Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

737 MCP. A possible purchase....

He he I'm gettin my taxes back hopefully in the next couple of weeks and I think I've decided what I want to buy. I am over at the PC Aviator website looking at the GoFlight B737 MCP Pro. Now I know it comes with software and USB cable. I was wondering, how would I go about interfacing this with the following aircrafts:

FeelThere 737-500
    PMDG 737 (All versions)

Is the programing done within the software that is included with the MCP or is it done through FSUIPC?

I just want to make sure that I got all of my i's dotted and my t's crossed before I go and put down $499 which was supposed to be used to buy a Playstation 3.

10+ Posting Member

Re: 737 MCP. A possible purchase....

Quote Originally Posted by visualchaosfx View Post
    He he I'm gettin my taxes back hopefully in the next couple of weeks and I think I've decided what I want to buy. I am over at the PC Aviator website looking at the GoFlight B737 MCP Pro. Now I know it comes with software and USB cable. I was wondering, how would I go about interfacing this with the following aircrafts:

FeelThere 737-500
    PMDG 737 (All versions)

Is the programing done within the software that is included with the MCP or is it done through FSUIPC?

I just want to make sure that I got all of my i's dotted and my t's crossed before I go and put down $499 which was supposed to be used to buy a Playstation 3.
    Hi just a word of warning the goflight mcp is a headache you will need to purchase project magenta software to interface it some aircraft it will work for but pmdg i found you needed that software why not try another company like opencockpits there mcp is a little cheaper than goflight you can pick one up for 288 eur and you dont need project magents and it works for most aircraft including level d 767 and pmdg aswell as the default aircraft

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi...

Open Cockpits is an excellent choice for an MCP, I know many builders that own the OC MCP and for the price it is very good value, and again I can confirm it is compatible with PMDG, because I have seen in for my own eyes. GoFlight are good maybe not for the professionalism and compatibility that you are looking for.

If you had 4 times the budget then consider CPflight and Engravity......

Good luck!,
    GA or the Highway!

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

I couldn't agree more! I had the GoFlight MCP and found it to be a pain. It worked most of time with PIC 737 but every now and then it would freeze up on me, usually just after receiving vectors from ATC! Returned it to GoFlight for a "fix" (which didn't work) and followed others instructions to "turn the heading knob slowly so that the unit can keep up with the input....". The frustration was so high I tossed the whole thing and started afresh with a CPFlight MCP. A lot more money but it is a thing of beauty. A better reproduction of the real MCP and it works flawlessly.

You can read more about my experience at http://boeing737flightsim.blogspot.com/Start in the archives and work forward....

Good luck,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by i007857 View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I had the GoFlight MCP and found it to be a pain. It worked most of time with PIC 737 but every now and then it would freeze up on me, usually just after receiving vectors from ATC! Returned it to GoFlight for a "fix" (which didn't work) and followed others instructions to "turn the heading knob slowly so that the unit can keep up with the input....". The frustration was so high I tossed the whole thing and started afresh with a CPFlight MCP. A lot more money but it is a thing of beauty. A better reproduction of the real MCP and it works flawlessly.

You can read more about my experience at http://boeing737flightsim.blogspot.com/Start in the archives and work forward....

Good luck,

Bill
    My GoFlight MCP has the "freeze" issue when I change altitude on it. This using the default 737. I have learned that spinning it slower vs faster has the same results. However, it use to freeze and end my flight. After I contacted support, it was recommended to not use the MCP with a usb hub.

I bought a 16' USB cable and ran the MCP directly to the back of the PC.

Now, while the unit will (and does, every flight) "freeze", it will come out of it after a few seconds and I can continue on with my flight.

Matt

Yeah, I tried this too. In fact I never had the MCP plugged into a hub... Bottom line for me is this - you buy the hardware so you don't need to click the tiny buttons of controls on the screen. If the hardware can't act as quickly as your mouse click, it's not worth buying. So I could have lived with the inconvenience, to me though the frustration was too great. The extra money spent on the CPFlight unit will be forgotten more quickly than the frustration of working with balky controls.

Hey quick question, is the CPFlight mcp back lit? Just curious.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt,

It sure is! Check out my build blog http://boeing737flightsim.blogspot.com/ and look for the post "All Lit Up"

Cheers,

Bill