Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PMDG: Did I buy the wrong add-on???

Hi guys,

I know there have been quite a few messages posted in the past regarding the unwillingness of the PMDG guys to open up their sw such that we can interface our switches, rotaries and annunciators to it.

But just to help me make a decision here: using the PMDG747 add-on I will NEVER EVER be able to flip a switch on my real life and properly interfaced overhead (say e.g. the Main 1 FWD Fuel switch) and see the result on the EICAS, Right???

From what I've found through the link library of this site, there are quite a few NG enthousiasts running a number different interfaces (Phidgets, OC, etc.). Now, is the NG add-on from PMDG different or are you guys living with the fact that you simply can't get all you would like to see???

Appreciate any thoughts, hints, ideas.....

Cheers,

Martin
    2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3 GB Mem ATI HD 3650
    Vista/FS9.1/PMDG747/UTEurope/MEGAX Frankfurt/Cloud9 EHAM

Flying is easy: move the stick forward - houses get bigger. Pull the stick back - houses get smaller again

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Re: PMDG: Did I buy the wrong add-on???

Check out Ian's site on how he got the overhead to work on the PMDG 737ng http://www.737ng.co.uk/overhead.htm I think he uses FSUIPC's mouse macros.
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Bob Reed's Avatar

If you use Project Magenta or any other logic producing flight systems software, with the older PMDG 737 ( I don't know about the newer ones) you can strip all the gauges out of it and just use the flight model.
    Bob Reed

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    But just to help me make a decision here: using the PMDG747 add-on I will NEVER EVER be able to flip a switch on my real life and properly interfaced overhead (say e.g. the Main 1 FWD Fuel switch) and see the result on the EICAS, Right???
    Right..

If you want a sophisticated add-on that is easy to interface with, without the need to simulate complicated aircraft systems yourself (like PM and so on are doing), then you better switch to the Level-D 767 300ER...

I mean, why would you want to add systems logic that is already present in the add-on?

All home cockpit builders want, is an easy two way interface. So not only the ability to set switches but also to get state information about switches, annunciators, lights and so on. Exactly that what the Level-D SDK is offering (free).

"mijn twee centen"

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. It leads to two more questions...

I have looked many times at Ian's fantastic work on his NG setup. Haven't looked into using mouse macro's so I'll have to do a bit more reading and see if this will work with the PMDG 747.

There is also Luciano's Key2Mouse utility. But if I read the documentation correctly this is only to simulate keystrokes and will not work with real buttons or switches coming in through a phidgets or OC card?

I also know about PM but spending over a 1.000,- Euro's on an add-on? Come on guys, this is a hobby, not a profession! Tried their PMSystems demo. Have to say I am not all too impressed.
    Using PM means you are actually flying their flight model and just use MSFS for the outside view(s), right?

Cheers,

Martin

Flying is easy: move the stick forward - houses get bigger. Pull the stick back - houses get smaller again

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. It leads to two more questions...

I have looked many times at Ian's fantastic work on his NG setup. Haven't looked into using mouse macro's so I'll have to do a bit more reading and see if this will work with the PMDG 747.

There is also Luciano's Key2Mouse utility. But if I read the documentation correctly this is only to simulate keystrokes and will not work with real buttons or switches coming in through a phidgets or OC card?

I also know about PM but spending over a 1.000,- Euro's on an add-on? Come on guys, this is a hobby, not a profession! Tried their PMSystems demo. Have to say I am not all too impressed.
    Using PM means you are actually flying their flight model and just use MSFS for the outside view(s), right?

Cheers,

Martin
    No.... PM is not the flight model. You have to pick the flight model you want to use like the PMDG but PM is actually writtin to use the "stock" flight models. PM is the systems and logic of the aircraft. There are other companies out there doing this type of software PM is not the only one anymore.
    Bob Reed

Thank Bob for your quick response.

So, if with PM, PMDG747 can be the flight model but the PrecisionManual guys keeping their internal logic so very close to their chest how is PM able to update e.g. the EICAS screen in PMDG747 on flipping a switch on the e.g. the overhead? Do the PM guys have access to the PMDG internals or are they using some other backdoor or something?

Cheers,

Martin

Thank Bob for your quick response.

So, if with PM, PMDG747 can be the flight model but the PrecisionManual guys keeping their internal logic so very close to their chest how is PM able to update e.g. the EICAS screen in PMDG747 on flipping a switch on the e.g. the overhead? Do the PM guys have access to the PMDG internals or are they using some other backdoor or something?

Cheers,

Martin
    No. You can not use PM with the PMDG 747. You are not able to take the panels ( where most of the logic is) out of the 747 which is something you can do with the 737. On the PMDG 737 remove the panels and you have removed all of thier propriatary devices. They made the 747 so you could not do that. Remove the panels and the thing will not fly very well at all. Now I am not saying someone has not found a work around for that but I am not aware of any at this time.
    Bob Reed