Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Still unsure of which I/O cards to use.

Hey guys, I know alot of the builders today use the open cockpits cards for their interface. I haven't ever used cards before and not sure how easy/hard the open cockpits master/usb cards are to connect up. Initially I only I'll only have around 20 toggle/momentary switches (if that) connected. The rest will be usb connected. I have touched on this subject not long ago I know but i'm trying to make a decisive decision before I buy. I'm after something I can simply solder some wires one end and solder or crimp the other, then connect to a board and use fsuipc etc to configure. My 767-300 build is close to completion and I'll be looking at interfacing soon with LEVEL D 767. The desktop aviators 20 toggle/pushbutton switch card looks so easy to use but unsure if that can operate level d 767 through fsuipc or would I need Nico's software? Do I need to know any type of programming etc to use open cockpit cards?

Thanks again for any help.
    Drewsta

Re: Still unsure of which I/O cards to use.

If all you want to do is connect some switches, pots, etc. and run them through FSUIPC, Leo Bodnar's BU0836X card is an easy way to go. http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

This card is less then five inches by two inches and can handle 32 switches, buttons, etc and 8 pots. It will also work with some encoders. The wires slip into a push clasp. (I do find this push clasp system to sometimes be harder than it should be. For best results use an 18 guage solid wire or tin the multi strand wire, where it inserts into the clasp, to make it stiffer)

The card is about $50 USD and works like a charm with FSUIPC

Opencockpits cards are very versatile but a bitch to program. They are more suited for complex cockpits that require a lot of IF-ELSE logic.

If you later decide to upgrade to a more complex system the BU0836X can still be used in your cockpit for basic functions. I believe Leo's analog pot function is better than the OC cards. I use a BU0836X with its 12 bit resolution for my pit.

Hope this helps.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Drewsta,

I agree with John's comments (I love and have the BU0386X cards) but if you are planning on using LevelD 767 then you better off getting the OC cards with SIOC so you can use Nico's awesome lekseecon program. I believe it is the only way to get LevelD to work.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

Thanks for the replies guys. Now Im in a real bind..haha! The Buo386x sounds great but if it won't work with the level d 767 I can't really use it right? So is it true the only way to make the level d work with switches etc is with open cockpits cards and Nico Kaan's software?

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by autocadplease View Post
    ... but if you are planning on using LevelD 767 then you better off getting the OC cards with SIOC so you can use Nico's awesome lekseecon program. I believe it is the only way to get LevelD to work.
    That's right, if you want to make use of my free lekseecon software you have to use IOcards and SIOC.

Since everything is pre-defined, programming is a piece of cake; just a couple of one-liners to connect your 20 toggle/push buttons to the pre -defined SIOC variables. No IF THEN ELSE statements needed. All the logic is in the Level-D, there is no need to program that yourself in SIOC.

Hope this makes things more clear.

Just buy a USB-expansion card and one Master Card and you are ready to go.

Advice: always choose the software first, and then the necessary hardware. It is the software that makes the difference, hardware is a commodity.

Regards,
    Nico Kaan

Thanks Kiek for the reply. Is open cockpits the only way to get the level d to work?

Hi,

lekseecon only works with Opencockpits. However, there is an alternative: one could use my (old) program FSCONV. FSCONV provides extra Level-D 767 specific offsets in FSUIPC. Every interface system that can work with FSUIPC offsets can make use of it. However, FSCONV is not so powerful as lekseecon and configuring your application (activating offsets) has to be done manually. Lekseecon configures automaticaly and transparent to the user.

FSCONV is used by the commercial applications "It's your plane" and "Flight Deck Companion".

Development of FSCONV has concluded.

So imho the choice is easy.

Nico

500+ This must be a daytime job

just to offer an alternative: the flightdecktechnology cards (www.simboards.com) also offer all level-d functionality in easy pre-programmed pull down menu's.

Its simply a matter of connecting a led or switch and sellecting th function for that corresponding in- or output from a pull down menu.

cards are quite more expensive but someone was offering them here secondhand just a few weeks ago.

Open Cockpits with Nico's Leeksecon is the cheapest way to go and also a very good solution.

Stef
    www.boeing737ng.com

hi guys
    i have the same probleme we are making an airbus and we were thinking of op cockpits but we are not very good with pc and all that programing stuff sim bords looks much pratical and easy on set up no welding needed and looks preaty cleane as i read it works with PM too has any one got there bords that can tell us how it works?i see that nearly every one realy gose with op cockpits in the end is there something we should know

Hi Stef,

Thx for the additional info, I tend to forget the commercial hardware suppliers because they are much more expensive

The modules you are referring too are ofcourse high quality, but as a cockpit builder I would like to have more flexibility in programming my simulator harwdare, not just pull-down menus. SIOC gives you that flexibility.

Nico

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast