10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

How to connect all of the panels to the computer?

As you guys know, the are lots of panels, switches in a simulator, but I just don't know how to connect all those things to the computer.

You can use what is called an interface card. It will connect all the little parts to the computer. I personally use phidgets (http://www.trossenrobotics.com) ith FS2Phidgets (availabe here for download). there are more different kinds. A good place to start your research into this hobby is here http://www.fscockpit.com. They will tell you everything you need to know to get started and more.
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

3. Thanks tnpoon thanked for this post

Keep in mind that there are plug and play interface kits, where you just connect the wires to the right connectors, and highly configurable but complex interfaces. I use Opencockpits, which is very versatile. You can program almost anything you want. Plus it's friendly priced. But be prepared to spend a lot of hours studying the interface and if you don't have electronics and programming experience I would advice to go for the plug and play stuff.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

5. Thanks tnpoon thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Question How to pogram the "things" ?

thanks, but when you plug in the panels and all of those stuff to the interface card, how to program the controls?

I cant speak for other interfaces but Phidgets uses FS2Phidgets and FSUIPC to talk to the flight sim. Others GENERALLY have there own kind of program, nd sometimes you have to make your own.
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

8. Thanks tnpoon thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Re: How to connect all of the panels to the computer?

Here is some insight for your questions of how to program the interface input/output (I/O) cards.

Okay, as the other pilots mentioned, "plug and play" cards are simple. I use Flightdeck Solutions (FDS) SYS cards and they're quite easy to use.

Here is an example. Let's say you connect a wire to whatever button or switch, you connect the other end of that wire to a wire on the SYS card, and then you go to the InterfaceIT software interface window (the program that comes with the SYS cards) and select the XML input of what that button or switch is meant to do.

Here is the cool part, let's say you have a B737-700 and you have a MIP and Overhead setup; well, because the XML's are going to be common for everyone with that plane, FDS made some of these XML's already. So, through the InterfaceIT program window, and if you're assigning (that is what it's commonly called) the AFDS FMC button for example, you go to a drop down menu for that button and select the already made XML for assignment to this button...simple.

Although FDS SYS cards uses XML's primarily, the XML's do not cover everything. However, FDS has work arounds for that issue too. You can make your own XML's or just use FSUIPC Offsets (programming codes that come with FSUIPC). If you look at the Offsets list (check the FSUIPC PDF files) and look for whatever button you're assigning and then you go into the drop downs of the InterfaceIT and select FSUIPC, you'll then be able to input the codes you've selected for that particular button.

This all sounds harder then what it is…really, but it's not. It's a lot easier when you’re actually doing it. Also, with the FDS cards and InterfaceIT, you can do the outputs for the annunciators (led’s), as well as many other functions.

Finally, you can go with other IO cards that are “plug and play”, but some can be “plug and pray”. There are many and you have to research them. I can tell you this, what is important too me about FDS SYS cards; you don’t have to use resistors for the LED’s. There are so many annunciators on the Overhead and MIP, just imagine all the resistors you’ll need…

10. Thanks docmeister, dpurcell thanked for this post

Re: How to connect all of the panels to the computer?

Hello jkcombs,
    Good information.
    The Front Panel Connectors is also good.
    Each switch and LED on the front panel has a connector attached to it that must be connected to the appropriate pins on the motherboard.