...am I missing something here?
    Jon

75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: MD-80 Project Shots 1

I haven't posted parts in a while, but I am posting these now, and will likely be posting more in another couple of weeks. At this time, I have a large number of floor panels, the cockpit tiller/parking brake assembly (and they included some of the sidewall panels!), throttle quadrant, rudder pedal covers and the rudder pedal guides as well, the cockpit jumpseat assembly (possibly the shoulder belt and locking mechanism too), landing gear lever assembly, and the missing overhead panel lightplates coming. I am still in the market for an overhead panel frame for a true MD-80 with the engine sync in the upper right corner. What I have presently isn't WRONG for an MD-80, but since I'm modelling (within an acceptable margin of error) a purely American Airlines look, I'd like to try to improve as best as I can. The avionics will be using Boeing NG style radios, but otherwise, the bulk of the components will be accurate. (Obviously some won't be modelled into FSX).

I'll try to start posting pictures as they start getting created. At this point, I have two possible layouts for how to create the rest of the structure:
    1.) The cockpit will be purely authentic as able. No keyboards laying out, no fake stuff...just the pure MD-80 stuff. In the back, I plan to have a workstation that will enable computer access, some of the other stuff through a traditional layout, possibly an outside view. I'd considered the possibility of adding in a camera in one of the overhead lights to allow cockpit recording of voice and that into a recording....but that's WAY down the road.\

2.) The second would be purely cockpit authenticity as well, but would actually have the modelling of the L1 passenger and R1 service doors, as well as the flight attendant jumpseat. The computer would be into the back wall (via large flatscreen) and would have a drop down keyboard that would let someone sit in the flight attendant jumpseat and pull the computer keyboard down. It'd be a very cool way to integrate it, but would add over 30 inches to the project as well as a couple of thousand dollars that would be able to improve the cockpit.

Either way, having come as far as I have, I have to say that the MD-80 project is SO much easier than I thought. Within the next few weeks, I will likely be able to actually begin construction on the cockpit structure inside, and the goal is to have the MD-80 cockpit operational in at least a basic form before 2011....a goal which thanks to the help of some tremendous people, is much more feasible.
    Jon

Great looking project...and don't worry, a "pile of random junk" turns slowly into something great in my experience!
    "Tony"

In memory of Flt Lt Tony Hill who, on 5 December 1941, at the request of Doctor R V Jones, successfully photographed a small "Würzburg radar" at Bruneval on the French coast. This from a height of only 200 ft, at high speed, under fire and from a camera mounted obliquely behind the cockpit.

75+ Posting Member

Thanks. I was very intimidated by the scope of the project initially, but basically was told by the wife "You are going to do this if you start it, and you will not change it"....and I'm glad I kinda had that pushing me initially, as the farther I go, the more I'm learning that it is really not extremely difficult to create an MD-80 cockpit. I was scared to death about all the little cubbies and structures, but from talking to an MD-80 mechanic friend of mine and looking through the Illustrated Parts Catalog, I have come to realize that nearly everything in the cockpit is in some form of assembly that is easily removable, including the sidewall structures!! He basically advised me that the Douglas cockpits were loved by the flight crews as they were inserted into a completed airframe, whereas Boeing builds the airframe, then slides the cockpit in and "closes it up".

I have not purchased the true sidewalls for the MD-80 yet, so I can't say whether or not that can happen, but I think that the worst "hiccup" thus far has been the rear seat rails, which are part of the airframe. I'm thinking of trying to get someone with a CNC machine or something to take these and fabricate the rear rails for some of the other cockpit designers.

Also, I had dramatically overestimated the flight deck length. Initially I'd planned for around 7-8 feet (not knowing how far back the rudder pedals went), but I've come to realize that the flight deck length is at approximately 76 inches!!! So this leaves me with a lot more room than I'd thought. All in all, it's a diamond in the rough thus far...looking forward to seeing how integration goes.
    Jon

75+ Posting Member

On 1 April, my MD-80 components arrived from Kingman Aviation. As a result, the upstairs looks like a plane crash...parts EVERYWHERE. These guys worked with me and sent me SO much stuff that I'm still trying to sort it all out and organize it into structures. However, the 2 dimensional cockpit is done. From here on, I am beginning to build this into a 3D cockpit. From here, the things that I need are gradually beginning to evolve from "an overhead panel" to a "briefcase/sidewall structure", and my expected spendings are devolving from $2000 at a pop to the possibility of getting a bunch of what I'm looking for for $400-500, and the knowledge that $2000 will go a LONG ways.

At this point, the biggest primary goal is to create the upper part of the flight deck structure in a manner that will allow it to be semi modular, yet obviously sturdy. More to come. I will be uploading photos of components as available, and will do my best to save the "In memorium" with the tail numbers of aircraft as able.

I also want to take the time to thank Julie Greve, the teardown guys, and the pleasant receptionist that now answers the phone with "Ahh Jon, I should have known." hahaha. These guys and gals are the absolute best, and included a number of "easter eggs", as well as a number of things I never would have thought to ask for but would need. They are also helping to reinforce to me how very feasible this project is with nothing more than a naked shell.

The parts were all received, and one of the rudder pedal covers had busted. Well, they decided to pull a third for me, and just threw the busted one in for parts. Additionally, they adapted to the evolution of parts as I discovered what was involved with these parts, such as removing the sliding mount that will allow me to now take the jumpseat and utilize it almost immediately. When I forgot to ask for the shoulder belt, that was thrown in as well at no charge. I received pictures of the outside of some of these birds final days as a "we are still working but haven't forgotten you", and were quick to communicate any possible problems. Julie was very concerned about the seat rails and where they had to cut, and it ended out the spots that she was concerned about were way far forward and are unlikely to present any problems with seat function, but the concern is appreciated, as is the desire to preserve as much as possible for dimensions.

The throttle quadrant was packed in such a manner that it could withstand its OWN plane crash and probably not be dented. It took me 20 minutes, a screwdriver, 1 roofing hammer, a pair of boots/kicks, and two people to get all the parts in.

As far as the stuff goes, there were a few things I had thought to be included that weren't, but really I cannot fault Kingman, because when I mention something, the definition is different from person to person. I'd meant to ask for the quadrant as well as the panels, and while some were included, some weren't. No problems at all. Additionally, some of the floor panels were removed from multiple aircraft due to damage in removing parts (floor panels are hardly worth anything in an aviation market), and thus the panels came from several aircraft.

Is this a problem? Absolutely not. All in all, I spent a total of $2500 and received so much more than I ever could have dreamed. They wanted to make sure that I received *ALL* parts (including some I said I didn't need, but were removed anyways...which is good because I actually DID need themThey were very responsive to everything, and I'm a pretty difficult customer too. I believe in throwing everything out, but I really want to say thank you to everyone at Kingman. They have done an awesome job, and I would hardly say that any of the "issues" mentions bears ANY reason to complain. Throttle quadrants usually run $1000-1500 on their own for a less desirable (among Boeing builders) 727, and a DC-9 (almost invisible on the market) sold for $600+$600 shipping. Additionally, the jumpseat (with mounting hardware), landing gear lever assembly, floor panels, lightplates, tiller wheel assembly, (including parts I already had, but was easier to send intact and remove), and a number of additional parts too numerous to remember...plus throwing in part of the sidewall, the top paneling around the tiller wheel and oxygen delivery, two trash receptacles, some extra floor panels.....and then topping all of that with amazing customer service, responsiveness, and extreme care in the packaging of materials.

The guys at Kingman literally probably saved me THOUSANDS of dollars in a single order, and even some of the competition that I'd priced out said "Wow....that's a heck of a price....you'd better jump on that. We couldn't remove them for the cost of labor in that!"

Jon

150+ Forum Groupie verticallimit's Avatar

Hi Jon
    Wow a nice trottle you got there.
    It will be super when you get all the parts bolted together into a cockpit

http://www.md80project.dk
    Sincerely,

Claus

300+ Forum Addict Anderson/SBSP's Avatar

More realist impossible!!! hehehe What flight model you think use in your project?
    Anderson Roberto de Souza - Brazil / São Paulo
    Blog: www.737ngsim.com.br Twitter: @ARSouza

75+ Posting Member

Claus, thanks: I seem to remember someone who did a great tutorial on how to convert it to FSX. LOL.

I'll be using the CoolSky/Flight1. The realism in terms of hang starts and other options is less than the Maddog, but the level of responsiveness and the level of access that Espen has agreed to let me have once I come to interactivity and connectivity cannot be surpassed. Additionally, I do want the model to be flown by others with less MD-80 time, so that will give them a time without blowing engines and that. I will do my best to teach them things that are not modelled in Flight Sim at all, by either company, in hope that maybe that will help grow.

I will say that the MD-80 cockpit projects are the "Diamond in the Rough" projects. I have around $7000 invested thus far and that includes a cockpit door, the throttle quadrant, shipping on all these different parts, and EVERYTHING that you've seen. When I started the project, I was told by a friend that it was impossible because of the curves, but as I move on, I realize that all the assemblies in the model are added in after construction, and thus a large bulk of these are removable with minimal effort and cost. Additionally, the measurements are imperial (as many are), and the rise is a solid 8 inches after you set the rails on top. This means you take a 2x4 sideways, and one going each other way and VOILA, you have your "elevation", The rise ABOVE that is accurately held by the floor rails. Also, the bulk of these parts are held by screws or easily removable rivets and connected by pulleys. I was told this was a detractor, but if you run pulleys to gears and then to potentiometers......then you have easily accessible potentiometers if something breaks. As for the tiller wheel/parking brake, it has a lever that can be connected to a "momentary on/off" so that the lever contacts the switch to depress it to activate the brakes, then released to deactivate. The bulk of these are basically games of "tug of war". The tiller wheel has a spring to help so you aren't "dragging" it up...the rudders have a spring that pops it back down. Basically, all you need to do is create a shell and then work your way inwards....
    Jon

75+ Posting Member

Some progress updates:
    Also, while you cannot see it, I am in process of getting the rudder pedal linkages repaired and have the holes redrilled to accept a 5/32 screw so that I can break them down and adjust as needed or transport them easily.

Additionally, the structure of the underfloor support for the upper deck level is nearly complete for the first officer's side and then trials will begin on evaluating the effectiveness of the design. The mounting of the throttle quadrant will be the second stage in the process, followed by the pilot's side.

The overhead panel has a new piano hinge arrived, as I'd stumbled into that one at Menards as well, and thus I picked it up.
    Jon

300+ Forum Addict Anderson/SBSP's Avatar

Great Stuff!!!
    Anderson Roberto de Souza - Brazil / São Paulo
    Blog: www.737ngsim.com.br Twitter: @ARSouza

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast