Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Garmin 530 project

Hello all,

I am happy with my progress on my GNS530.
    It's working and now i have designed a factory made PCB, so i can build these for other sim builders.

The intrface is Leo Bodnar's BU0836X card, wich will leave you to use more rotary inputs (for NAV/COM) and the analog joystic axes.

Fully plug and play unit will be about 550-600 USD, the GPS software needs to be purchased separately from RealityXP

Prototype pictures, the front panel will be cut a littele different, and the inner knobs, will have texts as the real one.

Also i have add a button lite possibility on the pcb.

Last edited by Matt Olieman; 03-05-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: thumbnail

2. Thanks CrashEd, Airhogg, Ronson2k9, No Longer Active thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: Garmin 530 project

Any chance of a GNS-430W? I was over to RealtyXP and they have got quite the gauges going on there. Your 530W looks really cool. I've been looking at the manual of the real 530W quite an impressive piece of hardware. Do the dimensions of your 530W match that of the real 530W (from a placing it in the stack standpoint)?

The more I tooled around the RealtyXP site the more I felt the need for a custom panel for my C206. My 206 may not have a glass cockpit but it can have some pretty sophisticated instruments. Before you say it I know that the 206 does come with Garmin 1000 setup if you order it. It's capable of the NAV III setup. I didn't want to go all out with a glass arrangement. If however I use Digital gauges from the reality site it will seem quite real coming from the LCD I plan on using in the simpit. Should make for a good matrix of both analog and digital gauges.

As I've been looking at actual CU206G & H's as my model of choice trying to figure out which gauges I would like to have in my cockpit. Trying also to make sure I don't have to much redundancy. I know it's a good thing in real world aviation in a simpit though perhaps not as important.

Perhaps you can answer a general GPS question for me. It may even be out of redundancy? If you take a look at this C206 cockpit.
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessn...9f5b0fb8831840

There are 2 GNS-430W's in there along with a GNA-370. So the pilot wouldn't be using GPS units for comms as there is GNA in there. In the 530W manual it is capable of comms. So a duel 530W setup makes sense. In earlier cockpit images there is s duel 430W setup with the pilot having them at different ranges. So that could be a good reason.

As RealityXP offers the GNS WAAS Unlimited Pack and having a stack similar to the one in the above pic. With the 430W on top and the 530W below. If I can find/build the 430W hardware? I know Elite has them? Don't know if theirs works with RealtyXP or there own software? The cross linked nature of the two units via software could make for a interesting configuration situation if I stacked them?

I'm looking forward to your updates and if it's not to early to ask when do you think they will be available?
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Hello there,

I do have a plan to make the 430 available also, but so far the research is on finding the right display unit.

Our flight club's C172 has a 430 installed, and i would like to have that unit for my sim for learning reasons, but the 530 is somewhat equal.

Today i odered a 2mm aluminum subfront panel and a 1mm steel box from a local laser cut company for the 530.

I also routed a pcb proto to have the electrical components on it to testfit the assembly. Also routed and painted the texts on the knob faces.
    Hope to get the proto ready in a week or two.

On your question, from what i understand on the photo, there is a GNA-340 audiopanel, wich defines what unit is used for transmitting and wich is user for listening. So i assume these 430's are used for COMM also.

Also for navigation, the other unit might be used for approach and final while the other provides area navigation, and also route backup

Thanks for the reply. Yep your right it's a 340. So many different numbers I was looking at yesterday hehe. One could easily change from comm to nav and back again on either display and like your saying use the two of them for both. I found also to the left of the GNA-340 is a WX-1000 Stormtracker took me some time to find out what that one was as it's markings are pretty common to lots of different instruments.

NOTE: Others trying to find out what avionics or other instruments are included in the aircraft? Try looking for 'your chosen' aircraft for sale online. They will often include a picture of the MIP and a listing of the avionics added to the known instruments. You can them look up each piece or it will stand out to you right away. As it did for me with the WX-1000.

Another great place for instrument info is Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/
    GA aircraft mostly but a wealth of info. I have there hard copy catalog which they will mail free BTW.

Getting back to MIP layout in the Cessna T206H - linked above there is also a Sandel HSI shown right above the yoke column.

I'm beginning to see the need for redundancy. Up there when you are on your own it would be a great comfort having backups should something fail during a turbulent flight. As the cockpit in the link above shows he has backup radio and navigational equipment. While adding the newer stuff makes for easier flying the back ups would be comforting to have should the newer systems go down. Like a life preserver on the water they may never be used but you never know..? Also from a bush pilots standpoint there isn't going to be the ready access to an avionics repair facility. So backups may all you have to work with till repairs/replacements can be made. On that note I don't know if RealityXP has built gauge failure into there software? Would be interesting to find out?

Update:

Got the laser cut parts yesterday, today was bending and test fitting.

Enclosure:

Getting the shape:

Lcd in place:

LCD's PCB in place

USB connection

very cool.. looking good.

Got the pcb proto made with my cnc router:

very cool. Having a CNC must take all the work out of it.. hehe.. There are times I wish I had one.

Well, to be honest i would be much further in my sim process without the CNC project wich took my time for almost a year...

And with the money spent, i could buy a LOT of plug and play stuff for my sim

Picture of my DIY router:

That is awesome man! Make sure to keep the thread updated w/ the newest pictures, especially when you get it working!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast