Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Panel build concept for 172...help and advice needed!

That's some nice image embedding you've done there!

My problem is the amount of Goflight gear I've actually got...

1 MCP-PRO
    1 EFIS (both from my heavies days!)
    1 GFTQ-6 THROTTLE QUADRANT
    2 X GF-P8
    2 X GF-46
    2 X GF-166
    1 X GF-RP48
    1 X GF-LGT

Honestly, it's going to be a big struggle to get it all in. I was tempted to sell the MCP-PRO and EFIS, but getting the smaller autopilot to replace it with would cost me more than I'd get for the pro selling it second-hand, so it makes sense to keep it for the time-being. It is always plugged in and running when I fly the usual GAs and it doesn't really make any difference to me, so I may as well incorporate it so that when the time comes for me to upsize to twins the sim still fufils its function rather than me needing to change it...that's what I envisioned by generic.

The rest of the modules I continually use, whether they be as Nav/Com, DME, Transponder, ADF, elevator trim, flaps, lights and avionics switches or communication buttons to speak to ATC. I am lucky enough that once I've double-clicked on the FSX icon on my desktop, I do not have to touch the mouse again until I am shutting the computer down...literally not for anything, and that adds to the realism of the game for me.

I have thought about the position of the throttle, and part of the reason I want it low is that I love MEPs like the Meridian and the Seneca where it is lower and more central- really so you can get a good hold of it! That, coupled with the fact that I don't think I could fit it on to the main panel with all the GF stuff, makes me want to maybe consider other options with it. I will have to get my dimensions together I think and have a look at the best plan I think, it's the only way.

It's pretty amazing how ideas change as you go along though!

With regards to the MIP, I think you're right on the position of the MCP and the curved edge. If need be I could make a very very small curve for the look that wouldn't intrude on the space- that's probably what I will do.

Thinking cap still on though!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

You sure do have a ton of gear!

Its a real shame that space is not on your side because with all this gear spread out onto a full width MIP you will have a simply awsome generic pit, similar to those you have previously admired.

Not to say that you wont have an awsome MIP, just that it's a shame you have to cram it all into the left seat!

Also GoFlight has the most annoying width ever (8 inch+) which does no favors in a GA rack which is 6 1/4 inch wide (the same as mine), so your MIP now has to become that little bit wider to house that extra bit wide go flight rack, never mind your big 21/22 inch screen!

As for your design, there is nothing wrong with it, just build as you go, if something comes up that wasn't planned, correct it, then carry on, that's how I have done mine!

All I can say is good luck, you seem like a super smart man that can take on the world.

As said, we are all here to help.

But fire away and keep as updated with your project, I can just tell that your's is going to be a real good'n!

All the best,

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

25+ Posting Member

Ah bless you Alex!

Had a think on this one and I think I have a solution for my throttle issue. What I will probably do is extend the MIP and shorten the lower panel. I will then build a pedestal for the throttle, and the combination of the lower panel and the pedestal will equal the length of the MIP.

I am probably going to elongate the pedestal out so that it can also hold 2 or 3 Goflight modules, which also helps me to resolve my 'space' issue- freeing up the MIP for any future additions I might want to stick in there.

Have attached another very basic paint drawing to try and explain it all a little better! I think it's workable though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123