Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Heli Builder
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Quote Originally Posted by 737 Gez View Post
    I'm taking a guess, but if someones on here they are building a cockpit i would say .. right?
    The South Africans are coming out of the simbuild closet.... At least there are some more crazy people close by.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

There are a few cockpits in South Africa, I know of a B737 motion sim, a B200 and then the simulators from this guys:

http://www.dooley.co.za/

Look under "MIRAGE" and "SIMULATORS". The Mirage F1 was built in 2003.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Conri View Post
    Hi there Shearder

Mine is set to the PMDG 738, and everything that happens on the PMDG's MCP happens on the OC MCP. I don't know how good your programming skills are, but mine is worse than the crime in central JHB!!

Conri du Toit
    Yep my skills are about the same in terms of programming. I am not afraid of trying anything - ONCE lol

I haven't started building my panel save for the fact i have made an enclosure and funny enough last night i decided on a different design so it is probably a good thing i procrastinated!!

Does anyone know a good site to get circuit diagrams etc for USB interfaces. I don't need much based on a new "cheaper" idea i have using a 2nd KB and 2 donar joysticks. Yes, the end result won't be AS realistic but good enough to stop using the KB. The donar KB will be stripped and buttons on the panel assigned to key presses which means i mirror the actual keyboard presses i use but with a button I will go slow cos money goes FAST... I also just bought a Dremel 300 to help with creating the panel/s...

Oh well, this won't be quick and dirty, that's for sure. I just wish i wasn't such an impatient person LOL

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    Does anyone know a good site to get circuit diagrams etc for USB interfaces. I don't need much based on a new "cheaper" idea i have using a 2nd KB and 2 donar joysticks.
    Did you look at Mike Powell's website links:
    http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/

DIY USB circuits normally require some sort of microcontroller programming. Then there is the PC side programming as well to interface the board via USB.

If it is not your domain I suggest rather buying a card such as the OC cards or other vendors. They are normally programmed with SOIC or a vendor specific scripting language. Lots of people on this sight that know these scripting, so you'll have lots of help.

For a joystick controller (USB) I highly recommend Leo Bodnar's BU0836(X).

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by AeroworxSA View Post

Buying electronic components from Mantech and Communica. Hardware from various sources, including Maizey, Non-Ferrous Metal Works and Model Mania.

Johan van Wyk
    Johan you do not perhaps have these shop's telephone numbers or website addresses? Or Google Earth/Maps tags? I want to check them out next time I'm in Jo'burg. I've been to Communica not so long ago but it was about 15 minutes before closing time.

Where can one find a good source of Plastics in SA? I'm looking for Lexan sheets and Delrin bars. These can be bought on eBay, but I want to compare if it isn't cheaper fom SA.

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Fritz

Mantech is 32 Laub Street; New Centre Johannesburg; South Africa;
    Postal Address
    PO Box 260455
    Excom
    South Africa
    Telephone Number +2711 493 9307
    Fax Number +2711 493 9319
    www.mantech.co.za

the other is www.communica.co.za

I can always try and assist as communica are about 10 mins from me.

A place for Lexan is:
    44 Harriet Avenue
    Driehoek
    Germiston
    Gauteng
    South Africa

P.O.Box 1195
    Germiston
    South Africa
    Contact Details
    Tel: +27 (11) 873 7965
    Fax: +27 (11) 873 7899

I haven't tried them though.

7. Thanks fweinrebe thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Yes i went to Mike Powell's site. I stached a grand away to buy OC cards and now I went and bought other stuff AND i need a new printer AND i bought a dremel system. So... i am TOO scared to spend any more money - or rather more than i can get away with by trying things for myself...

Hi Shearder

Have a look at www.desktopaviator.com. I use there 2040 boards and they are brilliant for push-buttons. If you add the 2110 puls generator, u can use 10 of the 20 inputs for toggle switches. The 2040 board is 30 euro and the 2110 is 29 euro. Must be the cheapest out there, and very easy to work with!!
    Regards
    Conri
    Conri du Toit
    CEO
    South African Airways Virtual
    www.saavirtual.org

150+ Forum Groupie

Ok so... I took the plunge and i guess, in retrospect i could have done this differently because as i was going along I added a lights panel and "engine" panel. Now i know the purists will cringe but hey, I have limited funds and SOME skill BUT - i could have bought a couple of OC kits for maybe a little more. But that's ok!!

So I basically went with toggles and push buttons in place of rotaries. I used the idea of relays and capacitors to give a momentary key press with a toggle moved up or down. They are DPDT toggles which one side will switch an LED on or off and the other giving a pulse via the relay and capacitor setup. I am also using a power supply from a PC to power all of this.

I have stripped a Dell keyboard and mapped, using a multimeter, all the letter keys and a few others. But anyways, the idea was primarily a basic MCP. Now I also have a light and engine start and shutdown panel with Gear switch.

Now, my question is, I have black and clear perspex cut to size. I just need to drill for LEDs etc. I need some advice.

I have 2x clear and 1x black perspex for each panel. SO the question is, how reflective would an LED be placed in clear perspex - in terms of "bleed" - would it illuminate an area (in the way fiber optics would) larger than wanted? I was thinking of printing the panels and sandwiching between 2 clear pieces OR on black only pasting the panel face on it and spraying clear lacquer over to protect it... any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have added in the pic of the panel layout. If anyone wants the visio files give me a shout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post

Now, my question is, I have black and clear perspex cut to size. I just need to drill for LEDs etc. I need some advice.

I have 2x clear and 1x black perspex for each panel. SO the question is, how reflective would an LED be placed in clear perspex - in terms of "bleed" - would it illuminate an area (in the way fiber optics would) larger than wanted? I was thinking of printing the panels and sandwiching between 2 clear pieces OR on black only pasting the panel face on it and spraying clear lacquer over to protect it... any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    From what I've read and tried myself is that clear Perspex does not illuminate the whole panel as you would think it would (refering to your fiber optics example). But to get it to illuminate, you have to sand the Perspex with a fine grain. The roughness will then spread the light a bit and also you have to seal the sides with white paint. You can then paint say black over the white paint (or whatever colour works for you).

Of course the sanded Perpex cannot be used for to top most layer.
    Last edited by fweinrebe; 05-06-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast