75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A Couple O' Questions

Hello guys. I just have a few questions before I start building. These are a bit less 'specific', so just do your best.

So anyways, since you guys seem to know everything (that's not an exaggeration), I have a couple questions.

First of all, I'd like to see what options real airliners have when ordering A320s, however I don't have quite enough money to buy one to find out . Does anybody know of any websites where I could find all the options airliners choose? It'd be appreciated.

And secondly, to enhance my home-cockpit experience, I want to choose the right headset. Does Airbus offer a choice of headsets, or do the airlines choose them? Could anybody point me out to a modern-looking headset, such as one you might find in an A320 cockpit? From what I've seen, no modern airlines (at least not for Buses) still uses the 'giant earcup' style.

Any help appreciated,
    Coolmanak

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Sennheiser is what most, but not all, European airlines use. The Airbus uses a five pin DIN plug similar to an XLR mike plug with two extra pins for the mic on the headset. $$$$$$$$$

Wish I could afford what Lufthansa uses. ^

Telex Airman 750 and Plantronics MS50 are both popular in the US.

I'll be settling for the Telex 750 at the more reasonable price.

Champeign taste on a beer budget.
    Last edited by Michael Carter; 03-25-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

75+ Posting Member

Which one of these do Lufthansa use? http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...?transid=cat90

And do you know the prices for either of those US ones? I'd like to buy one and use a converter to use it with FS.

2000+ Poster - Never Leaves the Sim Michael Carter's Avatar

Lufthansa uses the 46 series. They run around $750 USD.

The headbands are custom printed too with 'Lufthansa'. Wish I could get my hands on one. Cheap.

The Telex Airmen 750 can be had for a mere $250 or less if you shop around. E-Bay always has them for less, but be careful. It's probably gray market stuff and Telex won't honor the warranty.
    Boeing Skunk Works
    Remember...140, 250, and REALLY FAST!

We don't need no stinkin' ETOPS!

Powered by FS9 & BOEING

Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by coolmanak View Post
    First of all, I'd like to see what options real airliners have when ordering A320s, however I don't have quite enough money to buy one to find out . Does anybody know of any websites where I could find all the options airliners choose? It'd be appreciated.
    There are a lot of options out there and I don't think there is a list of it available, because some thnigs are just unimportant, even if you are a serious simmer, for example the fuse options for the overhead, a lot of them are custom options.

But there are some more important differences of course and I would suggest: Look around, decide what you want to do and choose an airline or even better a special airframe and try to find the configuration from pictures on airliners.net etc.

But be careful and don't run into details to much at the beginning, otherwise you will get mad searching for every screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carter View Post
    Sennheiser is what most, but not all, European airlines use. The Airbus uses a five pin DIN plug similar to an XLR mike plug with two extra pins for the mic on the headset. $$$$$$$$$
    It is indeed a XLR plug, but not the 3 pin variant known from mics, but the 5 pin variant, but toatally compatible with cables, sockets and plugs widely available in electronic shops.

And do you know the prices for either of those US ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carter View Post
    Lufthansa uses the 46 series. They run around $750 USD.
    I guess Lufthansa is using the ones with active noise guard, but it is not necessary to use them for the sim, because we can arrange the volume of our engine sounds and wind noises.

We are using the HME46C without noise cancelling and they were around 250€, but still a tough price (I think a main reason is the certicification from EASA and FAA).

I'd like to buy one and use a converter to use it with FS.
    I don't know if there a converters out there, because the capacitor mic of the Sennheiser headsets needs a power supply of 12-16V DC, after I figured this out, I constructed an adaption by myself for a dual headset setup:

Headsets:

Audio Out/In:

The PCB only contains 8 resistors and two capacitors, the sockets are Neutrik 3/5 pin XLR and the RCA jack receptable, all available from Farnell.