Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Should I go to the next level or not ???

You could spend a fraction of that and build it yourself or get buddies to help you if you can't and use the balance of the 7000 euro for OH, Pedestal ETC - like i said DIY DIY lol

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

If you are willing to spend that amount of $$$ on a single purchase, then why are you wanting to stay away from multiple PC's? It can't be the money.

I just think your sim is going to suffer at some point with just 1 PC.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nixon View Post
    I just think your sim is going to suffer at some point with just 1 PC.
    I agree!! I have 4 PCs with 3 currently running. AND they don't all have to be new. 3 of them are dug out of boxes and throw away areas hat never were thrown away - LOL now i know why i don't throw stuff away!!

You need multiple PCs!! get OLD ones and they work.

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    I agree!!
    Your quad 2.83GHz OC'ed to 3.15GHz, 5GB DDR800 ram and a GTX250 graphics card starting to creak a little then???

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nixon View Post
    Your quad 2.83GHz OC'ed to 3.15GHz, 5GB DDR800 ram and a GTX250 graphics card starting to creak a little then???
    LOL not at all. I don't know what life is like below 35fps but then again i don't know what life is like over 215fsp either

OK this may seem like a little contradiction because IF i limit my FPS to 20 then it dips to 17 and 18 at places like Heathrow and JFK but then again i run around 350+ AI airlines. BUT, if i make it unlimited i never drop below 35FPS that i have ever noticed - strange but true - try that!!

So the answer is no no creaking and in fact it does the job wonderfully and believe it or not it is only around a year old. Processing power is fine, RAM is much of a muchness even if i went to DDR3 1333 ram I wouldn't notice any speed difference. When i bought the GTX250 the GTX series had JUST come out and that card cost me around $250!!!! But I am planning a GPU upgrade but It isn't urgent by any stretch of the imagination - it will be the new ATI series 5000 cards.

10+ Posting Member

Hi Sean,
    I am sketching out plans for a full 767 Sim.
    ...side note, I had first wanted a 747, but the PMDG offsets not being available changed my mind...
    I was interested to know how you are using old PCs (how old?) to run your sim? Are you using project magenta? Because the price tag on that would over shadow the usage of old PCs. I am trying to figure out how to connect 3 HD TVs for outside view, and 3 monitors for instruments... I am thinking about using AMD 965 3.4 GHz (equivalent to a 2.8 GHz Intel Chip but much cheaper)...

I am also thinking about 3 graphic cards, and connecting 2 screens to each card... but something tells me thats a bad idea... so maybe I can use another PC... an old PC?

Thanks,
    Mehdi

500+ This must be a daytime job Nick1150's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    You could spend a fraction of that and build it yourself or get buddies to help you if you can't and use the balance of the 7000 euro for OH, Pedestal ETC - like i said DIY DIY lol
    that sounds fair.... but how can one do that ? do we have specific dimensions ?

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Nick - to answer you first:

If you go to the file library and look around there I know there are files you can download. Also, do a search for DWG here in the forums and you will get some cad files. Also you can try http://www.737ng.co.uk/ for some ideas.

What i did was i cut the FO side after the landing gear out so i am doing a pedestal, OH, MIP etc but just excluding FO side.

mabderezai: Ok here is an idea of what i am doing:

PC 1: Quad core INTEL @ 3.15GHz; 2.2TB hard drive space; GTX250 graphics and 5GB Ram - This is my main machine that i use for everything incl. FSX - used for front view primarily - have 2 x 23" LCD attached but may go to 1 x 23" and 1 x projector
    PC2: old Athlon 2600+, 512MB ram, 80GB hard drive; Nvidia 5200 graphics card: used for PFD/ND and possibly Sim Avionics (good replacement for PM Systems - personal view) - 19" Wide view 16:10
    PC3: Athlon XP 1600+, 256mb ram, Nvidia (something) graphics card; 40GB hard drive: used for EICAS/Standby Instruments and Flaps Gauge. - Using 19" standard 4:3

I have a 4th machine which i may use for i.e. weather generation etc etc etc.. can't remember its specs but it is an old Compaq server with SCSI drives etc.

The DWG files i found i edited with a CAD package to my dimensions in terms of switch holes etc as you will probably find switches you find are NOT the same as those in the CAD drawing. The idea is not to use someone's plans 100% UNLESS it suites YOUR purpose. It did NOT suite my purpose 100% and switches i have already from a prior set-up had smaller hole requirements.

If you don't come right PM your email address to me and I will send the original DWG files to you.

To link the PCs you will need Peter Dowson's FSUIPC and WideFS.

Trust me, I also could not afford PM Systems (or rather WON'T pay that price LOL - not that I don't believe it isn't worth it but I have other responsibilities) BUT if you do a little searching there are a couple of alternatives about i.e. Ellie Systems, Sim Avionics etc. Some are instruments only like FSXpand. Just see what you want to do, how far you want to go with logics for example and you will know what you need to use - or just ask

You could also modify guages you already have etc to work. See the site i gave you He used PMDG guages.

Hope this helps a LITTLE. I am also new to this and there are guys on here nthat have ALL The answers

Also. last but definitely NOT least checkout http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/ - was a great source of inspiration, NOT forgetting ALL the assistance i got here, and also helped me arrange my thoughts so that I had a GOOD idea of what i wanted!!

10+ Posting Member

Hi Shearder,
    I looked into Ellie Systems and Cockpitware, The only two that can fit in my budget
    Would it be possible to run either one over a network through different PCs? That I can reduce the workload on the main computer...

Thanks for your help
    Mehdi

150+ Forum Groupie

As far as i am aware with WideFS from Peter Dowson you would be able to but if i can make a suggestion get a demo of them though this is basically what they were developed for - home cockpits which basically requires networked machines/PCs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12