Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Projection Screen

Hello guys. I'm currently working to try and encorporate a projection screen into my work-in-progress home cockpit, and I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a good projector.

First off, I'm looking for something for a captain's side cockpit, so it might not have to project as big an image as a dual-seater.

The room I plan to use it in can be made somewhat dark, however it does have shades that can't fully block outside light, so it might nmot be the darkest room arround. If you want to get an idea, just go into a room with a window, close the shade as best you can and turn off all the lights during the daytime for a minute. That's about as dark as it'll get.

Third, I'm looking for something relativeley inexpensive. I'm on a bit of a budget, so I want to get a good contrast of quality and afordability.

And finally, if you could point me out to a good screen to go along with the projector. Less-expensive would be nice.

Thanks!

25+ Posting Member

Hi
    What I did for a screen was buy a 4X8 hardboard from HD for about 9 bucks, two thickness and I used the thin one. One side is smooth and one is rough I used the smooth side. color is brown.

For the Paint I went to Lowes and had them mix something close to great value winter mist. Use lowes valspar interior flat enamel base, number is 210159.
    The mix is for one gallon is 104-2, 109-2 , 102-8. I covered the hardboard with two coats of valspar high hide primer and then one coat of paint. You may be able to get buy with one quart but the mix would have to be cut down. This is a easy and cheap method and works very good.
    percy.
    I just noticed you are in Switzerland, I guess the trip over would add a little to the expense.

Just a tip Percy change your color to a Battleship type grey instead itll give you far cleaner colors and deeper blacks less glare in sky. JMO

Tim

25+ Posting Member

I will keep that in mind next time I paint my screen, this paint mix I read about on a forum that deals with DIY screens..The color is flat so I do not notice any glare, thanks for the Tip.

percy

I've successfully used blackout cloth for a projection screen.

I had no idea what blackout cloth was before I tried it as a screen. Here's what I discovered...
    Blackout cloth is something to make curtains from to block out the light from a window. It's called blackout, but it's smooth and white. You can buy it from a fabric store.

I forgot how much it costs, which means it must have been inexpensive.
    Matt Thomas, CFII
    Kansas City

6. Thanks mlscotti thanked for this post

I love all of your ideas. I currently have built a cheep wood frame suspended from the ceiling. one flat screen approximately 5'X6' and two side screens angled approximately 45 degrees. For my screen i used white sheets from walmart. I love the blackout screen idea if i can get that. I would however like to get grey pvc sheets and join them together to make a continuous curve. problem #1 bulding the frame for the curved screen. Problem #2 how do i make it so i can get behind it, because my pit is im my garage and i have stuff stored behind it. #3 the cost. I currently have 1 project but it's a long through projector and it's only 1024X768 anyone have a recommendation on a better image shorter through projector thats not too expensive?

Short-throw lenses for projectors tend to be pretty expensive, so I think a lot of guys use folded optics to shorten the throw distance. They set up a first-surface mirror to bounce the image onto a screen. This can cut your throw distance in about half.

I've experimented with folded optics too. Make sure you buy a first-surface, also called front-surface mirror. Also, make your projector mount, mirror mount and screen adjustable, so you can move them around to fine-tune the image.
    Matt Thomas, CFII
    Kansas City

Hi,

The same brown board (thin and flexible) Percy is referring to is also available with a plastic white layer on one side (at least in NL). This is what I use.
    It's cheap: I paid something like 10,- Euro for a board sized 1m22 x 2m44
    and it's easy to handle (flexible and thin) and also relatively light-weight.

There is a small downside (obviously): on a closer look you will notice a reflection of the projector lamp. In practice I don't experience this as a real showstopper however.

At the moment I have 3 boards (height 1m22, width 2m) sitting in an 45 degree angle to each other.

Works for me!!!

Cheers,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    Hi,

At the moment I have 3 boards (height 1m22, width 2m) sitting in an 45 degree angle to each other.
    So you're using 3 projectors? That's awesome! Do you have pictures of this posted anywhere?
    Matt Thomas, CFII
    Kansas City

Hi Matt,

No, I don't. Simply haven't had the time and the right camera yet.
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a new mobile phone with a camera in it (yes,
    you can also make phonecalls with it )
    I'll see if I can do something with it.

Cheers,

Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast