Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

First try at X-Plane

Well X-Plane finnaly arrived and I was so excited to fly. I tried it out, and found out that most planes did not work, and physics seemed very poor as if flying an RC plane. I was able to make a bunch of barrel rolls so fast in an A340! Im pretty sure there must be something wrong that im doing.

I really want to like it but its just diffrent from what im used to in FS9 where the planes will feel heavy. Can this be due to the bad addons? Or are there realism settings somewhere in X-Plane which I cant find?

Also the panels will not stretch to my widescreen panel as FS does This is really a bummer as the panels are in the middle of the screen and are very blurry :'(

Another thing is that when in flight, if I just tap the joystick, the whole plane pitches up or down EXTREMELY fast. Im using the X52 system and its just horrible feeling in the planes. I tried those linearity and null zone, but it all feels too sensitive.

And one other thing, I cant beleive there is no scenery at ANY airport but the one included in the demo which was really deceiving and did not like how I got tricked.

Im not posting this to complain, but to show my experience and mabey some of you out there that truly love X-Plane may help me out on some good tips on helping me enjoy this more.

300+ Forum Addict Anderson/SBSP's Avatar

I understand you, i have xplane 9.20 and is dificult to use a new plataform.

XP need more investiment in addon with quality. And for God!!! We have left the DVD-Rom in drive to use, this is terrible!!!

But, with time... I hope!!! hehehe

Se some pictures of my flights:
    http://www.aeroboteco.com/forum/index.php?topic=2549.0
    http://www.aeroboteco.com/forum/index.php?topic=2536.0
    http://www.aeroboteco.com/forum/index.php?topic=2538.0

My videos using the XP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8Pri7njnI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfp74j23Oo

Xplane is....different....challenging

Common knowledge at the .org site is that while Austin made a great simulator engine, his A/C were lacking. But it takes a good sim pilot to tell that, so good on you!

IMHO As with MSFS, the 3rd party A/C are much better. Although I have only purchased one A/C ever, I find the freeones satisfactory. (Ouch stop throwing crap at me Proud PMDG Drivers, DF fans, and Aerosft heads)

As with FS, if the A/C is correct, and you can't get it feeling right by the linear and null settings, try the uhh....I think it is called the Control Surface Compensator or something....it forces control surface deflection, so one can get a prevoiusly "unflyable" A/C controllable. (usually this is done with a self designed A/C to test it out. This setting is either in the Joystick settings page, or in your XP dir under "Plane Maker" .

I like XP but have run into a minor setback, as I planned on networking some of my 15+ surplus computers (all PIII 300-550mhz) to make four different simpits. My research has shown, that every CPU in the net must meet the min. req.s for xplane, unlike FS where they would just slowdown the frame rate, in my experience. So these throw aways wont facilitate this.

Great pics and videos Anderson, makes me want to fly so badly xD What adddons are those?

And I do hate the thought of leaving the DVD in there, especially a Dual Layer one xD

Ak49er, When you mean the A/C on MSFS are better, do you mean in functionality or dynamics? I do miss those great paywares.

And for the second thing you said, did you mean XP? Not FS? haha, sounds like that would fit with XP. Ill check that out, thanks!
    I did get it feeling better by taking the realism setting on the controlers down all the way. It says it will make it FEEL better or something like that.

And sorry to hear you cant do your cockpit now thats quite an annoyance. Do you have a single working sim right now? With which sim if you do have one.

I really want to get XP working for me correctly, but its just not looking too good at this point. Id hate to return to FS and say XP wasnt that good

Ill continue looking into this.

EDIT: erased previous post

Problem solved All needed now is panels to work with widescreens for now until I get the displays for my cockpit.

Ok just to let you know Serge have been using XPlane for years and have flown the actual A340 sim at Cyvr many times and with the settings properly setup the A/c flies as realistically as the actual 15 million dollar sim. As far as graphics I have the scenery addon Washington east and west for example and it is breathtakingly real. Overall the quality far exceeds FS9 or FSX for flyability and excellent with good addons. You need to spend abit really setting up your flight settings its not like FS9 where the sre setup already, thee you tweek yourself.JMO

Tim

Serge, I meant that the default A/C in both platforms are lacking, but Xp's default A/C are...er...really nice to look at, (I'm loathe to criticize as I can't reven reproduce what I am commenting on)
    Having said that I offer some advice.

First, I'm not sure if my installation is correct. I have a directory If I right click on sart>explore>c:>Xplane, I can see all directories (but not airfoil maker.exe, or planemaker.exe.

I aslo have an xplane directory on my desktop, this is where airfoilmaker, and plane maker are located, this is the directory to install A/C into. Make sure the A/C is at least for 8.3 if you have v9.22. (I hitnk that is the rule of thumb for this instance) but some older version a/c will work and some won't. The insatll is as easy as it is for FS, some plug-ins auto install, ans some must be unzipped and installed into your plug ins folder.

Also, back up your preferences folder and delete the original after every major change to prevent hiccups. This is similar to holding Control+Shift down at startup of FS to rewrite .ini file.

I have not had undesirable effects NOT doing this,but Ihave seen it recommended.

Yes Serge I have one single working pit, and the rest are in construction. although this XP debacle is causing me to rethink some plans.

P.S. If you have installed the files correctly, you must choose the .acf file to load that A/C.
    Last edited by ak49er; 04-23-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Post Script

Quote Originally Posted by warvet View Post
    Ok just to let you know Serge have been using XPlane for years and have flown the actual A340 sim at Cyvr many times and with the settings properly setup the A/c flies as realistically as the actual 15 million dollar sim. As far as graphics I have the scenery addon Washington east and west for example and it is breathtakingly real. Overall the quality far exceeds FS9 or FSX for flyability and excellent with good addons. You need to spend abit really setting up your flight settings its not like FS9 where the sre setup already, thee you tweek yourself.JMO

Yea, ive been doing that for quite abit now, but it feels like im flying a peice of paper. Any recommendations on settings for the controls?
    btw do you use X-Plane for your simulator?

Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by ak49er View Post
    Serge, I meant that the default A/C in both platforms are lacking, but Xp's default A/C are...er...really nice to look at, (I'm loathe to criticize as I can't reven reproduce what I am commenting on)
    Having said that I offer some advice.

First, I'm not sure if my installation is correct. I have a directory If I right click on sart>explore>c:>Xplane, I can see all directories (but not airfoil maker.exe, or planemaker.exe.

I aslo have an xplane directory on my desktop, this is where airfoilmaker, and plane maker are located, this is the directory to install A/C into. Make sure the A/C is at least for 8.3 if you have v9.22. (I hitnk that is the rule of thumb for this instance) but some older version a/c will work and some won't. The insatll is as easy as it is for FS, some plug-ins auto install, ans some must be unzipped and installed into your plug ins folder.

Also, back up your preferences folder and delete the original after every major change to prevent hiccups. This is similar to holding Control+Shift down at startup of FS to rewrite .ini file.

I have not had undesirable effects NOT doing this,but Ihave seen it recommended.

Yes Serge I have one single working pit, and the rest are in construction. although this XP debacle is causing me to rethink some plans.

P.S. If you have installed the files correctly, you must choose the .acf file to load that A/C.
    I thought it was that aswell, but I later found out that it was the SHADAR option. I switched that off and they all worked =D

So now, all I really need is a good widescreen panel or a way to make it widescreen, and get the dam feel of the plane correct, its impossible to fly.

300+ Forum Addict Anderson/SBSP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SergeA340 View Post
    Great pics and videos Anderson, makes me want to fly so badly xD What adddons are those?

And I do hate the thought of leaving the DVD in there, especially a Dual Layer one xD
    Thanks!!! I use a 767 from:
    http://forums.x-plane.org

And a GA planes from:
    http://www.c74.net/xplane/_xpo_coop.html

10. Thanks magicaldr thanked for this post