    Use your TH2Go for the outside view and the other monitors for cockpit stuff. If you want a 180 or 270 degree outside view then you will have to use multiple computers and monitors wrapped around your sim I've found that the TH2Go works well for the main front view set at a magnification level of .5-.75 or so for best view. It's close enough to the forward left & right views (wide angle) that pattern work is very easy.
    Good luck with your project.
    Regards,
    Brian

FS9 & FSX ERJ-145, E-170, E-190, PIC737, Archer, Arrow, GF-MCPPRO, EFIS, 4GF-P8, 4GFT8, 3GF-166, 3GF-RP48, GF-LGT, GF-ATC, GF-TQ6, 3 Projectors, 5 monitors 1 computer

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

You will not be able to "drag" things between the two computers. If you are wanting to run FS2004 & LevelD you will need to run this on one computer. WideFS only allows data from FS to be transmitted to the client computers. If you want to run other displays on a second+ computers you will need additional software - like Wideview (which only displays views) or remote display software like Project Magenta, FSXpand, etc.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

Ok Auto cheers for that, so I would be able to run fs2004,LevelD767,Captains monitor-split to FO and Middle engine screen from the first computer. From the second computer using widefs or wideview could I run the overhead on another screen plus forward visuals on a projector or only just the forward visuals?

Drewsta

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

You would not be able to display the overhead on the second computer unless you are running third party remote display software (like PM). Wideview can display "views" only. What I mean by views is outside views, spot views, etc but no gauges or panel displays. Wideview does not displays those.

The bottom line is that you cannot display gauges or panels on separate computers unless the remote computers have special software (like PM, FSXpand, etc.). There is some third party freeware available though.

If you are running FS2004 and have a reasonably fast CPU, then you should be able to run everything from one computer including the front outside view on a TH2Go.

Remember, WideFS does not send displays or views to remote computers. It only sends data back and forth for the software to use - like the aircraft's position, airspeed, altitude, heading, switch positions, commands, etc.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC