Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Networking help ?

I have 3 Dell XPS computers to run the Convair 580 sim . I'm to the point of getting them networked. I will be using 1 cpu for outside visuals and the other 2 cpus for instrument panels (3 lcds+ 1 small lcd for the annunciator panel).The instrument panels have been built with Fspanel studio.
    Anyway, I will be getting a router next week and I am reasearching what I will need in the way of software (FSUIPC, Wideview ,etc) and how to network Fs9 etc.

I was wondering if there is anything in the form of a tutorial that explains all of this.
    I know that all this info can be found in this forum,, but it seems to be all spread around.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Networking help ?

Well, if you are running FS only on one PC, you don't need WideView, this is only for multiple instances of FS to be synchronized and supply multiple monitors with a picture.

FSUIPC is for the Connection of AddOns to the FS on the same PC and also the basis for WideFS.

WideFS is neccessary to feed applications on remote PC's, as if they are running on the FS machine. It has a server which runs on the FS-Host and a client which runs on every computer where you want to run software for the FS.

According to your post you need FSUIPC and the WideFS-Server for the FS-Host-Computer and two times WideFS-Client for your panel computers.

Networking itself should be straightforward, use a TCP/IP or UDP network and connect all computers to the built in switch of the router. Do you need any further advice of that topic?

3. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post

This is easy, purchase Wide FS, and FSUIP, install FSUIPC.dll into your FS9 modules folder, install WIDE Server and the .dll into your FS9 Modules folder. Place Wide Client and the Wide Client .ini onto your clients, (I put mine on the desktop).

Boot FS9, open your FSUIPC from you top menu bar when a flight is activated, input you FSUIPC and Wide FS registaraion codes into FSUIPC, restart FSUIPC.

Assign all computers, server and clients with the same WORKGROUP name in the Windows>System>Networking/Network ID panel.

Click Wide FS on your clients and they should show "Connected" and you FS9 information bar (on top of screen) should show X number of clients connected.

After you get it working properly, you can Copy Wide Client, Wide Client.ini, WideClient.cfg, PM Sounds, and whatever other Wide FS application into your Start>programs>Startup folder, and when you have your server running, you can boot your client computers and they will start all those programs and apps. automatically.

It turned out to be fairly easy. Good Luck!

I beleive it is about the same with Wide View, but I think you have to add a Wide View Guage to your aircraft. I haven't fiddled with that one in awhile.

Did I miss anything gentleman?

5. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks guys,, that is what I was looking for. Seems I was thinking too much into it.

I'll let you know how it goes and I'm sure I will be looking for more help along the way.

Thanks again !

P.S. Any more info/insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by spitfire9; 08-26-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add comment

sorry to jump this thread but:-

does anybody use wireless setup to run ther network for there sim or are there problems with this way instead of the normal eternet router method.

10+ Posting Member

That looks highly encouraging!

I'll see you on the 3rd or 4th.

150+ Forum Groupie

HI,Lee .

I've read somewhere that you should stay away from wireless. Not sure why but I kind of remember something about slow speeds or problems with interruptions.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire9 View Post
    I've read somewhere that you should stay away from wireless. Not sure why but I kind of remember something about slow speeds or problems with interruptions.
    Speed is not the problem, it is more correct timing, because it is a collision domain, and naturally ou are loosing packages, etc. An ethernet with switches is much more predictable in this terms.

What are the pros for wireless in your setup? Normally it should be no problem to connect all PCs via cable.

10+ Posting Member

Never any plans to use wireless as the means of networking on this project, because of packet collisions and resulting slow speeds, plus security issues as well.

These days at retail big-box stores, its not easy to locate a switch that doesn't also include a wireless transceiver, but using just the switch portion via cabling, and not enabling the wireless portion of the product is the way to go.

Oh, also I have that Opencockpits multi-radio package set out, ready to take north.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ve4anc View Post
    These days at retail big-box stores, its not easy to locate a switch that doesn't also include a wireless transceiver, but using just the switch portion via cabling, and not enabling the wireless portion of the product is the way to go.
    OK, don't know the situation overseas, here in Germany it is normally no problem to buy ordinary cable switches, but to be honest I don't like the 1000mē+ retail stores for computer components.

The shop were I am buying is maybe 25mē, one counter manned by an expert. Of course I have to order and wait two day for the most components, but the consulting is great.

If I want it cheap, ordering via web is my first choice. Normally you should find switches there without a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast