Thread: Linux question?

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Linux question?

Hi,

I'm planning to download linux on a Windows Vista computer, then transfer the downloaded files to another old computer and install it on the old computer.

If I simply download linux on my Vista, will it affect my operating system or computer in any way? In short, does linux install itself once I download it? If so, is there any way to prevent that?

And what are some good websites to download linux from?

The Linux download does not install if you download it. You have to initiate the install manually if you want it to.

See if you can download Linux as an ISO file, burn the ISO to a CD / DVD and then install Linux from that CD / DVD on the other computer.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | C# Avionics | CNC)

500+ This must be a daytime job

This link

http://distrowatch.com/ and this link

http://www.linux.com/welcome/

has info on all the different distibutions out there. I have used Red Hat/Fedora, Slackware, CentOS, Mandrake, and Ubuntu. Ubuntu is enjoying it's time in the sun right now, and installs very cleanly. What are you going to use it for? Sometimes one distro is better than another for certain apps.... out-of-the-box Red Hat/Fedora is suited to server environments better than Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is just as or more than capable on the desktop.

BuddyM

10+ Posting Member

Post Re: Linux question?

Stella,
    Just downloading Linux will not affect your computer at all, although to make the install disk you will need burning software that is able to burn a iso. The software I use is Infra Recorder, this is free to use. Just click on the "Write Image" button and select your file and go to burn your distro to cd rom.
    As for distros go, for a beginner I would recommend Ubuntu, it installs easily on most hardware and is fairly close to windows as far as look and feel are concerned. I have been using Linux of some kind for the last 10 years and Ubuntu is my OS of choice
    To download Ubuntu iso just follow the prompts (this is the desktop version).
    To read about Ubuntu as you are downloading...
    Once you have got your cd burned with the shiny new Ubuntu image, you need to configure the BIOS in your target machine to boot from cdrom drive, save your changes and stick in the cdrom. After that all you have to do is watch it all install and answer a couple of configuration questions.
    I would recommend that you follow pretty much the standard install so you can get it all running easily, oh yeah, most importantly... HAVE FUN

Happy Linuxing,
    Dave...

Linux question?

Hi Everybody

I am the user of Window XP and Fedora 2 Linux in the same pc. Recently I format the C drive and reinstall Win XP. In the past when I turn my pc on, I will have a screen from Fedora Linux saying I can choose Linux or WINDOWS. But after I installed Windows, the list of choosing the OS is gone. I would like to know how can I have the restore the OS list back.

Re: Linux question?

stifenhowk,

Windows doesn't play very nicely with other operating systems; when you install it it will overwrite the master boot record and point it at its own boot loader instead of Grub. You should be able to recover your Fedora installation using the repair/recovery mode of the original install medium (provided you haven't accidentalyl formatted your Linux partition)

-Haagensen