Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Good idea. Thanks Fritz. I shall look around for backlighting threads. Didn't really think of backlighting it but i guess it's an idea i could possibly use

Thanks again.

Smile SA Builders

Hi All,
    Also got bitten by the sim build bug. My sim is based on Kingair b200. I am using fsbus cdk and would like some feedback and help from other fsbus cdk users. I used car elect gauges for fuel gauges , Volt meters for load and DC voltage. Open cockpits gauges , washburn ect remote gauges. Throttle quad self made with gears and pots with mjoy 16 usb cards.

Main pc run fs and 3 monitors with matrox triple head togo adapter and 3 mon on second instruments pc. Also Fsuipc and fswide client.

Fsbus NG x 2 and Fsbus DIO64

I would be intersting to talk to fellow builder in SA especially in the gauteng region.

Regards

Andre

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Andre

I am just starting to do this lol

Tell me, where did you get your gears from for your throttle quad?

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by fweinrebe View Post
    From what I've read and tried myself is that clear Perspex does not illuminate the whole panel as you would think it would (refering to your fiber optics example). But to get it to illuminate, you have to sand the Perspex with a fine grain. The roughness will then spread the light a bit and also you have to seal the sides with white paint. You can then paint say black over the white paint (or whatever colour works for you).

Of course the sanded Perpex cannot be used for to top most layer.
    If you're interested in some of the optical theory behind this, the application brief "Light Guide Techniques Using LED Lamps" is interesting, if somewhat overwhelming. You can download a pdf here: http://www.avagotech.com/docs/5988-7057EN

5. Thanks fweinrebe, shearder thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Mike

Thanks again. What i did was test through some perspex the other day. I also tried the "engraving" to "catch" the light and project it forward - this was semi successful but i think a better engraver or cnc would afford better results. so i am backing clear perspex with black and then drilling and mounting the LEDs in the black layer. the panel front is on normal white paper with black backing cut out for illuminated areas covered by a clear sheet like a transparency type material. The LEDs i am using are not standard, though round in shape the tops are concave which spreads the light pretty well and eliminates the spot for the most part.

i will post a pic when done.

300+ Forum Addict

The local plastics supplier, TAP Plastics, carries "lighting white" acrylic. It is more transparent than standard translucent acrylic. It works well to diffuse backlighting.

150+ Forum Groupie

I see TAP is only in the US. However, there may also be the same materials at the plastics supplier her in South Africa.

With that said, I will continue along the path i am currently on because i am planning on buying some OC kits and then, if necessary, doing it differently! I believe, even though this "simple" panel setup is just that, simple - using a stripped down keyboard, some relays and capacitors and some push buttons giving me approximately 16 toggles with LEDs and 13 push buttons it leaves me wanting more So i guess the "bug" has truly sunk its teeth into me!

Also, and i know you are tired of hearing this BUT i shall say it - i intend buying your second book - wait, let me rephrase - i intend getting my wife to buy your second book - for ME!!

I see your book will cover I/O. Will there be circuit diagrams for DIY I/O cards?

Thanks again Mike for ALL your help, inpt and feedback!

Heli Builder

shearder, If you do find a good plastic provider in SA, please let me know?

And did you see my post about the Light Tape? It think it could also be a used to light up your Perspex panel.

Mike, thanks for the link to: "Light Guide Techniques Using LED Lamps". It is interesting.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    I see your book will cover I/O. Will there be circuit diagrams for DIY I/O cards?
    There is a 16-input card, a 32-output card, and a radio head card with a rotary encoder and an LCD character display. These are simple, stand alone projects that demonstrate basic digital input and output, and how to use rotary encoders and character LCD displays. You can use them as starting points for your own designs, or you can use them as they are.

Multiple copies of these cards can sit on a shared RS-422 bus. There is a serial port to RS-422 adapter project. The adapter should work with a commercial USB to serial port adapter, though I've not tried it yet. All project documentation is in the book. This includes schematic, printed circuit board artwork, firmware listing, firmware flowchart, and sample host software.

An input card can be polled to determine the positions of the switches connected to it, or it can be configured to automatically send a message when a switch changes position. Polling is simpler, but slower. Automatic messaging has minimal latency, but requires a port arbitrator (which is another fully documented project) to make sure input messages don't collide.

There are a few other projects in the book as well.

Thanks for asking!

150+ Forum Groupie

That is fantastic! I saw your book updates and I had to ask when i saw the circuits. As i say, the bug had bitten - my wife just doesn't know how bad this affliction is becomming and i need a remedy

Definitely will be on my bookshelf ASAP - when it comes out!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast