Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: I am totally frustrated - BU0836X died

OK, I found the problem. My apologies to Leo Bodnar, if I offended his product. It turned out to be a shorted pot. Once that was fixed, the card started working again.

However, I still want a spare card...just in case.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reed View Post
    Leo has taken his site down and is for now on "vacation". No time line when and if he will be back.
    Hi Bob.

As a user of BU0836X (Bodner), I am hoping that you can explain how the 'matrix' wiring system works? Normally, 32 switches would be wired one to each pin with the other switch contact grounded - 33 pins. How can so many switches be independently connected to so few connection pins? Any chance of a diagram? As a matter of interest, if Leo is difficult to contact, would it not be a bit risky to place orders and send money. Just a thought.
    I have written to you because you are a seasoned forum member - hope you don't mind.

TONY
    TWIN OTTER.

300+ Forum Addict

To be honest, I am not sure how Leo accomplishes the matrix functionality in hist code. The typical scenario on the design side of things is to use a matrix for more inputs by using some pins as outputs and some as inputs and scan them in a matrix. For instance, we could take a 8-bit port on a AVR or PIC and use bits 0-3 as output columns and bits 4-7 as input rows. You connect a switch across each intersection between the 4 inputs and the 4 outputs for a total of 16 switches. The you can scan each input in sequence while strobing the outputs in sequence. The code is written so that when a switch is pressed, it knows which one by knowing which output was HIGH and which input it was detected on. This is very common in the microcontroller world and is an industry standard practice as well. I am not sure if this is how Leo does it or not, there are other methods like port-expander chips, etc.

I am currently building a few MJoy-16c boards for myself and some other simmers. The functionality is the same as the BU0836X, although my own BU0836X works extremely well I am seeking to get more inputs at a lower cost. I can tell you from a construction viewpoint that the
    BU0836X does offer great value given that it has the quick-connect terminal strips and can also support rotary encoders. The terminal strips themselves are not cheap.

BuddyM
    Tampa Fl USA
    A320 Builder

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

hi guys..........
    how does he do it? magic seriously, this has got to be the most cost effective way of getting your input's in. frankly speaking there is nothing to touch the BU cards out there for the money.
    i swear by these boards (i actually have 6). never had a minutes trouble with any of them and the oldest standard card is 4 years old.
    i have to admit that communication is not leo's strongpoint, but i know from contact with him that it's not that he doesn't want to communicate, he just doesn't have time.
    sort of a 'victim of his own success' really.
    great product at a great price, now where else do you get that in sim-building ?
    long may the BU0836 family of cards be available
    have a great day gentlemen.
    regards from wales ... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123