Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: b737

Yeah well it was $699 12 hours ago....

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.

Has anybody got a real throttle quadrant and how easy/hard is it to interface into fs?

haha

I think anyone (including myself) who doesnt have one is looking for one so opportunities like the one on ebay right now are going to have a ton of bidders driving up the price. I should have bought this one when he had the buy now price of $1800 on it. I bet this one goes well over 2K.

Anyway, should be fairly simple to interface with a bodnar board and some pots but would be much much more difficult to get everthing working like the real thing or like some of the vendors are doing right now.

I am personally keeping my eye on the the new revolution one as a high end and awaiting the G-Throttle from Roberto as a lower cost option. I will probably go with Robertos until I can get my hand on a real one someday though. Havent decided yet (as usual)....\

Scott

5. Thanks Steve A thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Quote Originally Posted by XOrionFE View Post
    Anyway, should be fairly simple to interface with a bodnar board and some pots but would be much much more difficult to get everthing working like the real thing or like some of the vendors are doing right now.

I have a real one and its not as easy to interface as it seems if you want to do it well.

For example most people use slider pots for the levers, but the travel of the thrustlever + reverser path is WAY longer than the average 100 or 150 mm slider pot.

A good way around this is using string pots, but in their turn, these are very expensive. (think 130 dollars each). Alternatively you could try making string pots yourself.

Fuel cutoff levers and pushbuttons can be done fairly easy since the switches are allready there.

The BIG problem however, is motorizing the throttles. I'm having a big problem to find the correct chain for driving the trim wheels (read: cant find the chain).

Also because its the real heavy stuff you will need pretty good motors. And then you have to think of a way to connect the motors to the levers.

The real throttle uses a steel cable for that (with lots of space to work with under the floor). The average sim floor doesnt have that space, so you will have to find another way, which doesnt proove itself easy.

If you dont want to motorize it, its easy. If you DO want to motorize it, prepare for a big project.

On the other hand, it IS a real throttle that can have some real abuse. No need to worry about levers braking off

Stef

www.boeing737ng.com

7. Thanks XOrionFE thanked for this post

Thank you very much for that insight. You answered a lot of questions I had rolling around in my head when considering going after the real one. I guess my compromise would have to be real throttles but no motor as I would likely not want to undertake that project (at least in the short term). The main thing I was considering when looking at real was exactly what you pointed out and that is durability. The vendor build ones are really cool as far as functionality and looks but I really worry about durability and breaking something then having to ship the whole thing back overseas somewhere from the US and having it repaired. I guess that is the risk with anything though....

Thanks again Stef.

500+ This must be a daytime job

well you dont have to worry about breaking anything on a real one, because these things are meant to last....a longggg time.

If you dont want to motorize (for now), you can easily interface using string pots.

Mine is being motorized right now by a friend, once i have it back i can make some pictures and document how its was done by him.

He has posted pictures here of his own home made throttle (which is truly excellent), and also posted a document about his method of interfacing. Just search for pdg737 in the gallery.

Stef
    www.boeing737ng.com