25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Reverse Thrusters on FSX

Hi all. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I am using a CH product Yoke and separate Throttle control(s) with FSUIPC. Now firstly can you control reverse thrusters in FSX? I have followed the instructions from the 3rd party guide and from what I can tell the the reverse throttle area is not an axis but a button and that being the case there is no button option in FSUIPC to select for reverse control.

AGGGHHHH please can anybody help me out here.,

Thanks in advance

Chris

Re: Reverse Thrusters on FSX

Not sure about FSUIPC off the top of my head, but you can allocate 'Throttle (Decrease Rapidly)' in FSX to a button. On the Saitek throttle quadrant you could use the 'button' when the throttle is pulled all the way back beyond the first stop.
    ========================
    www.seething-airfield.com/sim/
    ========================

3. Thanks docmeister thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by docmeister View Post
    Hi all. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I am using a CH product Yoke and separate Throttle control(s) with FSUIPC. Now firstly can you control reverse thrusters in FSX? I have followed the instructions from the 3rd party guide and from what I can tell the the reverse throttle area is not an axis but a button and that being the case there is no button option in FSUIPC to select for reverse control.

AGGGHHHH please can anybody help me out here.,

Thanks in advance

Chris
    Try this, Chris - worked for me. Still without? - let me know.

< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7d8vQznbk >

Regards

dnif

150+ Forum Groupie Jake 747 400's Avatar

Hey, you can actually do it in FSUIPC.
    I did it my self with my CH throttle about a month ago.
    If you get on FSUIPC from FSX go to the tab "Joystick Calibration".
    Then there should be a small window with text inside saying "1of 11:main flight controls with a clickable arrow to the right side of it.
    Click the arrow until you get to "3 of 11: seperate throttles per engine"
    When you get to this page you can control all 4 throttles speratley.
    You can set Reverse, Idle and Max it says this above each throttle.
    Its simple all you have to do is move your lever to the idle position and press "Idle" then move your lever to the reverse postion and press the "Reverse" and if need be you can also set Max.
    It may take a few times to get the calibration right so play around with it.
    Also if you want it for a specific aircraft, in the top right hand corner it theres a tick box saying aircraft specific. If you leave it unticked the reverse should work for any aircraft with reverse thrust.
    Hope it works, let me know.
    Regards
    Jake.
    Boeing 744ever jakes747sim.webs.com

6. Thanks docmeister, Buddym thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Chris to add too Jake's explaination, I'll add just a bit. When using the CH throttle quadrant you'll notice that there is three positions of the throttle levers.

You have full forward, full rearward and the dentent position (about 1/4 way up from the full rearward). So, as Jake said you go to FSUIPC, but go to the tab labeled Axis Assignment first. There you will set what the throttle (or spoiler) lever does/is.

For example, my first lever to the left is set for the Spoilers (B737), the second from the left is engine 1 throttle and the next is engine 2 throttle. I'm sure you firgured out that you move the lever, set it by placing a check next to the first drop down box on the leftside of the axis assignment tab window, and then select what it is in the drop down next too the check box. So, my first lever will be check and Spoilers in the drop down box. As you know you hit rescan and then move the lever to detect it...so, rescan, move lever, set it, rescan, move lever, set it...etc, etc. (you might have too hit rescan a couple of times...sometimes it will detect an axis without moving it, just hit rescan until nothing pops up and then move the one your working with).

Now go to the Joystick Calibration tab and select 3 of 11 as Jake said. Hit each Reset for anything in the throttle 1-4 sections (this starts it new), and then hit set for throttle 1. Then, move throttle 1 all the way forward and click on the Set button for the Max; you should see a positive value of something close too 16383 under the set. Okay, now move the same lever all the way rearward and click the Reverse Set button and you'll get a negative value of something close too -16384.

Next and this is the important part, move the lever to the dentent position (where it rest naturally), and then slightly push it upward as if your moving it out of the detent (or even a hair just out of the detent). Then while holding it there click the Set button under Idle just once. So far so good, now move the lever towards the rear of the detent, in the same manner as before, but as if your wanting to move it out of the detent or a hair out of it, and then click Set under Idle again.

You'll now have two values and likely both will be negative values, mine are -15343 on top and -13783 on bottom. Yours will be different of course, but the bottom number should be lower numerically then the top number. Do not place a check mark in the Rev box, this is only used if you joystick is being detected backwards.

What you just did was setup positions for the idle to occur. The idle is in the middle of the two values and the numbers themselves are like a start point...meaning the start of engine power and the start of reverser power. So, if you want a little more distance before each start, you'd just make those pushes out from the detent a little farther.

As for the spoilers, go to 6 of 11 move the spoiler forward and only set the right Set button (which is forward lever for max) and then move the lever rearward and set the left button (which is rearward for min). Do not use the middle set boxes or do anything with the detent (the values should be -512 and -512. However, place a check mark in the Rev box because the spoilers get set or raised as you pull it rearward and lowered as you push it forward.

Finally, if your doing a two engine aircraft or four just repeat the lever settings for each one on the Joystick Calibration, but make sure you have each one set the Axis Assignment for each as Throttle 1, Throttle 2, Throttle 3, etc, etc...

You Reversers should be working now... if not, let me know.

8. Thanks docmeister, Buddym thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Thanks all for your advice.

I was having a few dramas so I made some minor physical alterations to the throttle controls ( I added an extra indent to them). This was before I realised that there was another solution. I am going to build a Beech Baron 58 cockpit as it is a basic twin prop aircraft with analogue displays. As soon as I have ironed out the kinks with the FSX program and calibration of my basic set up I will move to the next level. I will post my progress as I go as this will be a steep learning curve for me.

Thanks again all

Chris.