Thread: SIOC for MIP?

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: SIOC for MIP?

take a look here: http://737project.com/ => telechargement => mip
    there is a complete sioc script for the 737 mip including flapindicator, auto break...but i don't know if they are using pm or not.
    christian

500+ This must be a daytime job

Hondacop

I suggest that the question about which SIOC text, is not the fundamental issue here at this stage. SIOC controls the interface between your hardware and FSUIPC/FS. Assuming that you are aiming for a part or full size MIP then generally, you control your sim by:-

1) Using a proprietary avionics suite, which will provide as a minimum, the PFD/ND/EICAS displays and dependent on supplier may also provide the internal logic necesary to control the overhead hardware, 6 pack warning systems etc. If you purchase a full avionics package with systems logic then your choice of aircraft model will largely depend on it`s flight characteristics. Your supporting SIOC text can easily be tailored to suit as you will largely be using standard FSUIPC interfaces and whatever hardware support is provided by the avionics supplier

2) Assuming that if you do not want to invest in an avionics package, then you need to try to "undock" the various flight model displays and/or use FSXpand to show gauges on another monitor. In respect of FSXand, it is a very good product for standby and other gauges, but does not have the full avionics capability. If you opt for the PMDG option then you can undock the gauges ( see Ian Sissons site http://www.737ng.co.uk/) where he has achieved wonders with PMDG737. There is a big catch with PMDG, as advised by Kiek, in that its internal architecture is closed off and accessing functions, mimicking key presses etc is challenging and in some cases ie across a network, very slow.

3) Buy a 737 flight model that has a SDK allowing access to its internal functions, assuming there is one available with a supporting SIOC code.

As ever, it will probably come to a compromise between cost, realism and degree of effort!

You can interface with PMDG, though with some lmitations. There is a lot of useful information on this subject available on this forum - search on PMDG MCP and SIOC. This should then give you a better understanding, following which we can then narrow down which supporting SIOC scripts would be best.

Hope this helps

Regards

David

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

Smile In defence of the PMDG

no, no, no, whatever you do don't use the PMDG. kiek reckons it's useless for cockpit building, so that must be right and somebody (stef i think) a few weeks ago said it was merely a desktop simulator.
    i am devastated....all the effort i have put in developing systems getting it 100% operational and to the point it is today and i missed the most important thing...i didn't buy a DESK ! what a dummy !
    david is quite right, it is all about compromise...remember my equation BUDGET-SKILLS-EXPECTATIONS and SPACE = Your Cockpit. nobody has the same variables, so no two cockpits are going to be the same are they?
    SIOC is no better than what i have done and the way i have done things is no better than anybody else's way. they are just 'different roads to get to the same place'.
    when a better way arrives for me, then i'll take that road. i already have a plan B though.
    however hondacop, i'm hope you manage to find your solution, i think the time has come for me to hang up my flying overalls and take up golf or something that doesn't involve a desk .....
    have a great day chaps ..... ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Hondacop

Mandatory reading:
    http://www.737ng.co.uk/whatdoeswhatwhere.htm

http://www.737ng.co.uk/technical.htm

And thanks again Ian for all this work.

My Overhead is nearly 100% functionnal thanks to you, ..without PM System!

Keep your Overalls on, please....

Cheers
    Jack
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

I've been doing some research on the SIOC code provided by 737project.com and I have a question.

Since both the Captain and FO side have similar buttons such as the below G/S switch and the A/P, A/T and FMC Reset switches, do I need to wire these in paralled to each other?

In other words, should the Captain and FO A/P Reset switch be switched in parallel, where both buttons will use the same INPUT on the IOCard? This way by clicking either button, the switch will function correctly?

I ask because I see only one reference to the A/P Reset switch within the SIOC file, so I figure that both buttons are wired to the same INPUT.

Thanks for the help...
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

Hondacop

Yes you can wire the A/P,A/T and FMC switches in parallel to one input. The GS indicator is an output and you are limited by the 20ma current limit to each mastercard output. You may not therefore have enough power to light the leds within the annunciators. Use a current limiting resistor to 20ma and see if the leds lightup ok, if not then you may have to use two outputs.

A word of caution about the sioc script you are looking at - it appears from the FSUIPC offsets that it is using Project Magenta as it`s avionics and control suite.

Regards

David

Quote Originally Posted by fordgt40 View Post
    Hondacop

Yes you can wire the A/P,A/T and FMC switches in parallel to one input.
    Sweet! That means I can do some rewiring and even save on some inputs by having some switches share their inputs.

The GS indicator is an output and you are limited by the 20ma current limit to each mastercard output. You may not therefore have enough power to light the leds within the annunciators. Use a current limiting resistor to 20ma and see if the leds lightup ok, if not then you may have to use two outputs.
    I'm a bit lost, sorry for the ignorance. Each of my annunciators have 2 LEDs in serial and when I give it 5 volts straight from a power supply, they light up properly. No need to use resistors. Is this what you are referring to?

A word of caution about the sioc script you are looking at - it appears from the FSUIPC offsets that it is using Project Magenta as it`s avionics and control suite.

Regards

David
    So I should change the offsets to FSUIPC offsets?
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

Hondacop

Generally, single standard leds will draw as much power as they can and then go pop! unless you use a current limiting resistor. Ok so your two leds in series have not gone pop, but how much current are they drawing? If you are significantly exceeding 20ma limit on the mastercard then you may have problems later. If you have a multimeter, then put it in series to check the current draw. There are many sites on the web where you can find out about leds/current limiting resistors and free calc programmes - also search this site for led resistor calculations.

The Project Magenta offsets are only reserved memory locations within FSUIPC where the PM avionics programme, having done the necesary calculations, "parks" information for sioc (or other progs), to find and drive the hardware accordingly.

FSUIPC has a wide range of information available, however, you will need to identify which data is relevant, choose the correct offset, and then use SIOC to do any conversion in data format and then "drive" the hardware. Dependent on what you are planning to build, it could be that FSUIPC does not have the data you will require.

The urge to build is overwhelming , however, it may be that additional time invested in research, understanding and developing your preferred solution could pay dividends later. As Jackpilot said earlier, Ian Sissons site is manadatory reading!

Regards

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12