Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Glenn's Generic Fighter Pit

Hello All, I am new here but have been slowly plugging away at my project over the past 6 years but have been pretty much at a stand still for the past 3 years & now starting back on the project again......They say it's never finished !!

Anyhow I have introduced myself in the "Introduce Yourself" section.
    http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16156

So now I am going to re-construct my original building log here for everyone to read, The original forum where these posts were made is now non-existant but I have a backup of it, so I would like to put it back online.

All the the re-constructed post will be marked as Such with it's Origianal Date, Otherwise all other posts will be current information at the time of the post.

Bear with me as there is 4 pages from the original forum so it may take me a bit of time to get everyting over Here.

Cheers Glenn.

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Like I said before Glenn, look forward toward your coverage of the building your cockpit

Matt Olieman

25+ Posting Member

Reconstructed Log
    Originally Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:12 pm

Well, Here are some pics of the AcesII seat, & some pictures of my testing setup which is just some monitors & PC's setup on a desk, not much to look at at this stage but hopefully I will look back on it & think about how lost I am feeling at the moment, It is so hard to know where to start sometimes, I decided the seat was the best place that way I can get a feel for how far things should be away from my sitting postion, How high the glare sheild should be, how high to mount the displays etc.

So here you go, please ignore the wood grain & purple laminex, I am building from scrap that has been laying around the house here for some time, it will eventually get a paint job but thats not important right now.

ACES II Ejection seat Plans

ACES II Ejection Seat Started

This is the concocktion of crap that went airborne in an online flight test with VATSIM ATC to make sure all systems worked OK, All frequency changes were made using the radio stack on screen using RW-Switcher, FSBus was not ready for this online test flight

Initial software testing, Custom panel layout on the LCD Monitor by yours truly...& Rotated 90Deg using the latest NVidia Video drivers, This will be my center console just above/between my legs, all the primary instruments one would ever need.

FSBus mounted in a PC Case, Very Convenient !!
    Last edited by Glenn Weston; 05-23-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Additional Images

25+ Posting Member

Reconstructed Log
    Originally Posted: Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:15 pm

Here are some radio stack Ideas, with CCF backlighting & a negative.

Dead CD-Rom's can be useful to make modules with.

A bit out of focus cause it taken in the dark.

25+ Posting Member

More Seat Pics

Reconstructed Log
    Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:04 am

OK here are the pictures of the completed seat less a spray job & upholstry, as you can see I am now starting to put together a bit of a layout to see where & how high the monitors should sit, the three PC's holding up the monitors are not the flight computers they are just junk PC's that are laying around here & seemed just the right height to sit the monitors on.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Nice work Glenn. I did the same thing with a 12" monitor for my engine gauges.

Welcome to the site. Glad to have another builder aboard.

Here is a site you may find useful during your build. Very nice folks to deal with.

http://www.bpbsurplus.com/lc/cart.ph...ategory_id=308
    Last edited by Michael Carter; 05-23-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

25+ Posting Member

Reconstructed Log
    Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:06 am

HI Guys, once again...........Just thought I would show some small progress I have made.

I have not touched the project for a few months but am back into it again.

I have come to realise I will not be building from plans but rather studying pictures from sites of pits that other people have built & incorporating those ideas that I like into mine.

One particular design I really like is a pit designed & built by Joseph Bosnjak, it has good access to things even after the pit has been built.

Check it out.
    http://www.f-16cockpit.com/ (Sorry this link seems dead now)

I recently picked up some real radio panels at a radio field day held in Wyong, north of Sydney last February, I have studied very carefully how the backlighting is achieved on the panels, it is very simple, there is a light carrier plate made of glass that is painted all round white, then printed on top with black with the white exposed where the lettering is, lights are inserted into the glass around the panel, once the light enters the glass it just bounces around inside reflecting off the white paint, the paint is obviousley translucent as well, I did some experiments with perspex painted white & LED's inserted, the results are quite good, so I am re-thinking the backlighting approach now & may not use the CCF lamps.

Anyway here some more PICS to look over.

Cheers Glenn.

Here is the panel I used to look at how the backlighting is actually achieved.

25+ Posting Member

Thanks Michael, That looks like a pretty handy site, some good bits & peices there.

It sure can be hard to find things, particularly military style bits here in OZ.

Cheers Glenn.

Reconstructed Log
    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2004 12:30 am

Well Some more Pics to look at,
    I have Finally settled down on some dimensions.

Also this seat will be adjustable like in a car, so I have allowed for that in the design.

It was really good to get rid of those PC's propping up the monitors & actually see them sitting on a proper shelf, it's actually starting to take shape now & is getting exciting.

Once I get the tub together I should be able to hook up some on board computers & maybe go for little test fly to see how it feels, I can tell you already just sitting in the tub feels quite good & that seat althought it does not look it, is extremely comfortable & it hasn't got any cusions yet !

The side walls of the Tub require large holes to be cut out to allow cabling access & to reduce overall weight of the sim.

Once this Tub is ready I will then start on the side panels, they will be of a ribbed design & will be like a side door & will be hinged at the front of the Tub, the side control panels will be housed in them once completed.

Anyway here some more shots.

All just being held together with some clamps at this stage, just to make sure I have not stuffed anything up, but it's lookin' alright so far.

25+ Posting Member

Reconstructed Log
    Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2004 1:25 am

I have done some more work over the last few nights, Easter Weekend, so I have a bit of time up my sleeve.........I have screwed all the pieces together & got it all pretty square, went crazy with the Jigsaw too, the weight reduction is quite significant.

The Tub itself has not been fixed to the floor as yet, I think that will be the next job.

I have now cut a hole in the back of the seat while I had the Jigsaw out, this will allow placement of a Subwoofer in the back of the seat, I also plan to put one under the seat pan as well, this should add to the realism quite a bit.

So here is some more Pic's.

Cheers Glenn.

[IMGhttp://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/data/731/122-2269_IMG.jpg[/IMG]

25+ Posting Member

Reconstructed Log
    Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:09 am

Progressing slowly & have now moved onto to side walls that will house the side control panels. The main TUB is now firmly screwed down onto the floor with wood screws every 200mm from underneath the floor, This now stops any sagging of the floor when sitting in the PIT, She's rock solid.

The side walls in these shots are being held in place with double sided tape & a couple of clamps on the end ones, the ribs will have the guts jig sawed out of them again to reduce weight & to allow cabling to pass allong the length of the sim.

I have re-thought the way to hinge the side walls, I plan to hinge them along the bottom along the floor & not at the end, this will stop the sim tipping over as side walls are pretty long. The hinges will be the post type so I can completely remove the side wall whenever it is required, say for transportation or dismantling.

I plan to use some thin bending ply, I actually have a little bit in the workshop & it is extremely flexible, almost like cardboard, to cover the ribs with on the outside. That should give a nice appearance from the outside.

I have just purchased some Rudder pedals on ebay & waiting for them to turn up.

All work on FSBus & the Avionics is on hold until I get the structure finished, I haven't even looked at the latest version yet !!

Here are some more PIC's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast