Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    500+ This must be a daytime job

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Using a real magneto start switch with FSX

I was able to successfully make it work without PCB's, IC's or any other acronyms except KISS*. It involved a screwdriver, a 6-32 x 3/4 SS machine Screw, a drill and bit, a washer, some super glue and a 1" piece of electrical tape. Took about 10 minutes to do. I wrote up a basic tutorial on my blog, please check it out there if you are trying to do the same thing:
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com/...r-engines.html

Reid

*KISS= Keep It Simple, Stupid!
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

My philosophy exactly.. Nice work..
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

3. Thanks AK Mongo thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

I know this thread is kind of old now, but I found the same thing. I didn't have the key so I had to pull it apart to yank out the tumblers and thought I put it together wrong. After probing with a multimeter I figured out the matrix, I use 3 inputs on my OC master card without messing with the switch.
    I connected the terminals labled "R", "L" and "GND" to the card and supplied one of the center terminals labled "GND" with +5VDC. Then some SIOC script to recognise the positions:
    OFF = R & L on
    R = only L on
    L = GND & R on
    BOTH = all off
    START = only GND on

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    I know this thread is kind of old now, but I found the same thing. I didn't have the key so I had to pull it apart to yank out the tumblers and thought I put it together wrong. After probing with a multimeter I figured out the matrix, I use 3 inputs on my OC master card without messing with the switch.
    I connected the terminals labled "R", "L" and "GND" to the card and supplied one of the center terminals labled "GND" with +5VDC. Then some SIOC script to recognise the positions:
    OFF = R & L on
    R = only L on
    L = GND & R on
    BOTH = all off
    START = only GND on
    Marsh,

I'm glad you posted on this thread. I had attempted a couple experiments including a pc board and had a lot of trouble. I went with Reids solution and it worked great. Now that I've got the switch installed in the panel and wired though I'm experiencing problems. The contact positions all work IF I put some forward and upward pressure on the ignition key. Without that pressure I only get reliable contact on a couple of them.

No flaw at all in Reads design, it's a very simple and easy build. I think the problem might be in the thickness of the washer I used as a center contact. So, I'll be pulling the switch out and attempting to replace it or thin it down. The other possible solution would be to stretch the spring a bit to see if that gets me a little more contact pressure.

I think that will do the trick and I should be all set. But, should that fail I'll be looking for a plan B. As such I was trying to follow your switch logic pattern. I'm missing a detail and it's not making sense to my pre-morning-coffee brain...

Did you wire to 3 or 4 terminals? Is there an outer terminal labeled Gnd and another in the center?
    https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim PC: Intel Core i7 Haswell @ 3.8GHz, 8Gb Ram, Win 7 64Bit, dual SSDs, GeFroce 780 SIM: P3Dv4.1, FSUIPC5, Link2FSMulti, ASN16, Orbix, REX, BFF Force Feedback

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123