150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: To SOUTH AFRICAN builders - plzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    If you mean the size of the CNC.
    No LOL - i should have been more clear - i mean your cockpit design/spec...

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    No LOL - i should have been more clear - i mean your cockpit design/spec...
    The dimensions is a closely gaurded secret, even for me.

Since the PC-9M is a military plane, most of it detail is not public domain. I had to calculate the size based on a marketing picture and a known object's size.

My cockpit inside will be about 800mm wide. Each pedestal is 140mm wide. The main panel is 400mm high and about 700mm wide. It is slightly wider than the real one I think, but that was to fit it in with the ejection seat built.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    The dimensions is a closely gaurded secret, even for me.

Since the PC-9M is a military plane, most of it detail is not public domain. I had to calculate the size based on a marketing picture and a known object's size.

My cockpit inside will be about 800mm wide. Each pedestal is 140mm wide. The main panel is 400mm high and about 700mm wide. It is slightly wider than the real one I think, but that was to fit it in with the ejection seat built.
    AH but of course!! Not everyone is building a 737 LOL - well mine is more 737 than generic but caters for both!! Well ordered my boards today... will get them on Tuesday and i ordered another 2 ATMEGA8535 chips for the i/o control boards. SO that means i should effectively have 256 inputs - switches etc, 128 LED outputs, 32 analogue inputs - if i need them all LOL, and provision for (initially) 12 7seg displays. I am planning on another couple of boards but this will keep me WAY busy till next year sometime!! Including the fact i still need tons of LEDs, some components for a couple of the boards, switches and dials etc.

I had an idea for knobs i.e. Boeing styled ones - i took the spray nozzle of a deo can - one of the big nozzle - it is shapped like a knob - not completely round. Was thinking of molding one in resin or wax shape it a little to make it easier to turn if it was a nob and the mold a final positive from resin. Just an idea at the moment!

300+ Forum Addict

I had an idea for knobs i.e. Boeing styled ones - i took the spray nozzle of a deo can - one of the big nozzle - it is shapped like a knob - not completely round. Was thinking of molding one in resin or wax shape it a little to make it easier to turn if it was a nob and the mold a final positive from resin. Just an idea at the moment!
    Howzit Boet,

I cast my first transparent (for backlighting) knobs in clear epoxy yesterday.
    If you send me a postal address I'll gladly send you one or two to use as masters.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Last edited by capetonian; 10-29-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by capetonian View Post
    Howzit Boet,

I cast my first transparent (for backlighting) knobs in clear epoxy yesterday.
    If you send me a postal address I'll gladly send you one or two to use as masters.

Cheers,

Andrew
    AHHH dude!! Life saver!! Where did you buy the epoxy from? Builders Warehouse? Anyways - check you PMs i will send you my addy there. MANY thanks!! Hey if you need labels i.e. annunciator labels or normal panels I am busy getting that sorted by a company in centurion!

Heli Builder

AH but of course!! Not everyone is building a 737 LOL - well mine is more 737 than generic but caters for both!!
    LOL. I am more of a B777 guy. One day.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

150+ Forum Groupie

I like the B777 and strangely enough have been looking for one for FSX because i wanted to add one to my fleet in FSAirlines.net. But alas i could not find a good one so i left that.

Though my cockpit is laid out 737NG style it is purely due to familiarity and I know where to reach in an emergency or in a hurry!

300+ Forum Addict

AHHH dude!! Life saver!! Where did you buy the epoxy from? Builders Warehouse? Anyways - check you PMs i will send you my addy there. MANY thanks!! Hey if you need labels i.e. annunciator labels or normal panels I am busy getting that sorted by a company in centurion!
    Unfortunately I no longer enjoy permenant residence in the Rainbow Nation but have succumbed to the slightly safer life of The Netherlands, .. since 1987 I must add!

Jawelnofine, ... I picked up my resin at a place called polyservice in Amsterdam. I use their casting rubber and PU resin for scale model building and I decided to try and cast the knobs in clear resin, they pointed out their Epoxy resin to me, ... awesome stuff, as thin as water to pour and as clear as glass when cured. I have some knobs that came with my Symultory panel but they are a bit messy and in beige resin, no good for back lighting.

I decided to cast my own ones after cleaning up one of the above mentioned knobs. They look great and I just need to prime and paint one this coming weekend to see how it will look when a led is placed underneath.

I might cast a few extra ones and flopg them at cost price of the rubber and epoxy to cover my costs and help anyone else out there that wants transparent knobs.

I'll send you a few as an example, do you want transparent or beige?

Sorry for the bottom pic, this mik en druk is not the best when you're indoors and at short range.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by capetonian View Post
    Unfortunately I no longer enjoy permenant residence in the Rainbow Nation but have succumbed to the slightly safer life of The Netherlands, .. since 1987 I must add!
    Yeah i realised after checking your profile LOL to find some pics! How is it to get in there?

Quote Originally Posted by capetonian
    Jawelnofine, ... I picked up my resin at a place called polyservice in Amsterdam. I use their casting rubber and PU resin for scale model building and I decided to try and cast the knobs in clear resin, they pointed out their Epoxy resin to me, ... awesome stuff, as thin as water to pour and as clear as glass when cured. I have some knobs that came with my Symultory panel but they are a bit messy and in beige resin, no good for back lighting.
    I hope i can find something like that in SA without having to sell the other nut for this cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by capetonian
    I'll send you a few as an example, do you want transparent or beige?
    Transparent would be great so i can toy with the lighting before making more. You are a gentleman sir!! Thank you!

What electronics are you using? I am using FSBus. Hey i think Rob lives in the Netherlands - FSBus man. I thought it would be cheapest but you know what after all said and done perhaps only slightly!!! So we learn.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456