Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Good MCP for 737-800?

I know that the FlyEngravity MCP Pro is almost an exact replica of the real thing but at a price of 999.00 EUR (approx. 1,500.00 USD!!!!), I think it's way too much money. With this said, what you guys think is good MCP to invest some money into? I was thinking about the OpenCockpits MCP 737NG v2 but not sure. At a price of 335 EUR (375 EUR for the white digits version), is MORE affordable. Thanks for any info.
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by HondaCop View Post
    I know that the FlyEngravity MCP Pro is almost an exact replica of the real thing but at a price of 999.00 EUR (approx. 1,500.00 USD!!!!), I think it's way too much money. With this said, what you guys think is good MCP to invest some money into? I was thinking about the OpenCockpits MCP 737NG v2 but not sure. At a price of 335 EUR (375 EUR for the white digits version), is MORE affordable. Thanks for any info.
    Whereabouts are you? I have a spare PFC MCP, one I used for developing my PFC drivers for FS, full width including pilot and copilot EFIS controls and six-packs, several thousand dollars from PFC, which I can part with for UKP 500 (Euro 600). But I'd hate to have to post the thing -- it's over 4 feet long and weighs quite a bit. I am hoping to be able to get it collected by the purchaser -- or maybe meet him/her halfway in the UK.

Regards

Pete

500+ This must be a daytime job Jackpilot's Avatar

Grab Pete's offer...super deal.
    Otherwise:http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=479
    around USD 800, Integrated 5v backlighting!
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

75+ Posting Member

I am in the same predicament as you. I have looked at the CPflight mcp pro, which looks great.. very functional with the EFIS pro combo and the A/T disarm solenoid, but very $$$. The OpenCockpit is cheaper... looks ok, but the EFIS appear less functional and the mcp itself looks less detailed.

I know FDS are working on a new version of their MCP. Pete over at FDS tells me there is one in the works and looking at what they have delivered in their pro range so far, i am sure it will be nothing short of fantastic. The question will be how much will it cost. I image it should be around the corner as I believe a prototype has already been built. I will probably hold out another couple of months before i take the plunge and buy something

Cheers

Diego

10+ Posting Member

Re: Good MCP for 737-800?

Is this still up for sale, also how much does this weigh?

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Madgrandpa View Post
    Is this still up for sale, also how much does this weigh?
    Which one? Do you mean the PFC full MCP+2xEFIS+2x6packs from me?

Pete Dowson

I took delivery of the open cockpits mcp just this week. The one without the enclosing box, 280 euros.
    Without having any experience of any other manufacturer's products i cannot comment on them but i can say after a little installation teething trouble i couldnt be happier with my mcp. From order to delivery ( 10 days ) everything went great.
    The unit was packaged really well and as i ordered the non boxed version i was able to see the workmanship inside, which is top notch. Once installed into my sim it felt solid and the rotary knobs and buttons feel "chunky". It looks good at night although its not backlit.
    So all in all a very good choice.

10+ Posting Member

Yes Peter, the whole package (your asking price is 500 squids forthe whole thing, right?)

Also, am I required to purchase my own IO cards or is it all just plugn'play???

Thanks.(sorry for the late response.)

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Madgrandpa View Post
    Yes Peter, the whole package (your asking price is 500 squids forthe whole thing, right?)
    Yes.

Also, am I required to purchase my own IO cards or is it all just plugn'play???
    No cards. It has a USB connection, almost plug-n-play, 'cept the USB is really a serial COM port and needs a little driver. It's okay on XP 32-bit and will be on Vista or Win 7 32-bit, but I don't know if the USB-Serial chip manufacturer has come up with a 64-bit driver yet.

Then you need either Project Magenta's MCP program to drive it (and that works as part of the whole suite -- CDU, GC packages), or you can run it direct to FS using my PFC driver (or PFCFSX for FSX/ESP). In the latter case you wouldn't be easily making such full use of all of its bits and pieces.

The 6-pack indications, fire and master caution stuff is mostly driven by the pmSystems part of PM, though you could also drive it using Lua plug-ins to FSUIPC as all pmSystems is doing is handling FSUIPC offsets. Without PM my PFC driver tries to do a bit of 6-pack handling - but really only in the FSX version, as that it what I use and which has therefore been developed a lot more.

If you are going the PM route I still have a complete free-standing CDU with its own self-contained mini PC and traditional green CRT, which runs the PM CDU program, at £200 to clear. It has a little start-up problem requiring a little manual trickery, which is why it is so cheap. I could strip out the PC within it and sell that for more than the whole thing (miniature complete PCs are really expensive these days), but I can't bear to destroy such an interesting unit!

Whereabouts are you in the UK? If not too far from me (just North of Stoke-on-Trent) it may well be worth your while paying a visit to see the kit and discuss more detail?

Regards

Pete