300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Bitten by the building bug.

Hi there,

I have been a lurker here for quite a while. I have been an active simmer since about 1997 and have always longed to have my own cockpit. Initially I wanted to build an F-16 cockpit for Falcon 4 as I really love the F-16 but I have a son who is now 14. He has been flying on Flightsim since he was 4 and is a serious IVAO pilot. I also have a soft spot for the Boeing 737 and having purchased both the Wilco and PMDG aircraft the choice inevitably fell on a 737. A 737NG to be exact. I see it as a father and son project which should be good for spending some quality time together and as a kind of 'gift' to my son, he will soon be able to fly from a more realistic cockpit.

Although still not 100% certain I have decided that the bulk of the project will be Opencockpits/Hispapanels. I like the look and the price of the Opencockpits MCP, FMC and EFIS. I already have several OC cards in kit form (master + expansion), and one leds display card as wel as Leo Bodners interface which I plan to use for the TQ. Ideally we will build a sim that we can fly while building and once everything is in place, connected and working, look at a software upgrade. I plan to use PMDG in the meanwhile but once we have a fully functioning forest of knobs, switches and dials I would really like to step over to Simavionics or Flightdeck solutions for the software. PM Systems have great looking stuff.... but we are on a budget.

Our project will be split into 4 major phases

Phase 1
    *MIP >> made of 8mm MDF
    *Placement of the sub-panels on the MDF panel
    *build annunciator 'boxes' a master box made from plasticard will be cast in PU resin to make the 120-odd annunciator holders
    *construction of landing gear handle
    *removal of the sub-panels, paint the MIP, replace all the panels
    *wiring of all buttons, annunciators , switches, etc on the MIP, even those that will not be used initially.
    *purchase and installation of the flaps gauge from OC
    *purchase and installation of OP MCP.

Throughout Phase 1 the PMDG 737 will be flyable. Two additional monitors will be used for the overhead and the FMC/MCP. Also, Up until Phase 3, the Cpt and FO displays will be taken from one PC and split using a VGA/DVI spiltter. While Phase 1 is 'active' I hope to purchase 3x24 inch tft and a Matrox tripleHead2go (digital).

Phase 2
    *purchase and instalation of CPT's EFIS (OC)
    *fabrication of glareshield wings
    *installation FO + CPT Warning panel and master caution buttons.
    *construction of Radio Stand + TQ pedestal/FMC bays (8+10mmm MDF).
    *purchase Hispapanels Overhead and components.
    *purchase OC display card, output cards, and master cards for the overhead.
    *wiring of the overhead
    *installation of seperate pc + software for FO.

Phase 3
    *Construction of TQ
    *Purchase and installation OC FMC.
    *Construction of sim base with intergrated, linked, control yokes.
    (Why do this later? Well if I start with this phase things will take way too long, also space is an issue at the moment some free space has to be made in the computer room, and, as this is a long term project I think that it will be easier to do it this way).

Phase 4

Will entail the tweaking of systems and finding myself a nice hostess to bring coffee when I hit the 'attend' button
    Once all this is done I think the main (FS2004) PC will be ready for an upgrade, it will be replaced by a new system. Ultimatly I would like to have a seperate FMC and EFIS for the FO but this is something that only needs to happen in the very distand future. As long as two people can fly the sim like a real 737 is flown then we will both be chuffed

It might sound like I really know what I am about to embark on but believe me I still have sooooooo many questions. I know that there is a wealth of information in ths and on other forums and websites. I already have a large 'file' on all kinds of things, I reckon I/we can do this, .. I am just worried, no, bothered, about motorizing the throttle quadrant. I really think that if one is going to stick this much effort into a cockpit then the throttle should be motoized!!

Some pics of the first half hour of work, these were taken last week:

You can check out my sons 737 films on YouTube under the name 'flyingfilipe' (Just an innocent punt, ... seeing his clips shows how passionate he is about flying and is my biggest inspiration to get building instead of just dreaming about a panel.

All but 5 of the paper panels and gauges have now been replaced by Hispa panels. This weekend I will build the MIP stand and attach the MIP to the stand, then the cutting and sawing will begin and I will start cutting out holes for the panels, the electronics and the backlighting.

There, that must be the longest intro I've ever written anywhere. Thanks for your time and patience
    Last edited by capetonian; 05-14-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Fixed a few small things.

I'd say that you have been more than "bitten" Please remember there is no 12 step program or known cure for this affliction. Not even completing one offers any hope to a cure.

I commend you on your planning and involving your son. It is priceless to have something like that to share.
    Rodney -
    Real 727-200 pit
    Last Flown as N392PA
    FS9

Hi there its nice too see Im not the only new South African. From one new dude to another Welcome

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Baie Dankie!!

I might not live in SA any more, but I am still a Saffer through to the bone, .. good to see more South Africans building too

Once a Safrican always a Safrican, I do envy you a little bit though, it seems you are where components etc for sim cockpits are cheap and ideas are flowing all the time. Im stuck trying to get an addapter plug to convert an old style joystic plug to USB port. The local vendor says yes he can get one but noew we are four months down the line and Im still waiting. Still even with African time I recon Ill get my cockpit built eventually. I fly mostly A380,s painted in South African liveries. Ive done three so far and I am working on a fourth paint of a "what if" Biofuel aircraft.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi there, welcome to MC.Org and good luck with your 737NG project. Check out my sim after 4 years!!!

Regards,

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Bitten by the building bug.

hey do you have PDF of this for i thing i should build you can send the pdf download tol younas_96@hotmail.com?