1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What to do with it?

Hi All,

When I purchased my monitor to display the instruments for my cockpit I indeed make the wrong choice and bought a square panel monitor when I should of bought a widescreen monitor.

I bought the wrong monitor as with the monitor I have; I am unable to pass the yoke through my MIP, and needs a widescreen monitor which is shorter and will do the job!

So, I am now left with an 19" LCD Monitor (out of its case) doing nothing, there is nothing I can do with it because its out of its case, case is long gone!

The only place for my monitor is the bin it looks like, am thinking of throwing it, but what a waste!
    GA or the Highway!

Re: What to do with it?

Ebay UK!!!

Wouldn't want to send it, I hate sending large heavy items!
    GA or the Highway!

Super Moderator

Don't throw it away as they make great wall picture monitors. I use several of these above some of my equipment and if I ever have a cockpit use for them I can just take it down.

5. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post

Joe.....Love your idea for the monitors, didn't think of that! Very clever!

Anyway, an MC member has come forward, and is now the proud owner of my LCD so it will be put to excellent use I am sure!

Cheers,

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

When I've gone shopping for a monitor that is to go into a particular space it's a bit like buying a new window. Bringing a measuring tape is important to make sure you have the right size. If buying online make a trip to a local electronics store to do the measurements. As monitors come in all sizes even within their apparent size. I'm going to keep you example in mind though when I go to get my MIP gauges monitor.

On a similar note. I know that the monitor size can't exceed the case size the monitor is housed in. But is there a rule of thumb if the monitor was to be removed from it's case as to how much is perhaps hidden behind the plastic. I've not taken one apart yet and I'm just curious if someone has?
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

I have removed the case from a few monitors and the size difference varies but if you allow about 5-6mm from the edge of the cutout you will be close. Some of the edges can be 10-25mm of "air" so chose carefully. If you pull the cover off the monitor you void the warranty and run the risk of breaking the screen.

Hi,

I actually did get the right size for my MIP and it fit like a dream, BUT I changed my mind in terms of what I wanted in my MIP and if I was to include my yoke in the MIP then I would need a shorter monitor, at first I wasnt going to pass the yoke through my MIP, but now I know that I really do need a yoke actually in the MIP, so hence getting a smaller screen!
    GA or the Highway!

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Cool. I'll keep that in mind. I was going to go with a liquidation monitor (we have a store that sells pretty good monitors on the cheep) for the MIP. I'm hoping to do as AlexJay is doing in his MIP but trying squeeze out as much space as possible.

BTW Alex I've been thinking about how to get around the difficulty with the need to have gauges around the monitor and also the yoke port. I was thinking we could use smaller LCD 'Picture Albums' as monitors? They can be found pretty cheaply (at the aforementioned liquidation center) and Christmas is coming so they could have them on sale too. The smaller they are the cheaper they are as well and could solve that problem. Outside of the sending the correct image info to the right monitor perhaps in WideFS?

Don't know if it would be easier/cheaper to have the actual gauges (simkits) for those area's

Extra computer case
    Mobo
    Video Cards

But this computer could house all your MIP video needs and be connected to the FS computer via WideFS. It need not be a powerfull machine either an older P4 should do if you have one available.

VC's can be had for as little as $80.00 + the display $40.00 so for about $90 you have maybe 2 or 3 gauges. Pondering right now hehe.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian