150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Perhaps not motion but "feedback"`

Hi all

Right now - i have a question (well of course i do) - I have an old joystick which I want to tear up and give it new life - for something. However, the BIG question is, and let me say that it is one of those vibration type sticks, can i use the output that goes to the vibration motors (works on F/FB principle) and have them drive something bigger.

i.e. I want to build a "floating" flight chair using nylon type straps or something that will make it a floating platform as such and then have the output for vibration actually feed/drive something in the chair to give it "feedback" i.e. during landing - takeoff, turbulence etc etc. You get the idea

Any ideas? has someone done this yet? can it be done? thanks guys.
    Edit/Delete Message

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Re: Perhaps not motion but "feedback"`

Hi,

This very much reminds me of the dream flyer chair, your body rocks and tilts the chair as if you are really 'rolling' in an aircraft, great for an F16 Setup and definately a must for flying my favourite Extra 260 aerobatic plane!

http://www.exergamefitness.com/dreamflyer.htm

No reason why you coudn't whack a big 18" subwoofer under the chair to give vibration of the aircraft!

Good idea you have in mind though, I am sure there are many ways to develop this, sadly I am not the person that has any experience in motion platforms, but I admire your idea's!

Good luck.

Alex
    GA or the Highway!

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up Re: Perhaps not motion but "feedback"`

Thanks Alex. It sounds pretty simple by idea but by application may be a bit more invloved. The chair is simple as pie but i guess getting the electronics to do the job may be a slight more challenging as i doubt the power from the USB will drive bigger motors with heavier current requirements so some sort of circuit would have to be driven to get the required moment.

hmmmmmm... i have searched the net and nopt really found anything in line with the requirement.

Thanks for you post though

What you are trying to obtain is some kind of tactile feedback based on force feedback stick signals.

Definitely doable. I did some experimenting with signals from logitech 3D FF electronics.
    http://www.simprojects.nl/hacking_a_...back_stick.htm
    If you only need the dynamic signals, you could add a high-pass capacitor+resistor in the signal path, at the positive OPAMP inputs for example. Then you would only amplify the transient signals that then drive the motor. One channel would suffice, and the circuit could be simplified. Instead of DC motor you could use a big transducer, (old speaker with added weight) or couple the motor to a big weight that you quickly move back and forth.
    You do need some power though, I estimate around 100W driving power at least to get reasonable jolts transferred to the floating chair. (depending on the mass of the chair). A big audio amplifier with good low frequency response would go a long way for driving. For lower power you could opt for several transducers placed at your back, hands and feet. see http://www.simprojects.nl/transducers.htm
    You could also add sound signals for engine and wheel on the ground vibration. Makes a lot of difference in the whole experience.
    RR

25+ Posting Member

I had wondered about this before. I had a Microsoft FFB joystick and if memory serves correctly there was a variable resistive force on the stick. The tighter the turn the greater the force. There was also vibration during stalls, jounce upon landing, and you could feel turbulence. Also in fighter sims there was the feel of the guns firing. I wondered if this signal could be ampified and used to drive motors.
    John

6. Thanks Jordan Farmer thanked for this post
    Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon

I guess if you wanted to drive a bigger vibration motor, you could use the output signal from a USB to close a relay, which in turn acitvates a higher power motor, on a separate, higher current circuit? other thank that i cant think of anything else. something along these lines maybe? I havnt studied electrical work for a few years now so ive lost touch with it all :P

http://cpc.farnell.com/imo/731xxx12d...2dc/dp/SW01483