Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Another Philadelphia, PA Pilot!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Rich and I'm from Philadelphia, PA. (USA) I've been simming since the days of the ole TI-99. You older guys may remember. Back then all you had was a cross in the middle of the screen that was your aircraft.
    Well about 2 years ago I finally broke down and bought my first add-on. (Lvl-D 767). It was love at first flight. Not long after I purchased the Queen of the Skies. (PMDG 744) That was it. I've been hooked ever since. A few months ago I clicked on an add at Simmarket for WideView. Then I saw the pic's of their awesome simulator. I had no idea that you could tie that much hardware into MSFS. So I started researching the subject. I am AMAZED at some of the cockpits out there. I'm impressed. So impressed that I've decided to take on the task of building my own 737NG Cockpit. As real as my wallet and talents will allow. I've worked in the construction and automotive industries my entire life. Since I was 7 I've been building model kits. The more complicated it was the more I enjoyed it. So I think this is gonna be the perfect project for me.

Right now I'm in the research and planning stages. So ANY INPUT from anyone is welcome. What I need most right now are measurments. I've decided to start with the throttle Quad. Since the prices out there are ridiculous for THQ's I'm gonna make my own. Can anyone help with the proper measurments in english? Most of what I've found I can't read. I'm gonna use a mechanical reverser. BU0836 Card. I want everything to work. I'm gonna set it up so I can motorize it in the future. I think I like the electronic's at OpenCockpits. Looks like Magenta Boeing Glass and PM-Systems software. I just wont tell my wife how much it costs! I've already looked into getting a CNC to make my own panels. I'm still up in the air about the MCP and FMC. I'm leaning towards the MCP Kit at OpenCockpits. The FMC I was thinking of just undocking it to a touchscreen monitor for now. If that can be done. I've seen some really cool designs for rudder & yoke setups. I wanna build/create as much as I can and still have it look awesome.

Thanks for reading,

Rich
    Philadelphia, PA.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Welcome to the site Rich.

There's plenty of 737 builders here, so if you have a question or get stuck there's always a member around the corner to help out.

Looking farward to seeing your progress. Remember, anything the wife asks about was "only $58".
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

150+ Forum Groupie

This site www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm has lots of measurements and is in french, but you can use google translation facilities to get it into english - well, sort of english.
    If you use firefox as your browser, you can get a free plug-in to do the translation automatically.

--
    Bryn

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on FireFox. Works like a charm.

Rich

Nice to see a fellow local on here…

Sounds like you have some big plans. I too am in the process of starting to build my simpit. You can check out some pictures of what I have started on my intro thread http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15522

We should talk sometime and toss ideas around.

Take care
    -Scott

Officially Started!

Ok,

I officialy started my pit this week. I figured I'd start with the THQ. This way I can get the creative juices flowing. And then use it with my current setup. This website has already proved to be indespensable when it comes to resources. I've found pretty much everything I need as far as pictures and spec's (and even CAD drawings) for the THQ.

I managed to cut out the main plates for the housing section. MDF works just fine for this. Then I moved onto the handles. I DONT like them out of MDF. Not at all. They dont have the right look or feel. So I found a Metal supplier right around the corner. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them on some prices for Aluminum Plate. I tend to be a perfectionest when it comes to projects. This lil deal with not liking the THQ handles in wood is just the begining I think.

I am already having a blast working on this! I LOVE to build things. I love to beable to be creative. I just need to make sure the project moves slow enough for my wallet to keep up. I'm very curious as to what this Aluminum plate is gonna run me.

I'll keep ya's posted.

Til next post,

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rcb19136 View Post
    I just need to make sure the project moves slow enough for my wallet to keep up.
    Are you insane?? . I can guarantee you that your project will move slow enough but it still won't be slow enough for your wallet...especially if you are a perfectionist. Just ask around and see if anybody here can truly say their project has reached the finished state yet.

Just one afterthought about CNC machine & making your own panels. Unless you want to be able to say you made everything, it would seem to me that you would never save anything by making your own panels as opposed to buying ready made panels with integrated back-lighting. I'm not sure what a CNC machine costs, but I bet they are not cheap and unless you want to mass produce panels, that would hardly be a cost saving measure in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck with your project and don't worry too much about moving too fast... many challenges will slow you down .

Maurice

I just assumed that insanity was a requirment for this hobby. As for mass production. No. But if they turned out good enough I'd consider selling some of my work to help pay for the hobby. As for the CNC I've seen them on E-Bay for under $1000 US many times. For me, and most I would assume, alot of the enjoyment is in the creation and challenge of building the pit. I wanna make my own as much for the enjoyment as cost cutting. If the money doesnt go to panels its just gonna go to something else anyway. lol

I've totally enjoyed this past week planning and working on this THQ. My wife is tired of hearing me talk about it already. I keep a note pad with me so when an idea pops into my head I can get it on paper. I almost feel like I did when my dad bought me my first model car kit.

Rich