Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Opinions on this alternative to the BU0836X

Quote Originally Posted by ian@737ng.co.uk View Post
    ah! a slight problem here, i'm not sure that leo wasn't telling me he had a hand in the chips and the software for the DA boards.....hmmm
    have a look here
    http://www.desktopaviator.com/Produc...2090/index.htm
    looks awfully similar to a standard bu0836
    then have a look at the 'utility' image and then look at the bu0836 utility. only the names have changed
    but i'm sure if leo doesn't surface, some enterprising soul will surely come up with an alternative because obviously there is a market for high level low cost input boards.
    regards ... ian

I have used the Desktop Aviator Super Rotary 2090. It works pretty good but you have to get the right encoders and make sure you set the software right. The pots work great also. Steve is also a real stand up guy and very responsive. I just bought an extra one of his regular analogue boards for a seperate throttle quad I am building. I believe he collaborated with Leo for the software....

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by autocadplease View Post
    Has anyone built a Mjoy16? Are they too much hassle to build?
    I built one and really like it. The MJoy16 board itself is single sided and easy to make. The key matrix board is double sided and a bit of a pain because of the 96 diodes and 6 40-pin headers. The headers require precise drilling and are tedious to solder along with the diodes.

These two blog entries give some pictures and more details.
    http://workbench.freetcp.com/archives/536
    http://workbench.freetcp.com/archives/685
    Kerbo on YouTube or Twitch
    github.com/wriley

Hi,
    i too have built an Mjoy-16.

I was also looking for an alternative after Leo's site went down, i was really on the verge of ordering a BU0836X but the site disappearance made me change my mind and look for alternatives.

Not really into creating PCB's and stuff i came across a site in the Netherlands (http://www.rvdijk.nl/pcb.htm) which sells a doublesided PCB based on Mjoy16.
    It is called MegaJoystick and has the matrix board integrated, so no hassle there. It is also possible to order a programmed ATMega there, but after some more investigation i decided to give the programming a try myself.

After i received the pcb and all the loose parts i had ordered elsewhere i started putting it together. No special skill is required, just some carefull drilling of all the holes (drove my wife crazy with the sound) and soldering.
    It was the first time that i ever built anything like this, i did some soldering back in the day but that was already some 20 years ago. This just illustrates that you do not need to be an expert for this, just being able to work precisely and some soldering skills is all you need.

Programming also went extremely well, just follow the instructions as found on the original Mjoy site. Interface to the Mjoy board was done via a (homemade) cable connected to the parallel port on my pc.
    I did use the hex file (the program for the IC) from the Dutch site, don't know whether it is the same as the original hex file or not.

For testing purposes and as a prototype throttle quad i have connected 5 slider pots and built some rudimentary levers to actuate them.
    Works like a charm!
    I like to fly the A2A B377 and the new throttles make life much more pleasant when flying this thing.

Make sure that you solder all the headers properly though, i did have some issues with jittering and interfering axes and buttons not working. These were all due to "bad" soldering, a matter of no proper contact between the solder and the pcb traces.
    Also as mentioned in the original Mjoy manual i did use shielded cable for the pots wiring, this got rid of all the jitter in my axes (not related to bad soldering).

So all in all i am quite enthousiastic about the Mjoy!
    I'm sure that the BU series has a lot to offer, but circumstances forced me to look for alternatives and in the process i learnt a lot of new things and got a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction building the thing myself!

Next up is connecting some rotary encoders, when i receive them in my mailbox.

I hope the images show (first time i post images on this forum).

grtz
    Willem
    Netherlands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Just as an FYI to anyone coming across this thread. I recently ordered a BUO836X and have a Tracking number for shipment for it it just a day or two ago. I'm waiting for delivry via Royal Mail Air Service and live in the US. I'll post back when it arrives. I just wanted to let anyone know that Leo evidently has surfaced and is shipping his product as far as I know at this time. I haven't received any communication from him and got this information through my PayPpal account which shows the tracking number. Followup post forth-coming hopefully with good news

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by boris4356 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I originally wanted to purchase Leo Bodnar's BU0836X, but it doesn't look like he is coming back anytime soon. While I have been waiting for him to come back online, I started searching for a viable alternative. I came across this: http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/i...roducts_id=235

It seems to be very similiar in a lot of ways to the BU0836X, but with a little less capability. If I remember correctly the BU0836X could have 16 rotarys. This one can only have 2, and it has digital axis, and I'm not really sure what that means. Can you still use it for throttles and flaps etc.. or do you have to have analog axis?

What makes it appealing is that it is cheaper, and shipping to Canada is by US Mail for only $9.00. This avoids the hefty brokerage fees that companies like DHL and UPS charge for delivery to Canada.

I would really appreciate any comments and opinions on this card.

Thanks
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ian@737ng.co.uk View Post
    ah! a slight problem here, i'm not sure that leo wasn't telling me he had a hand in the chips and the software for the DA boards.....hmmm
    have a look here
    looks awfully similar to a standard bu0836
    then have a look at the 'utility' image and then look at the bu0836 utility. only the names have changed
    but i'm sure if leo doesn't surface, some enterprising soul will surely come up with an alternative because obviously there is a market for high level low cost input boards.
    regards ... ian
    It seems that I need to set the record straight. The 2090 board from Dekstop Aviator is alive and doing quite well; Thank you; and has been on our website for about 2 years now. Come see for yourself:

Bobby B.

============================================================================

I know that this topic is old, but I was just wondering if anyone had any success with the groovy game gear board GP-wiz40 and FSX? I emailed the company and asked them if you could use toggle switches with all the inputs or just the roto-x ones and got an answer of "I think so, we sell them to a lot of flight sim builders." That doesn't really answer my question, a lot of different games out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12