Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Seems to be the case

Maybe it's just me but it seems as though our hobby is slowly dying out.I have been in this hobby pretty much since the bee beginning, or close to and I see a definite downward spiral trend happening to our beloved hobby.Including the fact there seems to be less posts everyday, new members are not near what they used to be.I used to be so excited to wake up and read the dozens of new and exciting posts, now a half a dozen at best The economy and state of our world seems to be taking a bite financially and emotionally from our hobby. I unfortunately is a very sad thing but it indeed seems to be the case. Anyone else have an opinion.JMO
    Tim

Forum Moderator
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Seems to be the case

I don't think that the hobby is dying out, I think people still admire and appreciate this hobby just as much as before, but because of the current financial climate that the world is in today, I think that people don't have the money to continue with their projects. I reckon a lot of members are 'flying' more than ever instead of building, maybe they are really enjoying the flights more than ever now, with some sim add-ons relatively cheap, maybe people are investing in new types of aircraft for their sim...or learning a new aircraft!

Don't forget it is the summer, many are on holiday at the moment, many have had to save for holidays, spending money etc, many still have to pay the bills when they get back, plus winter celebrations are coming up now and again that has to be saved for etc etc....

It's not dying out I don't think.....it could be a number of things as said, money, holidays, etc....

But I'd like to know where all the GA builders have gone though?

Cheers,

Alex
    Building An Airbus In My Garage!

Quote Originally Posted by warvet View Post
    Maybe it's just me but it seems as though our hobby is slowly dying out.I have been in this hobby pretty much since the bee beginning, or close to and I see a definite downward spiral trend happening to our beloved hobby.Including the fact there seems to be less posts everyday, new members are not near what they used to be.I used to be so excited to wake up and read the dozens of new and exciting posts, now a half a dozen at best The economy and state of our world seems to be taking a bite financially and emotionally from our hobby. I unfortunately is a very sad thing but it indeed seems to be the case. Anyone else have an opinion.JMO
    Tim
    The hobby is not dying out... It's our wallets.
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

150+ Forum Groupie

Don't worry, the explanation is kind of simple: Economical crisis in the world. Now, it might seem ignorant blaming everything on the crisis - but I've seen this trend elsewhere too. I am an amateur photographer as well, and over the last six months the market for used lenses has dried out severely!
    People are more careful with their money now, and you just don't spend money on a simulator if you're worried about whether you will keep your job, if the mortgages will go up and so on.

Another thing is the fact that simbuilders usually go outside during the summer, so there's little building during the spring/summer/early autumn.

I also do some woodworking, and the same thing can be observed there: most of the woodworking podcasts is not updated as much.

A few months, and the activity might get going again. And since the economics seems to turn, I have good hopes.

Well said Vidar.

Alex, maybe the GA builders feel overwhelmed by the Jet builders. Imagine a C152 pilot between B747 and A380 pilots. He/She will probably listen a lot instead of doing the talking. Maybe more should be done to state that GA building is just as cool as building a jet sim. Most GA builders are probably building their second sim (a jet?). After all the Wright Brothers did not start off with a jet.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | C# Avionics | CNC)

Ok apparently my words were clearly misunderstood, let me be more crystal clear. In comparison to when I began this hobby literally at its inception and saw it to its peak periods, it has since died off meaning , less active posters, less projects being built or continued, regardless of reasoning. so my point is in comparison to several years ago the decline of hobbyists in this particular hobby, has greatly declined in numbers of actively building flight deck also a marked decline is also evident. Is that better gents WOW didn't expect to have to be that concise here.Was pretty sure the level of intellect that I see in most posts led me to believe that my post was written in a generic , read between the lines candor, apparently it was taken defensively for whatever reason and an apparent need to jump to arms and defend our beloved hobby lol seemed have been the result. Pretty funny actually, when you check my original date of joining this forum and that being the case would be the last person to act on it in any manner that would be considered negative. hmmmmmm next time consider the source and carefully evaluate the post.

Tim

Yes I agree Honda 100%
    And Vidarf you are also very correct, I fully agree great point.

500+ This must be a daytime job mpl330's Avatar

Tim, I can see why you would say this - it does feel to be a bit quieter at the moment but from my point of view:
    It's summer (as much as it can be here in the UK) and therefore there are a lot of house jobs to be done - garden and home improvements

With the current economic situation work is expecting a lot more from me and therefore I'm fairly tired when I get back home on a night

My build still has a long (long) way to go but I feel I have reached a certain stage with it that I can take a slight break from it so i dont get 'builders burn out'. Over the winter months i was either building things or on here and other sim related sites many nights of the week.

I therefore decided to step back a little over the summer months and address some of things that need attention in real life before i get back to it in the autumn.

Just my situation so many there are others with similar pressure??

Just my 2p - all the best
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mpl330 View Post
    Tim, I can see why you would say this - it does feel to be a bit quieter at the moment but from my point of view:
    It's summer (as much as it can be here in the UK) and therefore there are a lot of house jobs to be done - garden and home improvements

With the current economic situation work is expecting a lot more from me and therefore I'm fairly tired when I get back home on a night

My build still has a long (long) way to go but I feel I have reached a certain stage with it that I can take a slight break from it so i dont get 'builders burn out'. Over the winter months i was either building things or on here and other sim related sites many nights of the week.

I therefore decided to step back a little over the summer months and address some of things that need attention in real life before i get back to it in the autumn.

Just my situation so many there are others with similar pressure??

Just my 2p - all the best
    Mike
    Completely agree Mike was just pointing out an observation to folks thats all.
    "Not gonna remove these posts too are ya Matt hmmmmmm"

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Actually within the past month we've seen a 20% increase in activity and similar with the number of hits. I presented a chart to my fellow partners earlier this year, and our numbers are right on track, with a continued increase as mentioned above.

This hobby continues to grow and we are seeing new vendors appear to supply us with products we need.

There was a summer slump, started a bit earlier this year then previous years, but was expected because of the economic set back.

In general, our hobby is going well, and continues to grow.

Matt Olieman

10. Thanks Geremy Britton thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job mpl330's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Seems to be the case

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    Actually within the past month we've seen a 20% increase in activity and similar with the number of hits. I presented a chart to my fellow partners earlier this year, and our numbers are right on track, with a continued increase as mentioned above.

This hobby continues to grow and we are seeing new vendors appear to supply us with products we need.

There was a summer slump, started a bit earlier this year then previous years, but was expected because of the economic set back.

In general, our hobby is going well, and continues to grow.

Matt Olieman
    Good news!

12. Thanks Geremy Britton thanked for this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast