Thread: Hi I'm new here

10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Hi I'm new here

Hi, I'm new here. I really love airplanes and flight sim (now I hate it 'cause my serial key is lost) and like to take my "cockpit" to a higher level.
    I have got MS Flight sim 2004 (serial key lost) and FSX (serial key lost too ) I know I lose a lot of things. I'm 14 years old, live in holland (the Netherlands) run a vista computer with 3 screens (only two are connected) one 22 inch and 2 18 inch smaller ones. I have a saitek pro flight yoke and just som pedals from an old car racing game.
    As I mentioned I wanna make my sim better, i really love the 737 pits I see on the internet and I wanna make something like that, not that realistic but i don't want all my panels and buttons on my screen and keyboard anymore so I thought maybe you guys could tell me where to start (I'm already trying to make a 737-ish yoke myself but I don't know how to do the electronics.)

So that's me, it really is a pleasure to be a member in your community now...

Greetings

Mister-B

Re: Hi I'm new here

Hello Mister B. Welcome, what a great young age to start building, If i had started so young i might have even finished my build by now lol.
    A good place to start is with a few toggle switches and a hacked joystick or joypad, very easy and lots of tutorials around

10+ Posting Member

Thank you, I am pretty young i think but I have always loved airplanes for as far I can remember. I have been looking around how I could make my own switch panel and joystick for not too much money and I understand a lot of it... but there are these things I simply don't know... like what Potentiometer should i use for what and that kind of stuff... and do you need momentary toggle switches for these usb joystick emulators or are just "normal ones" good too?

Anyway thanx for your reply...

Mr. B

Edit: i need to solve the serial key thing first XD
    Last edited by Mister-B; 11-11-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add something

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Welcome
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Hi welcome

at your young age i'm going to guess that cash is going to be a problem for your build so dont aim to high in the acuracy stakes.

take a look at http://rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims...r_cockpit.html a cheap way of converting your existing pc and keyboard (s) to emulate a airliner.

remember in simulations its the suspension of reality that functions best so with a simple build you can remove the aperance of your pc desk and make it look more airliner like and therefore more imersive for your flights.

Super Moderator

Welcome to mycockpit Mister!

Joe

10+ Posting Member

Hey Jaspar, I think time is even a bigger problem than money, as i like to do a lot of stuff myself. I need to keep thinking about school too, and as from 15 I wanted to try gliding maybe I get even less time. Don't forget, I'm even happy when I didn't spend a penny or when I only gained knowledge, I'm just an enthousiast who would like to know how it should be done... Apart from that I think you're right, It will be a dream, but I think I'll find something out, It's not only about the results for me, it's a hobby finding out how this is done and trying to do it myself.

Thanks for your link, that's about the setup i have now but then with a keyboard glued to the ceiling I already made a panel with five switches to control my lights and some other stuff on my desk for less than ten dollars and I'm pretty happy about that, I think it looks better than glueing my keyboard to the ceiling XD

Mr. B