Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Synthetic Vision....for my car?

Ok, so I'm sitting around thinking, how do I simulate the new Synthetic Terrain Vision that seems to be on all the newest Glass Displays?

A couple years earlier I wanted to make a set of "Simulated Night Vision Goggles." that I could just run another "display image" from my FS Server or even through WideView onto a set of VGA Goggles.

So wallah, there it was, two problems solved with the same answer, run another instance of FS (one way or another) and display it, along with a few choice guages, (HUD, PFD Componenets, etc.) and you have a panel displayed SynVision.

So that got me thinking about my drive to and from here and there, on average 74 miles one way, dark Alaskan Winter morning and nights, mini blizzards whipped up as Semi-trucks barrel past you head-on on a two lane highway exactly in the middle of nowhere. Night Snow Blindness lasting up to 10 seconds as the flurried snow settles.

I then thought about Plow Truck Drivers who have a device that picks up signals from magnets and data pods embedded in and near roads and road features, which give the a type of "Flight Director" guidance to drivers on a a box/display mounted on the dash, that gives advance warning of curves, curve speeds, up hills and down grade, and features such as RR crossings, bridges, etc. as they cannot not see due to the snow flurrie they are plowing up in front as they travel at 45 MPH.

I want what they got but probably can't have it, then this struck me....

"Synthetic Vision System" for my car.

Using on board PC, running Windows XP, ->Microsoft Flight Simulator->FSUIPC->FS GPS OUT-> Free FD->to 7 inch 16:9 LCD, to replace Guage Cluster.

This in effect will allow me to use Microsfot Flight Simulator to display a forward looking view of the position reported to MSFS by my Garmin GPS, then using Free FD to translate data from MSFS through FSUIPC, Free FD will display a Primary Flight Display, with heading, altitude, speed, and once I drive a particular road, it will be saved into the Flight Simulator 2004 as a Flight Plan, which when loaded, will calculate the route, allow me to lock-on, and provide me with 1) Synthetic Vision of the road, and rough terrain features (road being most important) 2) Course Deviation (Might help in fog and snowstorms, and micro blizzards caused by semi-trailer combos.) And using the built in GPS I can get ETA, Speed etc. etc.
    and alarms if I deviate over/under speed, or wander of course. Similar to the Syn Vision in the new cars, but with more bells and whistles.

Now imagine if I tweak the scenery to match a little better.

Whaddya' guys think?

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Smile Re: Synthetic Vision....for my car?

Move to Arizona.....
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

Re: Synthetic Vision....for my car?

Oh, I have pondered moving on many a bitter morning, with a frozen this or that, but there is just not enough Alaskans in Arizona.

Regardless, I am looking for some critique by those in the know of these systems or programmers in general.

75+ Posting Member

I don't think it is that simple, I think GPSout sends FS position to the gps. You will need the opposite, I don't think you can slave FS from a real GPS output.
    I hope I am wrong on this??

Andy

That may be true Andy, do you know of a program that goes the other way?

75+ Posting Member

No I dont, BUT if this could work then I think EVERY PLANE FLYING would be crazy to not have this feature. I thought of this years ago that if you could fly a crappy weather approach at night by looking at the same blue sky daytime view you get from a flight sim than you could SEE the hills and the buildings accurately enough atleast to not fly into them. Project an image onto the windscreen and just fly the plane. And with TCAS you could SEE the traffic(with the correct paint job)way cool....
    just my opinion

Andy Smith

Something like this.....(first image) is what I would like to see (with highway stipe of course) not to complicated, compared to what the new G1000 panel displays....(following images)

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ak49er View Post
    Regardless, I am looking for some critique by those in the know of these systems or programmers in general.
    The program for airplanes exists and has been specifically designed for Alaska:

http://www.cheltonflightsystems.com/default.htm
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

I was not aware that "Synthetic Vision" was created for Alaska, but I do know that the FAA CAPSTONE project was piloted in rural Alaska in traditionally high accident zones.

The project incorporates the new ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) System. Which will replace Radar Navigation with satellite surveillance, and air to air communications, which will also result in shorter stagger distance and altitude separation of aircraft, among other features.

Chelton was one of the first systems that the ERA Twin Otters used when they took part in this program. I did not personally observe the Syn Vision, but did observe the use of the "Highway in the Sky" feature.

However, I still want to do this to my car, and upon further thought, I think would be easier achieved if I buy a laptop with mega RAM, and a massive HDD. Then, running Google Earth Pro, with my GPS synced in, I can use the "Hidden" Flight simulator for display, use the built in HUD and voila, in-car Synthetic Vision/Primary Cruise Display (PCD)

Why not...?

People use google earth on iphones in europe to navigate around the cities..y not just do that with your laptop an a gps device?
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast