Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

wannabeaflyer,

Thanks for the comments!

You should have no issues with the Hagstrom and open cockpits IO cards. I haven't used either of them, but I know the capabilities of the Hagstrom. Great cards. If I remember right the Opencockpit IO is pretty much the same. either can be used in my setup. I chose the Desktop Aviator cards because of the rotary encoders. The DA Model 2090 seemed to be very easy to setup. I'm sure there are other options out there.

As for the RXP GNS 530, I'm using the 2005 non-WAAS version (haven't upgraded yet), so I can't speak for the WAAS version if that is what you have, but I would imagine that it's the same setup. Of all the instruments I have put into my simpit, this was the easiest!

The RXP 530 has an ini file that allows you to set keyboard commands for all it's functions. In fact, it allows you to use any combo of keys which is good. For instance, I'm using CTRL+F13-F23 and SHIFT+F13-F23 etc. Those commands are not used for any FS commands so it's easy to deconflict.

You then map the commands in FSUIPC to the buttons. This was the hardest part, as my keyboard doesn't have F13 etc, so I couldn't use the FSUIPC built in keyboard command mapping page. I had to manually do it in the FSUIPC ini file. Not hard to do, and Pete Dawson's manual is excellent and walks you through it.

So, a rundown on how I did it:

1. Your buttons/encoders etc connect to an interface card (Hagstrom, OC, whatever).
    2. Your interface card connects to the computer (USB, serial, gameport, whatever).
    3. Your interface may or may not require software, but will show up as a game controller in Windows, or as a conroller in it's specific software.
    4. At this point, start FS, go into FSUIPC, and using the options, set each button press or click to a key command.
    5. Finally, go into the RXP 530 ini file and set the commands to correspond to the key command.
    6. Your done!

There are posts in the the RXP forum that explain how to remove the border from the GNS so that only the map is visible.

There are posts in the RXP forum that explain how to edit the 530 ini file and it's location.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask me if you need anything else,

Cheers

Warren

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor AndyT's Avatar

Top quality work! Keep it up. You have inspiried many others by sharing your passion.
    God's in command, I'm just the Pilot.
    http://www.geocities.com/andytulenko/

150+ Forum Groupie

Thumbs up Standalone GPS Module

Hi Warren big big thanks for taking the time to answer my questions , you sir are a start thanks to seeing your Project i am now going to place an order for the Reality XP GPS Module.. i am at present putting the finishing touches to MY DIY Mini CNC router and the plan is to make my Panels and PCB on this machine, Am learnig as i go but your design will give me a focus point still have to work out getting my PCB designs to G code but have some great info and hopefully some time soon will be able to Post some picture of the router and the Radio Panels and something like your GPS unit... on behalf of all the wannamake one o those out there thanks you once more for showing the way ... i will finish this motion cockpit by hook or by crook and it will look all the better thanks to the modules. to say its goona be a hybrid is an understatement but hey thats the fun of it :-0

Update on Project

OK,

I have returned home temporarily. I am headed out on vacation with the family next week, but will be back the middle of June to finish this up.

I received the Front Panel while I was gone, and it fits perfect! I've also ordered the rub-on decal paper that I hope will work to label the buttons and knobs.

I hope to have updated pics by the third week of June. I plan to upload a video to Youtube as well.

Thanks to all for your emails and kind words.

Warren

Heli Builder

Great build!!

Tell me the GPS software is it a FSX/FS2004 gauge or a stand alone program?
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

Warren,
    You are a true master craftsman absolutely fantabulous job. Does the $580 include everything including the faceplate? Can it be hooked up to phidgets 16/16 Cards?
    Again my friend you out did yourself do you have any vids of it in operation id love to see it.
    Tim

300+ Forum Addict

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in this project, so I wanted to get some input... I am almost finished with the hardware portion of my GPS 500, the screen, front panel, buttons etc. I will post some pics in a few days.

At first I considered connecting it via the standard cards we all use like IOcards, Bodnar, etc. The past couple of days I have been thinking of using a connection method like USB or ethernet. While it would at about $40 to the cost of building the unit, it would make connecting it easier and more flexible, IMHO. A small software app would handle getting the button-presses from the GPS buttons and send the required keypresses to the GPS inside FS. This way the GPS could be connected to switch, hub, or any pc in the sim network that had FS or wideclient running. (I think)

My question is this: if you were going to build a GPS and had to pick a connection method, would you choose USB, ethernet, or even serial port, or would you use what you have already?

BuddyM

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Buddym View Post

My question is this: if you were going to build a GPS and had to pick a connection method, would you choose USB, ethernet, or even serial port, or would you use what you have already?
    My opinion is that USB to be used. Ethernet's complexity and cost are a dislike, Serial ports is probably the easiest but it is getting harder to get PC's with serial ports. Usb is not that hard nowadays and every PC comes out with many USB ports. And USB hubs easily extends it with more available plugs.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

I like your idea of using Ethernet... unfortunately, my software design skills are nil. I went with USB because of the ease of use, but I could definitely see the advantages with ethernet.

Looking forward to your pics!

Warren

The software I'm using is the RealityXP GNS 530 (pre-WAAS version). I'm using it with FS9, but I believe the new version, that is WAAS enabled is FSX compatible. I haven't tried my version under FSX.

I finally have the perfect machine that runs FS9 without issues under Win XP SP2. Everything works, and I actually get to "fly" instead of troubleshoot, so... I'm holding off upgrading my FS machine with Vista and FSX.

Warren

11. Thanks fweinrebe thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast