Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

multi monitors problem

Hi guys,
    This is my first post so firstly hello to everyone.
    My problem is as follows:-
    my previous system had an nvidia gf7600 graphics card i then added a standard pci dual headed graphics card to use for any gauges that i wanted,
    os was xp.
    I have since upgraded to the following
    os vista 32 home
    nvidia gf8600gts
    intel core quad cpu@2.4ghz
    3 gig ram
    matrox triple head
    trackir4
    3 X 15inch monitors as my primary and a 32inch tv connected via the hdmi socket on the graphics card
    Going of what i did with my previous system i thought i could do just the same ie install the dual head graphics card and i would be away,but no after installing the card my system does not see my primary display just the dual head i also noticed that my nvidia control panel dissappears and my nvidia8600gts is not showing in device manager, only the geforce 5200.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction i would be most grateful but please make it as simple as poss i`m no techie.
    Thanks in advance IAN

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

As simple as I can say it, go back to XP.

I think Vista has issues with multiple video cards.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Re: multi monitors problem

Vista has more then just one issue.

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

First did you find the latest drivers for your 8600GTS (Win Vista 32bit)
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...0.62_whql.html

If you've done that and still have difficulties you may want to consider going to XP Pro. Many have a duel boot system with more then one OS. Vista has quite a few difficulties though. I don't know if Win7 has addressed those or not? I've not seen to much from a difficulty standpoint in the tech press. That said it's not to hard to create a duel boot system with Win XP Pro on one drive and Vista or Win7 on second drive. That way you stay current with all new software and can keep your older stuff working on the other drive. You can then migrate when the OS finally becomes fully compatible if it does?

It's also not a bad idea in case of drive failure as that can happen. Having a duel boot will keep your computer running in that event. Not to through cold water on your new system but drives can fail. If you have just one then you may loose the use of your machine till you have your main drive restored. With a duel boot you have a 'backup' in case that happens.

Just some saged advice from a person that's been there before
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

75+ Posting Member

Hi Folks

okay. Vista does not support multiple monitors. If you fit two video cards, vista will shut one down. XP does support multi-cards, but bear in mind that PCI cards are getting hard to obtain now.

With Windows 7, they are re-introducing multi-video card support. They "thought" that no-one would want that facility in Vista so removed it from the code.

From what I am hearing and have seen on corporate copies, Win 7 is what Vista should have been! It is much quicker, will support up to 8Gb ram (Vista only 4Gb) and full quad core support (32 and 64 bit). I have my Win7 pre-ordered and cannot wait to get rid of Vista, then I can have a ceremonial burning of the Vista disk! (Might make a good ashtray - at least that would be useful).

Better option in W7 is to go with two video cards and an sli bridge giving you much more power.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

I don't know if Vista 64bit is different but I used to have 2 nvidia cards and they work just fine. I have windows 7 64 bit now and still no problems. I would say go 64 bit, you can use more RAM and everybody makes 64 bit drivers now.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Vista 32 Home Premium does support multiple monitors, I have a Nvidia 9600GT PCIe and a 8400GS PCI stuffed in my box plus 3 monitors - 42" LCD TV, 23" widescreen LCD and 19" LCD. Works fine! I don't know about Vista basic though

Now what happens if you have multiple cards/use multiple outputs and your power supply isnt up to scratch, well with multiple cards and not enough power - only one will work.

I had to upgrade my power supply because the standard 350 Watt power supply wasn't man enough for the job - I fitted an 850 Watt Power supply. Simple job and they are around £30 - £40 ($40 - $60)

Hope that helps
    cheers n beers

Ian

Could anyone tell me how to add a couple of 17" TFTs one to display the PFD and the other to display the ND, GPS and engine instruments using vista Home premium with no networked computers. May seem like a silly question to some people but I really don't know how do it and any advice would really be appreciated.
    Thanks

75+ Posting Member

Hi

Not sure what aircraft you are wanting to use, but to run multiple displays you will need a Matrox Triple Head (TH2Go) unit which can then divide your window into three parts. It is then a case of undocking which window you wish and drag it to the appropriate screen. However, without knowing your setup it's a bit of a vague answer. Your video card needs to be a good one as you have to ramp up the resolution really high for the Matrox unit to divide this back down to 1024 x 768 for your three monitors.

Be aware that if you are using WS monitors, the analogue version of TH2go does not support this format so you would need the digital version.

You will also need extra VGA/DVi cables as the tight-wads at Matrox don't supply extras!

Hope this gets you on your way
    Regards

Richard (Peterborough UK)

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpit View Post
    Could anyone tell me how to add a couple of 17" TFTs one to display the PFD and the other to display the ND, GPS and engine instruments using vista Home premium with no networked computers. May seem like a silly question to some people but I really don't know how do it and any advice would really be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Simplest way is to add another graphics card to your system. In a Vista system you must use the same driver for both cards; e.g. both must be Nvidia cards or both must be Radeon cards. The cards do not have to be exactly alike. An inexpensive second card will handle the instruments you want. I use a $30 Radeon 3450 for the purpose.

Jim.
    Last edited by deering; 10-18-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect reference to using PCI slot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast