Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Should I go to the next level or not ???

Hi,

Few months ago I posted this thread with subject "Help me decide which way to go... ". I decided then to stay in a simpler kind of layout, and I was (am) happy with that decision. I enjoy almost every day my small but fair "cockpit". I fly almsot 3 months with this layout, but as all humans, I need MORE

Should I start building from scratch a 737-NG cockpit or not ? That's what is in my mind during the last weeks !!!

Budget is the second thing I am worried about. My number one concern is if this hobby is or will be so important to me, so that $$$$ to be spent will offer equal satisfaction, that is, equal flying time to me.

Engavity full panels, and I mean all panels + throtles + twin jokes + pilot and co-pilot full equipment and possibly a shell for housing for all these are my dream of flying as stated in a youtube video I've seen many times since I started this hobby. New PCs and new monitors, in order to keep the "old" cockpit alive and keep on flying with it until the big project comes alive. That would be my dream, but should I do it ? How much time and effort should I spend for that ? What about the budjet ? What about the space needed ? Many, many questions come in mind when thinking about this dream. Should I go to a doctor fellows ?

The other though is to go as I did up to now... That is, on a step by step basis, If I decide to do it this way.... can I have a full size cockpit with only 6 screens (3 monitors + 3 projectors) and one pc ? Meaning can I build a full size cockpit as above, and then install a new PC, new yoke and throtles, and add my twin TH2GOs and my 6 TFT monitors from my "old" cockpit and continue flying full size ?

Just wanted to share my concerns.

Don't get me wrong... if you feel I shoud see a doctor, go on just say it. After all even doctors charge less than this hobby does

Nick

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Should I go to the next level or not ???

Hi Nick,
    Its like all hobby`s you have to be pleasently insane to go,
    were no normal person has gone before(is that right Captain Kirk)
    For the next step it is wise to know your budget and purchase the things you can, again how far are you willing to stretch your budget.
    And is this hobby fullfilling enough to undergo high levels of stress,dissapointments and sleeples nights.
    If you can say yes to all the above ,A new cockpitbuilder is born.
    Welcome to the crazy world of mad builders
    greetz

3. Thanks Nick1150 thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

You seem to already know the answers, but you want our advice.

As you already said;

It's going to cost thousands

You will need more than one PC and a heck of a lot more stuff too

You will need far more time spent building and less spent flying

Only you know if that's what you want, but I'm sure that almost everyone will tell you that during their sim builds there were times they enjoyed it and times they hated it. They will also tell you that it cost them more than they expected. Finally, most of them will tell you it was worth it.

Not much help, but whatever you decide, remember to enjoy it.
    AV-8B Sim Builder. If it won't hover, don't bovver

5. Thanks Nick1150, Sean Nixon thanked for this post

Hi,

Thanks for the replies

To be honest I have thousand of questions... too many for one thread

I guest I should make several new threads asking different things or make these questions here

.... I am stuck

25+ Posting Member

Hi,

if you have thousands of dollars to spend - you can give a complete cockpit a thought. If budget is an issue, you don't even need to think about getting a whole cockpit, even if the idea crosses your mind.
    Like most of us you would have to go step by step. And make sure both your space, your budget and family supprot the project

Make a list of things what you consider most important for yourself. Is it the MCP, is it the radios, is it throttle, is it perhaps the overhead ? Then check if it fits into your budget. By now there are several suppliers if you stick to the 737NG to chose from. Like always, I suppose, the saying is true "you get what you pay for" - although you might get good value for your money, the top products have top prices. research is expensive and time consuming, and that's what you pay for, even if you think "it's just a bit of plastic with a few LEDs and switches in" with material costing a few euros I think, your list is difficult to answer since the price range can be enormous.
    I would not consider buying a complete setup (of course you need the money anyway) for other reasons: If you do your project step by step you have a chance to see (a) if it really is your project and really makees you happy, (b) it's always great to look forward to your new pice of equipment and to finally hold it in your hands - you appreciate it much more and (c) you grow your skills and you will need them. There are always things that don't work the way you expect them to work and if you don't have the slightest idea or knowledge of your parts, your whole system and setup you will also have problems finding the bugs.
    Therefore - do it the slow, but your own way. And if you decide in a year or two to start collecting stamps rather than flying in a sim you did not waste a fortune.

Regards,
    Florian

Thanks,

just a note.. I didn't mention anything about be able to buy the whole thing Or did I ?

I certainly cannot afford such an investment and even if I could I would not do it this way...

I was just refering about the total cost of a full sim theoreticaly

25+ Posting Member

Did I confuse threads ?
    You have too many open on the same subject
    Florian

sorry Florian for that... indeed you are right I did open another similar thread

150+ Forum Groupie

OK I will respond here:

My ideas or 2cents... My ideas and plans changed a number of times. The key is PLANNING!! You need to sit down or fly for a whole weekend and make notes of what you like, what you use and what you want your end result to be. It can cost thousands or hundreds depending on what you want.

i.e. you may want a full blown cockpit with shell and 3 projectors etc etc BUT you can't afford that now... So, plan how you will get there by building stage by stage. Do you have space for your ultimate "goal"?

So put it down on paper. Mine started with a simple "i want more" and I built a very VERY bacis MCP with no LED readouts, light switch and engine panel, built a small circuit board with capacitors and relays and hacked a keyboard for inputs using toggels via the circuit board and push buttons and bought a TM HOTAS Cougar. No sooner had i flown a couple of flights LITERALLY a couple of flights that i decided i needed more.

Again, PLAN - i will build a 737ng/generic cockpit without a FO side. Why? Simple 1st i have no one to fly with!! 2nd reduces cost due to #1 and 3rd space. So now i have started to build FSBUS circuitry, bought 2 x 23" monitors for foward view - may change now to projector!! Then I have a 19" (replaced with 23" LCDs) 4:3 and this will be upper EICAS/Standby and Flag guages. Then I have a 17" CRT for PFD/ND but I think i will use a 19" wide 16:10 for that. My MIP is soon to be built and I have a guy to do panels with a CNC. With the MIP will be the EFIS and MCP and then the OH.

I will initially NOT use a yoke and throttle quadrant because for now my TM HOTAS will do the job and give me nice A3xx fly by wire LOL... but i will still have flap levers, brake lever etc etc - all other levers in the centre.

Perhaps this may change over time perhaps not. It's my cockpit and it is important that i enjoy it!!!

I hope i have shed some light?

In terms of cost - simple -

high cost - off the shelf - quick implementation
    low cost (or reasonable LOL) DIYDIYDIY - slow and painful but i believe more satisfying!!!

Thanks Shearder

I am still in the process of researching the project...

I know I want more, but I cannot afford a full cockpit at once.

The way I see it is to start with this http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=500 , and then go step by step to the final goal. Eventhough I can afford this first step, I am some how thinking alot about those 7000 euros for start up... Dont get me wrong... If I start, there is no way back for me. I know my self... I will have to go till the end, and it will cost $$$$ for that.

The last thing I am worried about is that I do not want at the time being to spend on a second pc. I would like to stay in one pc with 6 monitors as I am right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast