Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Help building Cessna 182 MIP

Hello, I'm trying to design out my MIP to simulate that of a Cessna 182. I have the size and shape down but I'm not sure where to get details of the electronics I'll need, i.e., the number of toggle switches, push-buttons, and rotary switches (along with what they control). I've looked at a lot of pictures but can't seem to find that close of detail.

If anybody has a good source for these details they can point me to I'd be very appreciative.

Steve

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Re: Help building Cessna 182 MIP

Hi,

Welcome to my GA section of the MyCockpit Forum, I indeed have a ton of experience with the Cessna 182 and there are plenty of people here in the same boat building Cessna's such as the 206 (Ron) 172 (William) the 182 (Me)

I am building the Cessna 182 with no particular varient.

Look at my website of the build so far, I have progressed alot more so, just havent updated the website yet...

Good luck and any questions fire away...

Alex Jay
    MyCockpit Home Page Editor
    GA or the Highway!

Alex - Thanks for the quick reply. I've already been to your web page and have gotten some good information. What I'm working on getting now is a listing of what switches, dials, push-buttons, etc... are in the cockpit so I can draw up my design as well as determine what I'll need for hardware. I don't suppose you have you have more details for what you build will contain? For example, the 6 toggle switches on the lower left of your MIP, what all are controlled there? I know one is for the panel lights.

Perhaps I can get this information from the flight sim software itself? I am still building the PC I will use to run the software so I can't do that yet.

Steve

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi Steve.

Asking what buttons and toggles etc you need is a really bland question and very hard to answer.

Each variant of the 182 is very different, each model has different layouts and controls. So asking what you need is a dead end question.

May I suggest, actually flying the Cessna 182 on flightsim first, do the tutorials and learn to fly the aircraft properly. Once you have learnt to fly the aircraft you will know exactly what to build and what you need etc. Do you intend to build a Cessna for VFR or IFR? If you are flying VFR then your radio stack will be very limited for equipment. If you are flying IFR then you will have a full radio stack and additional gauges, and if you know how to fly IFR properly then you will know exactly what you need to fly IFR and the best equipment to use. If you fly VFR then you will know how little you use to fly and will know exactly what to build and what you can leave out.

In general working from bottom left upwards, you have.

Basics are.....

MAGNETOS (ENCODER / KEY SWITCH)

ALT MASTER (ROCKER SWITCH)
    BAT MASTER (ROCKER SWITCH)
    PITOT HEAT (TOGGLE)
    LIGHTS (TOGGLE)
    AVIONICS MASTER (ROCKER SWITCH)

ALT STATIC AIR (TOGGLE)
    CARB HEAT (PUSH PULL)
    TRIM (ENCODER OR ROTARY POT)

THROTTLE (100K SLIDE POT)
    FUEL MIX (100K SLIDE POT)
    PROP (100K SLIDE POT)

FLAPS (ENCODER / SLIDE POT WITH OPTIONAL SERVO FOR POSITION)

GEAR SWITCH (VARIOUS WAYS)

FUEL SELECTOR (OPTIONAL)

GAUGES (SERVOS / STEPPER MOTORS OR LCD)

Then you will need to build

> DIGI CLOCK
    > RADIO STACK
    > YOKES
    > RUDDER PEDALS
    > COMPASS
    > ENCLOSURE
    > GLARESHIELD

This should do you for now......get your pc built, get a copy of fs9 / fsx and a yoke and rudder pedals if you can and learn to fly the first. When you know how to fly you will know exactly what you need etc....it makes building so much easier....

Generally people fly on fs9 first using their yokes then decide to build a full sim afterwards....

Good luck, any more help let me know.....

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

Alex - Thanks, that's a perfect starting point. You also have a great suggestion in that I start flying the simulator and will get the rest of the answers I have. I'm planning on using the software to try and get some knowledge to give me a head start for when I will hopefully afford to work on my private pilots license for real. I'll most likely be doing VFR for a while as my time is limited.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Steve

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Hi there and welcome onboard.

The Cessna 182 eh.. Very cool. I love the 185 but couldn't find any really good models of it myself in FSX so I'm doing the bigger brother to that one the Cessna 206. Seems the GA section here is Cessna oriented hehe.. Anyway one of the best place to starts although Alex gave you a great listing. Is the parts manual and POH (Pilots Operating Handbook). One tells you what parts go into a Cessna 182 the other tells you how they are used. Be great if they were in the same book but what can you do...

If you check this link you can find nearly everything you need.
    http://www.micro-tools.net/pdf/Cessna/index.html

There is a POH,Checklist,Parts Manual for the 182's in there. I downloaded a few myself as I like that series too.

Now the manuals you find there are well done copies of the manuals but not of the indexed PDF format you may expect so you may want to take a pen and paper and mark down the pages that the parts you are building are on. Just like reading the actual book. You can of course print out the pages too. Which will let you take your parts manual with you when you go Sim Shopping at the sim headquarters (Home Depot/Lowes) big box home improvement stores. You may be able to find parts at your local corner hardware store but you will be able to get more done and find in greater quantity at the big box stores.

Also a worth while request if you haven't done it yet is getting a catalog from Aircraft Spruce. The largest aircraft after market parts retailer in the world. You may even order some stuff from them as I know I will be doing soon. There large (over 700 pages) catalog is free. You can of course shop and view online but the catalog is again portable and has more details then the website can hold. It's a fascinating read at the very least.

Aircraft Spruce Main Page
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

Catalog Order Page
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catorder.php

Now all that said and as your getting started remember the cockpit is like you own office to fly in. So pilots will add what they need and arrange things as to what they need. It's like you're own stereo or entertainment center it's what you like to use to get the job done. So don't be afraid to do that in this case. Stepping outside the 'box' as it were. You will have the manuals and data but find what works best for you when your in the sim and go with that too. Check into the use of that on actual aircraft...

Weather it's compatible with your model
    Where it's located
    If there are any manufacture manuals on that item (Garmins website for example has lots)
    If it's modeled in FSX or available for you to use.

Once you have that all set out then head off to the store and start getting your hands dirty...

Best of luck on your build and keep us updated...

Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Ron - Lots of great information, thank you so much! I'm doing the 182 as I'm hoping to fly one someday, that's the aircraft the CAP squadron I just joined has. I know it will be a long time down the road but I figured I might as well get familiar in the aircraft I hope to fly in soon. Thanks again, let the research and planning continue!!

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

We are all in various stages of construction. I'm still planning mine as I'm about to move. My plan was to start building then move all I've constructed but I figured I may end up damaging all my hard work so I've put the building on hold for a time (till I complete my move) then I'm on it like rain on tarmac. Lots of great ideas on how to build right here. Sometimes real beats home made and then the opposite is true too.

To me I want a cockpit that looks like the real thing even if it's nearly all 'home brewed'. I come from a modeling back ground as well as a few other disciplines so my creative side will usually win out when it comes to building a simpit. Nearly everything you need can be found at your local big box store though.

There are some very talented people here. So if you need to figure out something or are trying to get some round peg in a square hole just let us know. If someone hasn't done that before we will most likely be able to figure it out in anycase...

Cheers.

Oh hey I'm right across lake Erie from you in Ontario BTW.. hehe
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Hello and welcome. It is always good to see another GA builder.

I often use google images to find cockpit photos for reference. Try searching for "cessna 182 cockpit" and set the size to 2MP or larger.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...rt=0&imgsz=2mp
    Kerbo on YouTube or Twitch
    github.com/wriley

10. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post

I didn't know you could limit a Google image search by file size, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast