Thread: Butt kickers

75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Butt kickers

Hi All,
    Just wanting to know if anyone has experience with the BUTT KICKERS??? I have been in contact with the seller here in Australia, and i am not sure of which one to go for. There is the gamer version which retails for around $199, which he has advised me against for sim setups. and there is the home thearter one which is nearly $1000, which he says is ideal for a 2 seat sim. Is anyone using the gamer one in their setup?? and does it perform well. Still cheaper to go for 2 gamers ( one for each seat ) than the home thearter version. Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Trev

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Re: Butt kickers

And i dismantled an Aura Shaker for mine. EXACTLY the same idea as a buttkicker with shaker adjust and everything works the same as the buttkicker and cost me £15. You can get them around that much online also. Just a cheaper option for you to consider, if you are taking into account economical reasons.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

25+ Posting Member

Hi Flyboy01:

I use a Buttkicker on my 2 seat Cessnacraft. The seats are hinged in back and the buttkicker is mounted on an extension for more leverage. The end of the lever is sitting on a hard ruber ball which acts as a spring.This works well for me. The turbulence generator works too.
    I still need a good way to randomize pulses.

regards Ken K
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks Geremy Britton, Mike.Powell thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

I recently bought a Buttkicker gamer for my sim (and other games). I have attached it directly under my chair for now and that works fine. My intention is to find a 2nd hand aircraft seat and sit it in a frame on a deck. That way it spread out the vibration and doesn't send it straight up through your arse and spine

I bought one(gamer version) a couple yeas ago when I started building my sim and have just now got it installed. (see North Carolina simroom thread)I have a 2 seat sim and the unit is mounted to the main frame of the sim under the center console. It is attached to a 5 1/2 " x1" dia steel pipe and flange. I have it connected to the regular speaker output and not the bass output. (no output from the bass) I fired up my Dreamfleet Dakota and adjusted the volume on the Buttkicker and the feeling is fantastic. The whole sim vibrates from the engine sound right up through the throttle quadrent. I feel the engine through the seat and through my feet on the rudder pedals. I can feel the rumble of the tires during taxi and take off roll. Oh yea you can tell if the landing is a bit hard as well. What a thump! This thing just adds a higher level of emersion to the sim. No need to spend a fortune on the home theater version. The gamer version puts out plenty of power.
    Regards,
    Brian
    FS9 & FSX ERJ-145, E-170, E-190, PIC737, Archer, Arrow, GF-MCPPRO, EFIS, 4GF-P8, 4GFT8, 3GF-166, 3GF-RP48, GF-LGT, GF-ATC, GF-TQ6, 3 Projectors, 5 monitors 1 computer

Geremy, you took one apart. What's in it anyway, for what I see on here it is quite a small device.
    Is a buttkicker a motor with an exenter weight of something more like a voice coil with a weight attached ?? Just curious... could not be to hard to make a buttkicker/shaker.

I have expirimented on a simular device some 15 years ago. I made a 3D vibrating device using X & Y-axis. Two DC motors with exenter weights regulated by audio through a diferential-amp. Amplitude and Fase shifting gave weird effects mostly ending up in violent behaviour... hard to control anyway (chaos-theory !?!?)

Kind regards, Nico
    Intel DX58SO, i7_920, 6GB DDR3,
    WD Velociraptor, 9800GTX+, Win7_64

I hooked the game version up to my sim also. Didn't have much luck mounting it to a pin, I lost alot of the vibration. Instead hooked it to the rear of the sim, between the two seats and it works well. I just wish it was a little more coordinated with the aircraft movement and less random banging. Ie. cracks in concrete runway's braking and landing etc. I read somewhere on one of the airports you purchase it was coordinated but i never bought it to try. I'm always looking for a way to bring my sim pit one step closer to feeling real.

Geremy
    I have two bass shakers but not installed them yet as still looking on how to drive them

what amp do you use or do you just atatch it to the sub woofer o/p

dave

building a Bae hawk simpit

500+ This must be a daytime job

I have the Buttkicker gamer as well. Have it hooked up to my seat post at the moment. It is great! I can get the effect of low frequency sound without complaints from the Mrs. like I get when I turn the subwoofer up.

Good product, although I think I got mine on sale for something like $50 or $99 US. $199 AUD seems a bit steep.

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Hi Jaspar, nice to see an old thread alive again, I use the aura shaker which you just connect to the mains and also plug into a standard phono output and it detects the sounds and vibrates accourdingly. You can alter the vibration and noise level too.

Hope that helps, anything else just ask.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk