Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

What monitor sizes for B737-800 mip?

I'm on the planning stage of building my B737-800 home cockpit and need to know what LCD sizes are you guys using for the displays on your 737 mips? 19"?

Thanks for any help...
    Regards,

Efrain "E" Ruiz (HondaCop)
    LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org

I have the Engravity desktop panels and I use 18,5" for the captain and F/O side but these have to be lowered through the base of the panel. Engravity has the base prepared for that purpose. I had to dismantle the monitors and McGuiver some brackets to make it fit.

The center unit has been a problem. You have to choose if you use real backup instruments, the only choice is a 10" monitor. But these are a little too small and hard to get. Some say a 12" would be the solution but this covers the holes of the backup instruments partly. My choice has been to display the 2 lower backup instruments in the software and use a 14,1" widescreen monitor. Fits exactly. The problem is that 14,1" widescreen is also hard to trace as a monitor but they have been used in notebooks very often. So I bought a replacement 14,1" widescreen panel (from a notebook repair shop) and a complete 15,6" widescreen monitor with the same resolution. I replaced the 15,6" panel for the 14,1" et voila, that worked!

Some people use a 17" on its side that sinks through the table but that is not an option with the Engravity deskop panels. Besides, that would rule out the use of a monitor in the CDU bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
    I have the Engravity desktop panels and I use 18,5" for the captain and F/O side but these have to be lowered through the base of the panel. Engravity has the base prepared for that purpose. I had to dismantle the monitors and McGuiver some brackets to make it fit.

The center unit has been a problem. You have to choose if you use real backup instruments, the only choice is a 10" monitor. But these are a little too small and hard to get. Some say a 12" would be the solution but this covers the holes of the backup instruments partly. My choice has been to display the 2 lower backup instruments in the software and use a 14,1" widescreen monitor. Fits exactly. The problem is that 14,1" widescreen is also hard to trace as a monitor but they have been used in notebooks very often. So I bought a replacement 14,1" widescreen panel (from a notebook repair shop) and a complete 15,6" widescreen monitor with the same resolution. I replaced the 15,6" panel for the 14,1" et voila, that worked!

Some people use a 17" on its side that sinks through the table but that is not an option with the Engravity deskop panels. Besides, that would rule out the use of a monitor in the CDU bay.
    Hi Goldmember...

Ok, are the 18.5" LCD widescreens or regular 4:3 monitors?
    Regards,

Goldmember,

Since I will MOST LIKELY go with the FlyEngravity set of MIPs, I will most likely run into the same LCD issues as you. So, I should buy a 18.5" widescreen LCD and perhaps try and find a 12" for the center EICAS display? Just want to make sure before I start ordering parts.
    Regards,

5. Thanks claushansen thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job

you will need wide screens.

19 inch will work too if the 18inch is hard to source.

some people use 17 inch wide. These dont go from bezel to bezel, but since the real displays dont display from bezel to bezel either this shouldnt be a problem. You just need to tape of the bezel with black tape otherwise the aluminium frame of the panel will show.
    I think Galliegriek on this forum uses 17 inch widescreens with his engravity full size setup.

I prefer the 18 inch or 19 inch wide though.

I use 19 inch wide on my engravity setup.

12 inch for the upper eicas will be too big when you use hardware standby instruments.

I use a 10 inch. This means you can go to full width, but you cant display to full hight. Not too big of a problem.

I can post a picture to show how it looks on my setup.

Stef

www.boeing737ng.com

The 18,5" are ACER V193HQ widescreen monitors. EUR 96 each here in NL. I'm not sure about the bare panel size and whether you have a millimeter here or there when you buy another brand. The acer fits just barely (it covers the lowest annunciators half but you can put the leds in it). If you go for a smaller monitor, it will not be wide enough.

Like Stef explains, a 12" is too big to put real standby instruments and too small to have the backup instruments simulated. So 10" if you go for real standby instruments and 14,1" like I described if you want to simulate. Being Dutch, hence thrifty, I go for the simultated instruments
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

75+ Posting Member

Hi,
    A good source for LCD monitors of all sizes, is Earth LCD just google it and you will find it. Not sure on how they compare but i know you can get the ones around 10" for the lower EICAS as well. Not sure how they compare with prices though. But never the less still worth investigating.
    Cheers from Oz and Happy Easter
    Trevor Wimmer

Thanks for the help, guys! Now I have a better understanding of what monitor to get. For now, since I will be SLOWLY building my cockpit, I will just go ahead and get me a pair of 19" widescreen monitors, which will be used for the PFDs and NDs... Later on, I will get the 10" monitors for the EICAS.

Thanks again!
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by dnoize View Post
    I use a 10 inch. This means you can go to full width, but you cant display to full hight. Not too big of a problem.
    Hi Stef,

Ok, I found a couple of 10.4" LCD monitors online and I would like to know if these can be used for the upper and lower eicas displays. Since you said the 10" can't display full height, I need to know if the extra .4" would make a difference. I have asked the guy who is selling them, to tell me what are the width and height measurements of the LCDs, so as soon as I get that info, I will let you know so you can measure it on your MIP and tell me if it would work correctly.
    Regards,

If you still mean to go for the Engravity desktop, bear in mind that 18.5" monitors barely fit. Look how they cover the annunciators on the back. I'll be able to squeeze the LED's in but if you take a 19" monitor, it might just be too big. You cannot lower the monitors through the desk due to the construction of the panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Arjen
    -----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast