Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Thanks all so much for your replys , I will do some shaves & post some pics soon , One more thing just about the spped of the router is fast or slow better, would it help to try & cool the bit as it shaves the paint cheers all!!

300+ Forum Addict

yes, thanks everyone for the terrific info. I will post some pics when I get respectable results, so far less than optimal.

BuddyM

Ok here we Go, Here is a few pics of my first cut/shave , I do need to get a finer bit but I am quite happy with this , must admit there is a great sense of a achivement when it all comes together , I started building my CNC machine around 6 months ago & have learnt so much since, Thanks again for all the help & advise of all here, Cheers !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Well done. I know exactly what you are going through, having designed and built my own CNC. You can't beat it !! The finer bit will help a lot, as I was using exactly the same bit you are using at the start. One thing that had me fooled to begin with was engraving first, then cutting out the outer edge. I then put a rail with a right angle onto the top table ( I also put a 20 mm. MDF piece on top of the CNC table to save it from holes ! ) so that you can then cut out the whole panel, then sand and paint it and then return it to the same place to do the engraving. Makes things a lot easier and neater.
    Regards....................Brian W.

6. Thanks autocadplease thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

fantastic looking panel, great job! What type of procedure do you use to paint them?

BuddyM

Funny you ask, The paint is just a spay primer that they sell just down the road from me ,only $2.50 AU a can from a car shop, I really dont know how much diffrent it is from the real boeing 737 color, Dont think it is to far off.(other primers i have seen seem to light) That panel in the pics was my first, & i gave it 3 coats before engraving also did leave for about 24hrs to dry not real sure if thats nessasary though, thanks again to all for the tips , I will now start to crack on with the pit, Thats been sitting dormant for the last few months Check out the pics http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/m...3830&protype=1 Cheers guys!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

MMMM not really sure how i would build my own CNC but was wanting to make some panels but also not sure on what the panel is made out of.... is it a metal sheet? also could i buy a CNC or take it some where to get my panels made?

300+ Forum Addict

I built my machine from scratch, using a 14-page plan set I bought off ebay. It wasn't difficult, and it is very accurate. I built it just to cut sim parts, but have found several other uses.

My machine uses friction bearings and 20 tpi screws, so it runs very slowly which is a problem for cutting plastic. I am building a new one from a kit right now, and it has real linear bearings and real drive screws. It will run much faster, so plastic wont be as much of a problem.

there are lot's of folks here that might cut panels for ya, all of mine are plastic. When I get the new machine running and learn how to engrave the lettering and legends properly I would be happy to make a few for folks....

Buddy

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Buddym View Post
    I built my machine from scratch, using a 14-page plan set I bought off ebay. It wasn't difficult, and it is very accurate. I built it just to cut sim parts, but have found several other uses.

My machine uses friction bearings and 20 tpi screws, so it runs very slowly which is a problem for cutting plastic. I am building a new one from a kit right now, and it has real linear bearings and real drive screws. It will run much faster, so plastic wont be as much of a problem.

there are lot's of folks here that might cut panels for ya, all of mine are plastic. When I get the new machine running and learn how to engrave the lettering and legends properly I would be happy to make a few for folks....

Buddy
    NICE thanks!!!!! Also i found another need for a CNC to helps make my Circuit boards

NICE thanks.... I also noticed that i could also use one to make my circuit boards

Ok so I know now which type of bits to use for engraving. (nice Thankyou) My next question is which is the best bit to use for cutting out the holes for buttons, switches,Displays, etc etc? & whats the process for holes ,should or can you cut with one pass or 2/3??? If anyone interested this is the site i followed for my CNC build http://buildyourcnc.com/latest.aspx Thanks all .. Riche

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast