300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Transparent Boeing-style knobs for sale.

Hi Everyone.

I was not at all satisfied with the knobs that I received from Poldragonet, there were not symmetrical and they tend to 'sweat' when it gets too warm, Sweat I hear you say? Yes, when resin has not cured properly or has been mixed incorrectly, it tends to sweat under certain circumstances.

So I cleaned up one of the knobs to use as an initial master and then cast several so as to be able to make my own master molds for transparent Boeing style knobs. I really want transparent knobs because if I am going to go to all that trouble to back light my panels then I want the knobs to look correct too.

The knobs have been cast in epoxy two part transparent resin and are as clear as glass! I had to buy a minimum of 1kg of epoxy resin and rubber (I was out of rubber at home and I had never used epoxy), so I have plenty more epoxy to use up.

As long as I have transparent epoxy resin at home, I will cast these knobs for other Boeing builders.

The knobs will be for sale in packs of 6 or 12. Not sure of pricing yet but I will do them for cost price. I'm thinking around 15 euro for 6 knobs, 25 euro for 12 knobs. The buyer will have to drill his own holes in the knob as they are solid.

The first three knobs next to the mold:

Some more shots, including backlighting with a green led for illustrations purpose

I'm still working on the smaller knob. These will be available too if there is any demand.

Please let me know if there is any interest for these knobs. I could take some to the FS weekend with me.

2. Thanks autocadplease thanked for this post

Re: Transparent Boeing-style knobs for sale.

Wow - good work!!!

I will send you a PM to discuss further

Thanks

Jon

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Re: Transparent Boeing-style knobs for sale.

Here are a few more pics.

I decided to paint two of the knobs to see if i can take them along with me and show any interested people at the FS weekend.

First I masked off the strip that will let the light through later. The red lines that you see shining through the switch were drawn to determine the middle of the switch to make drilling easier!

After two coats of primer I have sprayed the first two (mega-thin) coats of grey. Tomorrow I will spray a final coat of grey and, once that has dried and hardened I will mask off the knob and prepare to paint the thin black line around the white indicator line.