500+ This must be a daytime job mauriceb's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Sim withdrawals & the shakes

Last year, I dismantled my sim in preparation for a move next year to larger premises where I would finally have enough room for an enclosed deck.

Part of me was really wishing I would lose interest in flight simulation and decide to sell everything and simplify my life as I'm reaching retirement (I do have many other less insane hobbies to keep me occupied). Minimalism was beginning to sound very appealing to me.

For a while, it seemed to work. I felt a strange sort of relief at not worrying about how to get fewer stutters in FSX, or not worrying whether PM would sort out all the bugs, or when should I be upgrading my PC again, or whether MS would come out with FS11 soon (sic), or wondering about the best way to build dual linked yokes, or wondering whether I should get a very large touch screen for the overhead or the real thing instead etc ... etc...

So I occasionally visited the various forums and felt a bit of smugness at having overgrown this silly hobby and coming back down to earth (pun intended). I even felt mildly amused by people describing their self induced problems (self induced because they voluntarily got involved in flight simulation).

I felt liberated and somewhat superior because I thought I had reached a higher level of sanity & enlightenment than the rest of you who were still mired in adult 'toys' and who wanted to keep your childhood fantasies alive, since you never made it as firemen

Alas, my recovery is beginning to crumble & unravel . There is no such thing as “Flight Simulation Anonymous” where I could find some support from like-minded & similarly afflicted folks. There are no drugs to ease the cravings, nor is it possible to live somewhere where you never see an airplane again. My screen saver still shows flight decks and I couldn’t even bear getting rid of that (and that might have helped a bit).

There’s hope though. I still have about a year before I can re-assemble my sim, so hopefully new drugs or a patch will become available for recovering simaholics.

But time is flying (darn it, I meant to say passing by and here is that cursed word again) & I am feeling weaker & weaker. Can the shakes be far away now? Having to get up so often to pee in the middle of the night is not helping either. Some day soon, I may not be able to get back to sleep and TV infomercials in the middle of the night will soon lose their ‘appeal’. Wouldn’t it be nice if I could just step into my flight deck & take off to an exotic destination and….what am I saying????

I must resist... I must resistI must resistI must resist… _______________________________

Now, where is that basket weaving kit my wife got me last week? Did I leave it next to the Macramé kit she gave me last month? And where did she hide my credit cards & checkbook anyway?

Maurice

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor Jackpilot's Avatar

Hi Mau
    The good news is that you saved $thousands staying in the sandy dunes far from the water hole because in the meantime far better/friendlier/high-tech products surfaced, giving you a chance to jump back in and be up to date ( for a short while) instead of struggling with antiquated hardware or software from last year/month !!!
    Jackpilot
    B737-700 Posky
    FS9/P.Magenta
    without PMSystem

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpilot View Post
    Hi Mau
    The good news is that you saved $thousands staying in the sandy dunes far from the water hole because in the meantime far better/friendlier/high-tech products surfaced, giving you a chance to jump back in and be up to date ( for a short while) instead of struggling with antiquated hardware or software from last year/month !!!
    Yes, 'unlimited' new hardware & software possibilities, but very limited retirement funds thanks partly to the global financial meltdown . On the plus side though, overeating lowers life expectancy, so less money for food will help my simulator and my longevity....win-win situation really; just need to get my wife to agree to the benefit of increased longevity

Maurice

Maurice! You would miss taking the mick out of Tim for ever building an airbus! You cant give this up hehe

150+ Forum Groupie

Smile your gonna miss it

Hi maurice did you really try to sail that past the missus me thinks wings would have been clipped LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rhysb View Post
    Maurice! You would miss taking the mick out of Tim for ever building an airbus! You cant give this up hehe
    Don't you worry Rhys. Tim is everlasting target practice. It's almost like he paints a few red & white circles on his chest before he opens his mouth

Maurice