Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Why external guages?

Hello Everyone,
    admitidly I am new around here with just a few months of experience with different things, but it seems I am missing a major concept that I was hoping someone could explain to me.
    Why is it so important to have external guages as part of your setup? I am flying a A320 from Wilco and have just undocked the guages and moved them to different screens attached to my computer without any problems.
    So I am really curious as to why some people are spending a ton of money to buy external guages?
    Can someone please enlighten me as to what I am missing.
    Thanks,

Michal

Hi there,

there is no problem for the displays. The problem is that most of the addons (with the exception of 767 by level-d) do not have any access to the internal variables.
    This means that you cannot lineup hardware lights with the lights in the addon, you cannot drive 7-segments with values for the autopilot etc.
    In case of PSS, wilco airbus, you cannot build an hardware overhead panel and have the addon steer the lights of it. Inputs can be accomplished by the mouse macros in the latest fsuipc that generate the keyboard inputs if those exists. You cannot build a hardware FCU and drive the values from the addon either.
    The reason for all this is that the addon is keeping several values internal and is not providing and sdk to read them. Since these values are not accessible peter dowson cannot bring them out as fsuipc offsets either.
    So, using an addon like those above are not suitable for a cockpit buiilder. They are perfect for learning the functionality since they are mostly quite advanced.
    As stated above , there is one exception and that is level-d 767-300. This addon has provide an sdk and Niko kaan wrote software to fill fsuipc offsets with the values of the addon. Then he moved on and now made his latest version which needs opencockpits hardware and a simple script and he handles all functionality.
    To my knowledge its the only addon which provides this.
    There used to exist also something for pmdg737 but seems to be out of the market for the moment

Greetz Peter
    FS9+PM+AST+opencockpits

25+ Posting Member

Hello Peter,
    thanks very much for the reply. This is exactly what I seem to have been missing and now I understand. Up until now, I have not yet completed any hardware to interface with my cockpit, so I guess I have not run into this problem.
    Thanks again for the explanation and at least now I can see why some people are justifying buying such external guages.

Michal

500+ This must be a daytime job JBaymore's Avatar

There is also the issue of what is called "distributed computing". Spreading the processor load over multiple processors. That allows the use of "lesser" machines on each station. Put everything you might need to run on one machine, and you;ll likely need a Cray.

best,

................john
    http://www.elliesystems.com/wForums/uploads/48/EllieBetaTestTeamBanner.jpg

25+ Posting Member

Unhappy Seperate gauges

I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed some light for me. I have just downloaded a set of gauges (from Flightdecksoft.com) that I will use on a separate screen, and I have downloaded the program to run it (FSUIPC4) but I can't get it to run on FSX. What am I doing wrong???

Please any info would we appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

You are entering a bit of a complicated side to the hobby.

First of all, how are you setting this all up on the machines? Have you set up the network correctly so that the multiple computers are all "seeing" each other on the network/workgroup and have the permissions set so that folders are acessible to the necessary machines? All of that is the absolute first step with using these kinds of external gauges for simpit use.

For detailed questions about FSUIPC, Pete Dowson has a fantastic support board, and that is the place to go to find the "Horse's Mouth" (sorry for the turn of phrase, Pete ) to get the most accurate info. But make sure that you have read the FSUIPC manual first before asking basic questions there.

best,

..................john

7. Thanks docmeister thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Unhappy Gauges

Hi John

Thanks for the info. I really did think it would be a simple process. I have 1 computer with dual monitors, my main for the view and the other for my gauges. I was reading some info about the gauges site and the program to run them and I thought I had put the files in the right place but I guess I didn't. Is putting external gauge software into FSX a difficult process and if it is where is the best place to learn about it??

Cheers again

Chris

Aha... a little different approach.

I don't know those particular gauges so I am guessing here.

Likely you need to install the gauges as stand alone programs. They will show on your programs menu.

You need to install FSUIPC so that it is a "module" within the sim.

You need to set up your desktop / graphics card so that you have the view spread across your two monitors.

You need to start FSX in windowed mode and put it on one monitor.

You need to start the gauge program and put it on the other monitor.

Hopefully, when you exit each program it will remember the screen coordinates so that when you start it again it will come up in th place you left it.

You'll get the best advice from someone else who does this this way. I don't.

best,

.................john

75+ Posting Member

Hmmm.....

This is an interesting thread. So...if i understand correctly, I cannot simply connect in an Opencockpits 7 segment display to show the speed, heading and alt, and control it through my home made MCP panel with FSUIPC mousetrapping? But surely the displays are simply repeating those figures on another format? And the computer is 'blind' to whether or not that is being done.

I'm building a cockpit based on a Wilco Airbus and I'm going to be completely stuffed it this will not work.

Nigel.
    I can't see the light but I think I found the tunnel...
    www.shamrock075.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by NigelD View Post
    This is an interesting thread. So...if i understand correctly, I cannot simply connect in an Opencockpits 7 segment display to show the speed, heading and alt, and control it through my home made MCP panel with FSUIPC mousetrapping? But surely the displays are simply repeating those figures on another format? And the computer is 'blind' to whether or not that is being done.

I'm building a cockpit based on a Wilco Airbus and I'm going to be completely stuffed it this will not work.

Nigel.
    Nigel,

I don't really understand your question, sorry. I think you might be comparing apples to grapefruit here.

Ther are two general approaches to setting up a cockpit. One is to use only ONE sim,....the main one, and drive everything from that, using normal "in-the-main-fs200?-sim" gauges located in normal aircraft panels. These are then undocked onto multiple monitors located (usually) behind cutouts in the physical simpit.

The other is to use the main sim to drive the flight dynamics and the outside scenery, and use stand-alone gauges and hardware to duplicate th various aircraft systems. These stand-alone gauges are USUALLY run on a series of networked computers that are hooked to the main flight sim computer and interfaced via either a combination of FSUIPC and WideFS, or in the case of FSX, Simconnect OR FSUIPC and WideFS.

If the variables that you are trying to use on an external gauge are modeled "in-sim" by Microsoft, then an external gauge can "read" them via WideFS. However if the function you are looking for is NOT modeled by default (like say brake pressure, for example) then some OTHER program mus be creating that value based on data that it can get from the normal default sim. (Many of the complex aircraft systems in Project Magenta are a good example of this.)

As far as your Opencockpits display, that likely is a hardware driven display gauge that looks at a default viariable (like altitude, for example) and the hardware converts that digital data into a visible display. No problem.

SOme stuff is not "passed on" from the internal working of the sim to external gauges. A good example of this might be the details of the status of the ND Magenta Line in the in-sim display of the ND from say the PMDG cockpit panel displays. That data is not sent "outside" the internal aircraft panels. So if you can rig up a key to change the internal ND to a different mode that is not modeled by default in MS's sim, the external gauges will not know anything about it.

I hope this is clearer than mud.

best,

.................john

12. Thanks wannabeaflyer, NigelD thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast