Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Windows 7 is cack!

Computers are complex machines. There are millions of them and perhaps thousands with different hardware configurations. Not every configuration is going to be the be all and end all of that and the OS has to deal with all these differences and work beautifully everytime. As the software adapts to each system set up.

So in that instance it's like rolling 1000 dice expecting to have 80-90% all turn up with the same number.

For some of the people out there that will be the case and from what I've read it could very well be true that Win7 is an update not upgrade from Vista. As it now is working on all the cylinders of the PC surely some things can't be perfect but better. Even still. It's now having to contend with the older software working in the new OS and newest hardware working in the new OS.

Just like every other time you have updated/upgraded there will be some settling that has to be done to get everything working as it was when you had WinXP/Vista so why would this be any different.

I would go back to the beginning and work through it step by step. Contact the writers of the software you wish to use and see what has to be done to get it working. You aren't the only one with that software so there has to be some that have been in your spot before. Frustration is the first response to be sure but I"m thinking the next step is trying to figure out what you need to do to get it working.

Do the diagnostics on your situation and work through it. Make a note of the parts of the sim install that are working and then make a note of the error's that occur when the other parts fail. Contact the vender's of that software with that info and see what they have to say.

We have all been through this before either the new sim isn't fully working with the new OS or the new OS isn't fully working with the old sim. If everything was perfect on WinXP or VIsta what ever system you had prior why not just go right back to that. Take Win7 back or keep it on the shelf till solutions can be found for the compatibility issues. It may seem surprising but I don't think MS had all the possible Flight Sim software you could add to your Simulator in mind when they wrote the new OS. It's up to the vender's of the software to keep up with the new OS if they are supporting there work. I'm sure that as Win7 becomes more mainstream that will be the case if it's not already.

Make a note of the difficulties for the vender's of your software to adapt to the new OS with.
    Chill and step back for a moment (to a previous OS)
    Be a bit more patient when it comes to adding a new OS to your computer.

It will take I'm sure a very brief moment of time to get everything up to speed on the new OS. Patience is key though. Work through and if that still doesn't work things out then abandon ship if need be.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Quote Originally Posted by Ronson2k9 View Post
    Computers are complex machines. There are millions of them and perhaps thousands with different hardware configurations. Not every configuration is going to be the be all and end all of that and the OS has to deal with all these differences and work beautifully everytime. As the software adapts to each system set up.

So in that instance it's like rolling 1000 dice expecting to have 80-90% all turn up with the same number................
    Excellent point and thank you for that wonderful input.

My experience with Win7 has been wonderful, from Beta to RC and still waiting for my "Real" Win7 package.

But, I've had many software installation experiences where others say it's fantastic and where I never got mine to work. Most everybody's computer is different, in one way or another. I'm not sitting in front of Richards computer, so I can't be judgmental of his situation. It's frustrating, I know that, I've experienced it, been there, done that....

Ronson2k9 has some sound advice, as others have too, to me that's constructive. I wish I can be there to help Richard, unfortunately I can't, and I understand your frustration, I hope it works out for you.

Matt Olieman

3. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

Hi all,

my general experience with Windows is that if you're not using exotic hardware, it is running smoothly, sometimes after some updates. Nobody is perfect.
    My main advise is to perform a clean install because the Windows "update" setup program installs the drivers for the hardware found and... reported by the previous installed Windows version. IF at that time you are using drivers wich are not really suitable then you get yourself in deep **** because the new setup will install the drivers for the reported (maybe wrong) hardware.
    That's the classic mistake.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234