Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Intro and a few questions

Hey all,

My names Nick. I'm a 21 year old Commercial Pilot from australia. I've been intersted in building my very own sim for a long time but haven't been in a position to do so. Now that i'm spending the next 6 months out on an aborigional community as a community pilot, I have plenty of time to plan and research my project.

I'm aiming to build a generic twin engine pit. Based loosely on a biz jet, with glass panels. Looking at using the FSXpand gauges. The sim is going to start out as a 'half sim' eg only building the captian side, but the centre pedalstal will be constructed so that at a later time down the road i can add a FO side. The sim will be built to be easily broken down and moves. going to mean alot of quick release plug on the wiring and the wiring is going to have to be very thought through. also the enclosure is going to be material and tube framing. stong but again, easily moved.

I have a quick few questions. once I have my screens mounted on the MIP how do I specify what gauge I want to display on what screen, and will it load back into that same position the next time i boot the sim, or will I need to drag them into position every time.

If it helps, i'm looking at using 3 networked PC's. 1 powerful system running the sim and addons and then 1 for the display of the instrumentation and another to handle all the hardware/input devices.

Also, would I be possible to run the main sim PC with XP and the other 2 on a linix/ubuntu system? will there be problems with the network computers all talking? will fsxpand and the IO cards work with a linux build?

Thanks in advance guys, I know there's a few questions in there.

Nick

75+ Posting Member

Re: Intro and a few questions

Welcome. While my cockpit will be using steam style gauges, I've seen and got a pretty decent idea on the gauges.

It is possible to use the Flight1 Panel Studio (http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001) to arrange how you want. Wiring for glass cockpits, unless getting into the FMCs or other complicated things shouldn't be THAT tough. If looking for a generic, you could probably use a pre-made module if desired like the GoFlight which is already set for FSX, and some out there (I think the GoFlight is one) allow you to change the number of throttles and your setups to very from 2-4 engines based on levers. Using a monitor behind a panel after creating a template may mean that if you use this, it could be a simple matter of 1-2 computer monitors, FS Panel Studio, and a couple USB ready throttle/rudder assemblies.

I believe, if you create a panel and set it for the Panel CFG, it will load, but only for that aircraft. (Again, my project is not at that stage yet) Additionally, if you are not planning on doing overhead panels and that, you MAY be able to get by with one single QUALITY computer. Those that have already reached that stage of the game and via these means may be able to provide additional help. Additionally, when going to do the captain's side, it'd be a simple matter of splitting the output cable to the monitor with a Y splitter, and you would not need to create a NEW setup for first officer's side.

Hope this helps.
    Jon

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi Nick,

Welcome to MyCockpit.org. I think many of your questions have been answered. However choosing between FSPanel Studio and FSXpand will be a tough choice both are good programs. I'm personally going with FSXpand although i have used FSPS though.

The build is up to you for the most part. It's down to personal flare, how you want to build (Ie. exact copy or adding whatever parts take your liking) etc etc. Then there's always the factor of cost.

If you have any unanswered questions from the replies you get please do ask we are all here to help as well as build and most people will be able to give you a quick answer or at least point you in the right direction.

Once again welcome, and please take time to look around the site etc etc.

Best Regards
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Welcome Nick

Hey guys, thanks for the replys.

@Chaser: i'm looking at building the whole thing from scratch. maybe only buying a few pre made avionics. Aiming to use around 3 pcs within the setup

@Geremy: Yeah I purchased FSUIPC and WIDEFS lastnight and had a good play with the FSXpand gauges, having a tad of a hard time understanding how to make panel layouts....but that been said from what I've seen I love it and will probably get the full version to use in my pit.

I'll make sure I keep you all up to date with my designs etc