Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Motion Platform Ideas

I have been working on a motion platform for a while now. I'am planing on using Ian's software to run it. My question is does it look like it will work and what type of joint should I use to connect the control arms to the motion platform. I have toyed with idea of using rod end bearings but I don't know if it will give me the range of movement that I need with out binding. I also thought of using 90 ball joints I just dont know. I have the base built and the blue bar moves freely with the u-joint on top. I plan on using 3 car winches to move my control arms. Depending on how long my lever is and where I attach the winch cable will determine the speed of the control arms movement and the amount of force it will take to move it. Over all what do you thank

Thanks in advance for all the in put
    3DOF.JPG

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up Motion sim

Hi Been dabbling with this type of project for a long time now, loads of trails and a few errors to boot but all good fun. in this game i have found there are a number of ways to skin a cat to coin a phrase but for me it always comes back to cheapish DIY actuators, where either the speed of the Torque is tooooooo sloooow and the trade off available to your average DIY'ER tend to stall or should that be Ground a lot of projects . Winch motors i belive will have the power but you may loose out in the speed stage and finding a cheap ish H bridge controller which could handle the Current loading caused by Motor reversals.. mechanically you have a nice set up which seems to cover all the bases. what winches were you thinking of using ..

I'am planing on using 12V off road car winches rated at 2000 pound of pulling force and using 3 of them at a cost of 70.00 Ea U.S. The speed is rated a little more then an inch a secound. Like I stated the speed and force will be determind by where I attach the cable to the control arm. I also plan on using Ian's motion control design it uses MDO3 controlers and a PICAXE I.C.

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up Motion sim

Hi Terry Keep an eye on Ians site as he is in the process of possibly releasing his Control electronics on a single PCB .. no more breadboard and fiddly wires ..all in all should make for even easier implementation of his software/hardware for the novice builder ..

25+ Posting Member

Hiya Terry,
    Interesting setup. I'm going a different way. I looked into doing very similar to what you have there but I'm sort of poor right now and needed to devise something that wouldn't require me to actually "buy" anything. I'm a Ford mechanic so all of my parts are scavanged from assy's I've replaced on customers vehicles. One thing I do have that you can probably get for free from a GM dealer is the u-joint and sliding shaft. There has been a recall on the steering sector shafts of GM trucks. I work at a Ford\GM dealer and there must be 50 of them sitting in a pile over here. It's a splined shaft within a shaft and a small u-joint at both ends. I wanted to test the u-joint (it's kinda small) so I hung a 6.0 diesel engine from it and swung it around some. Held the weight no problem.
    Good luck with your build.
    John

I have the base built. I have the blue bar installed it mounted to some THK industrial linair slides it built for large CNC mechines. Got it off ebay for 50.00 its very neet and move on some ball bearing cars very smooth. Its funny that you say you work for Ford. I work for a chrysler dealer in sales. I frequently scavange the junk parts pile that is where my U-joint came from it from the drive shaft of a ram 1500 it sits in the blue bar perfictly and I drilled a hole through the bar and the u joint and bolted it together I like this becuse I dont have to weld any thing

Re: Motion Platform Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Terry72 View Post
    I have been working on a motion platform for a while now. I'am planing on using Ian's software to run it. My question is does it look like it will work and what type of joint should I use to connect the control arms to the motion platform. I have toyed with idea of using rod end bearings but I don't know if it will give me the range of movement that I need with out binding. I also thought of using 90 ball joints I just dont know. I have the base built and the blue bar moves freely with the u-joint on top. I plan on using 3 car winches to move my control arms. Depending on how long my lever is and where I attach the winch cable will determine the speed of the control arms movement and the amount of force it will take to move it. Over all what do you thank

Thanks in advance for all the in put
    3DOF.JPG

Hi Terry.

Trying to build a platform, but cant see how to interface with the system when it is built. Can you let me know how to contact Ian who seems to have a few good idea's - particularly with the motion controller.

Many thanks.

TONY
    (manhattan).

75+ Posting Member

Hi Tony,

For good stuff on DIY motion platforms there are a few websites - here are some,

Mine is at http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/index.html

Roland's is a great source of ideas at - http://simprojects.nl/

Thanos' at - http://ptyxiouxos.net/greekbotics/us..._simulator.htm

and Jim's at - http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.html

There are others also but lots of ideas and reading in these ... and other interesting ideas in the forum posts.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanH1960 View Post
    Hi Tony,

For good stuff on DIY motion platforms there are a few websites - here are some,

Mine is at http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/index.html

Roland's is a great source of ideas at - http://simprojects.nl/

Thanos' at - http://ptyxiouxos.net/greekbotics/us..._simulator.htm

and Jim's at - http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.html

There are others also but lots of ideas and reading in these ... and other interesting ideas in the forum posts.

Ian
    Thanks Ian. FANTASTIC INFO! Will be buying some software from you.

TONY.