Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Open Cockpits MCP Please Help.

Hi,

I'm new to this cockpit building stuff,so go easy please. I want to build an MCP using the Open Cockpits boards. My question is will these work for any aircraft i.e. FSX default 737, Level D 767, PMDG 747-400 and the soon to be PMDG 737? Another question i have are how easy are these boards to work with and how do you rate the service from Open Cockpits?

Thats all for now

Many thanks

Brendan

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Trevor Hale's Avatar

Re: Open Cockpits MCP Please Help.

Hi Brendan.. Welcome to the Hobby.

Asking that question is like saying, I want to buy a mo-ped can I drive it on any road....? Sure you can drive the moped on most roads, but it may not work too well on a mud filled road in the rain.

OC cards run on SIOC Script. You program them for the aircraft you want to fly. Some people here use those cards with some of the aircraft you mentioned. as far as I know the PMDG 747 is *NOT* compatible with anyones hardware. SOme people use the PMDG 737, and the Level D is pretty compatible with most things.. but you can't say it will be or is compatible with every aircraft on the market.

Trev

Cheers for the reply Trev. I like the analogy, clears things up a bit.This business about programming the boards for your aircraft, if i had the same setup as someone and the same plane, could i use their settings if they sent them to me, or is it not that simple?If that is possible is it easy to get hold of the required files, e.g. are people forthcoming with them in this community or not?

Thanks Again
    Brendan

Boeing 777 Builder

Hi Brendan,

I am a long time user of Opencockpit hardware both kit form and pre-built. Have a look at my site (follow the link in my sig) and see if it helps. I have the OC prebuilt 737 MCP and it works great in all aircraft I fly. Basically you can operate anything that is available in default aircraft. I can't speak for the PMDG aircraft as I don't have them but I beleive that they utilize some specific programming which isn't accessable to applications like SIOC or FSUIPC.

Yes you can take scripts written by others such as myself and use or adapt to your own sim. This is exactly what I have done for most of my functions as I don't pretend to be a programmer. SIOC can be a little complex (OK, a lot!) for novice users but once you get a few things going you soon see the potential and there's plenty of other more adept programmers here that are willing to help or share. In fact I have posted scripts for all my OC gear on my website which you are welcome to download and use in yours, but as Trevor alluded to, it won't work directly in your sim, you will have to adapt cos no two sims and setups are exactly the same. For a start the USB port number associated to your OC hardware board is assigned by your operating system so that will be individual for each installation. This number needs to be set in the OC config file at setup, so as you can see there will need to be some tweaking, but then isn't that half the fun??

As for service from OC, I have had nothing but good service from them. I live in Aus and all my deliveries have been prompt and complete. No complaints here. However don't expect great joy from their manuals or their forum site. The manuals have all been translated into English from Spanish and leave a little to be desired. They also don't produce any tutorials on how to build their radios etc. so I decided to write up complete tutorials and post them as pdf's on my site. That way others such as yourself can follow a little easier.

Its horses for courses so research and test out other manufacturers as well. The major selling point for me was the price, but OC does usually require a bit more hands on to build or configure whereas paying more for other manufacturers may give you more plug n play. It all depends on your level of skill and handimanship (if thats actually a word?).

Hope that helps, and post some more questions if this isn't sufficient.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Hi Brendan,

In addition to Ken's post. For the Level-D it is almost plug and play.
    You can take the script and my lekseecon program from my website and you only have to search and fill in the USB device parameter of your MCP in your configuration (the one Ken talked about).

Nico

Hi,
    I have start to make MCP also and plan to use OC:s cards too.
    So i need expansion, master and displaycard what i have already.
    Sioc is also what i need to learn or copy some of it, so this topic is very inportant to me also how to make it works.
    pics below.

Regards

Marco
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boeing 777 Builder

Good job there Marco. To begin learning SIOC I can highly recommend Nico's site (Kiek) to give you all the starting points for the programming. Also THIS site for assistance with the contruction of the MCP & EFIS if you haven't already found it.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

10+ Posting Member

Thanks for the replies guys, i was looking for the exact same information and had the same question/s. I'm keen to place an order and have a play, whats the worst that can happen?. If it's ok i'll monitor this post and ask questions/ give an update how its coming along.

Cheers
    Josh

10+ Posting Member

Ok,

As promised here come the questions,havnt even ordered yet, just want to get it right before i start chucking money around lol.Heres a picture of what i want it to look like after i finish:

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/....html?cPath=22

Ok,so with that in mind, i guess i should say i don't want to buy that plug it in and it works, because i like getting involved and having a go,so what i want to do is buy the components, build it up and it works!he he.

My supplier for the boards etc will be opencockpits. My first question is i know i'll need a Master Card, now what can i use to power LED's,encoders and 7 Segment displays? I see there are two 'auxilary/expansion' boards available from opencockpit's (if thats the right termonology)

1.Displays Card

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...card-p-32.html

2.Output Card

http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/...s-c-21_44.html

I've had a look through the opencockpits site and e-mailed them looking for the answer as to whether either one of them will do the same task or do i need one of each type etc. But i couldnt find it on the site and they havnt answered my e-mail that i sent Friday.

Ok Well thanks guys

Josh

500+ This must be a daytime job kiek's Avatar

Hi Josh,

You need:
    1 USB expansion card
    1 Master card
    1 DisplayII card
    1 Break Out box for inputs
    1 Break Out box for outputs

That's all.

You can feed your Master Card with 5V and Gnd taken from a spare Molex connector from the computer running SIOC.

regards,
    Nico Kaan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast