2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

WidevieW Approach to Heathrow

...via the BNN 4A arrival. Landing 27L.

Last edited by Michael Carter; 04-11-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: This is the original version of the video
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

150+ Forum Groupie

Smile Wideview & FSX

Hi Micheal Hope you dont mind my asking question related to wideview. i am building a higher spec PC to try to run FSX and having tried wideview way way back i thought i'd give it another go mainly after seeing your progress. Thing i have to ask is regarding FSX, do you need a seperate copy of FSX on each PC running wideview, and if so does that mean i'll have to have at least 3 high spec PC to run this setup.. read a lot about triple head to go but must be missing the point somewhere because whereas wideview seems to give independant but linked views i.e LHS Middle & RHS tripple-head seems to stretch one view wide across 3 Monitors ... how does this compare for say looking across at a land feature if the pilot looks to his left or right over the wing views, sorry if this seems a silly question or if it's been asked before could anyone point me to the relevant posts Cheers ....Very Nice work by the way

Airbus

Waanabe,
    I have been using Wideview for years as well as TH2Go first off yees you have to have the FSX installed in each WV machine. This means that all addons etc as well. Secondly the FSX machines should relatively tthe same specs to ensure they have power to run the programs properly otherwise they could draw the scenery at different rates and it will appear out of sync, you could counter this by using default A/C views in your other screens and then even use a lesser powredc cpu to run it this definitely can save you $$ on CPUS. TH2Go simply stretches the front image to appear to give a wide front view and if you want any side views you must undock individual views and place them on other connected monitors, this will draw on rame rate if your CPU is not powerful enough. To get best side view and wing views etc use WV but unfortunaely it does require a much more elaborate setup. Hope this helped Mate.

Tim

TH2G is only going to stretch your forward view out in front of you. I guess you can stretch it as wide as you want with the zoom feature. But, as I stated in another post, I've seen these views stretched so much that the wings start coming into view and the look is very distorted. Similar to a fish-eye lens.

Wideview gives you independant control over what you view on each monitor and can be customized through the .config file. You can also play around with the view setup using the WidevieW Manager and the keyboard.

I would think that like FS9, you will still need a copy of FSX on each machine, and any scenery you wish to use will also have to be loaded onto each machine.

The good news is that you can use the default C-172 for the client aircraft which allows FS(X) to run a bit better than say the DF727 or a PMDG aircraft if you had to run those on a client.

My old dog of a computer I use for experimenting and panel building in the shop is running WV surprizingly well. The settings are turned down just a bit from the two better computers, but it has surprized me with its performance. It's only a 1.3Ghz Athlon processor using an ATI 9800 Pro AGP card. It's nearly six years old!

The newer computer with a 2.0 Ghz Celeron processor, 2GB of ram, and a 1GB on-card memory ATI 2400HD card is not fairing as well running two views. It slows considerably as you may have noticed when pulling up to the stand. It was like a slide show out the two quarter views. It runs one view just as well as the server computer, but the server is tied up running the forward view, instrument panel, and engine stack.

I need another two computers to complete this setup. One to relieve the computer running two views and another for the right 90 view.

Quite honestly I'd be guessing at what computer specs you'd need to run WidevieW on an FSX system. It's much too processor intensive for the three systems I have running FS9, but two of the three computers I have are way above what was available when FS9 was released so they run pretty well (if I'm not running two views on the one system).

The views in WidevieW are not linked. You make it look that way by the views you select to display. Only the systems are linked via the network.
    You can have an outside forward view and two aft views if that's what you wanted. Great if your flying a KC-135 and you happen to be the Boomer!

TH2G is one outside view stretched across three monitors. Your computer never knows this. The TH2G makes it so. If you adjust the zoom using the TH2G you are just wrapping (warping?) the view from the sides around to the front. It's very distorted. There is no distortion using WidevieW, it's just a PITA to set up, but once it is, the view is fantastic.

I saw parts of London on this video I had never seen from an airliner before using published procedures because you can't see left or right in a turn unless you change views. I don't really have the time for that during an approach so I just had to use what was in front of me before WidevieW.

If you want the most from WidevieW, use one computer for each view. I'm stretching the very limits of one computer using two views, but it'll have to do until I can afford another system to relieve the other computer.
    Boeing Skunk Works

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up Wideview & FSX

Hi Guys just to say big thank you for the info, i have FS2002 - 2004 and Have ahd FSX still in the Box since it Came out ..Like many got disconcerted when i realised my PC just was not up to it, so effectively its been sitting on the shelf, i had the opertunity and jumped at it to buy another new copy of FSX and Accel as a Combo from PC world and kicking my slef now cos i really need at least three.. but will keep my eye out.. Finally getting my high spec'ish PC built ( DIY ) and now it seems i am gonna have to look at bumping up the Specs of my other 2 slave machines ( Big Big Bucks Bummer ) in saying that, i knew this was not a cheap hobby so what the heck computer fairs here i come will be Downloading Wideview for FSX and Try to get back to where i was in the past with this setup 3 LCD 20" Monitors and 3 Pc's. it will initially be just to get things up and going before i add it to my Motion Cockp[it ( Still Work in progress Long Long Progress ) but am getting there . So Once again guys thanks for thr feedback it really is all appreciated Cheers

Airbus

I think I like Michael's explanation 10X better than mine. Definitely very well defined.

Regards
    Tim

This is the original video

This is the original version of the video.
    Boeing Skunk Works